Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Supporting Events > Maxbimmer & Supporting Events
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #16
BMW_M_POWER
740il

Looking forward to the cruise!
However I am using an ancient blackberry so none of this app stuff is going to work for me

SOLD 04 ///M3
BMW_M_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:30 PM   #17
perryman
2nd Gear Member

To date, I've got to say the fall cruise 2015 was the most fun I've had in a car. I don't know what it was about it, but it just went so well. The route was a twisty and challenging, no one got lost, the stops/food were great, all in all it was a 10/10 event.

Midnight cruise last year was ruined by poor drivers making even poorer decisions, putting the lives of many in danger. That's not anyone's fault, nor can it really be prevented. It's just unfortunate.

Fall cruise last year was only a bummer because half the group got lost (myself included). The route had potential, we just didn't get to run most of it. IMO, that's the only thing that needs to be worked on.

I'm really digging this mapping app idea if it's possible. Give everyone access to the route 15 minutes before we leave, would be really cool.

Keep up the good work Jay. It's not easy getting this stuff perfect, but you keep on trying and I know everyone appreciates it.

Past
2002 WRX Stage (?) - Sedona Red Pearl - SOLD
perryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:38 AM   #18
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
1-warning rules in effect for all events, you get exactly one talking to if I hear complaints. If you don't change, you're out.
I've thought about this, and how one could possibly enforce it... it's tough. The way I see it, the type of person that is going to make dangerous passes and drive like an idiot is most likely an asshole and an unreasonable individual. You can't force them to do anything, all you can do is ask that they leave.

Putting myself in the mind of an asshole BMW driver… I’d probably have an ego, probably think that I’m a professional race car driver and that what I did wasn’t dangerous because of how skilled I am…and therefore shouldn’t be asked to leave. So I’d probably laugh and say that it’s a free country and I ain’t doing sh!t if you ask me to leave. You can wait around all day if you want, I’m not going to leave, and even if I do, I’m probably going to drive a few km down the road pull over… I’ve got the route map and I’m hundreds of km from home… why would I turn around and leave now?

Maybe while the driver isn’t looking someone goes and unscrews and takes the cartridges from a couple valves on their tires… doesn’t really cause any damage and will render them immobile until CAA or someone shows up?
Old 03-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #19
dbworld4k

You can't be seriously suggesting that we leave someone stranded or mess around with their car...

If someone is talked to, chances are they will calm down afterwards or leave. I'd love to see that person try and do otherwise.
You're not wanted. Why would you stick around in a group of people that does not accept your presence? Being made to look like a moron in large group can be very humbling, even for an idiot. In fact, that's one thing such people do understand very well.

dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #20
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by estoguy View Post
I haven't heard of Zello before. That would be pretty neat.

So what's on the sched for this year, Jay? The usual, Spring, Midnight and Fall Cruises?
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavocSteve View Post
This year, I'll actually be able to make it unless it falls on a family occasion. Last time I went was at midnight cruise when I had my E30 and that was long ago. Looking forward to meeting people and taking part in a nice cruise. Hopefully it will be like the one with the BMW Charter in Ottawa. Bunch of old guys just cruising the back roads.
Heh, it's literally nothing like BMWCC events. Age median is about 25 years lower, and the driving speeds pretty much double. While I aim to slow down our group much more vigilantly than I did in the past (these cars are getting way too fast, I remember when 240hp M3s or 282hp 540i's would be the fastest cars present), the overall vibe of our events are pretty different from BMWCC. Up to you what you prefer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsbrandon View Post
I've only actually been on one of your cruises but I really enjoyed it and was hoping to make it to more so hopefully timing for cruises this season works out better for me.

Regarding app support, it would be really cool if there was a mapping app that you could share the route with. That way it could remain a bit unknown before the initial meet up and then share it there. Same as paper hand outs I suppose but perhaps a bit easier to use on the go. I can also attest to Zello. It works through Bluetooth too so nice for those of us playing music as it will cut into the music like an incoming phone call. Also works across android/iOS platforms so should work for most people. Can easily set up a channel with a password and tell people at the initial meet so we can communicate on the go quickly and tell someone to simmer down if they're driving crazy or alert other drivers of police ahead etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's great to hear, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_M_POWER View Post
Looking forward to the cruise!
However I am using an ancient blackberry so none of this app stuff is going to work for me
I have total sympathy for you. I was a Nokia/Windows smart phone user from 2005 until just a few months ago when I bought my first Android. There is a giant, terrifying world of apps out there for mainstream OS holy shit. But this is why I will never completely abandon paper routes, you can't rely on technology completely. You and other smartphone-handicapped drivers will still get full printed details before we leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryman View Post
To date, I've got to say the fall cruise 2015 was the most fun I've had in a car. I don't know what it was about it, but it just went so well. The route was a twisty and challenging, no one got lost, the stops/food were great, all in all it was a 10/10 event.

Midnight cruise last year was ruined by poor drivers making even poorer decisions, putting the lives of many in danger. That's not anyone's fault, nor can it really be prevented. It's just unfortunate.

Fall cruise last year was only a bummer because half the group got lost (myself included). The route had potential, we just didn't get to run most of it. IMO, that's the only thing that needs to be worked on.

I'm really digging this mapping app idea if it's possible. Give everyone access to the route 15 minutes before we leave, would be really cool.

Keep up the good work Jay. It's not easy getting this stuff perfect, but you keep on trying and I know everyone appreciates it.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
I've thought about this, and how one could possibly enforce it... it's tough. The way I see it, the type of person that is going to make dangerous passes and drive like an idiot is most likely an asshole and an unreasonable individual. You can't force them to do anything, all you can do is ask that they leave.

Putting myself in the mind of an asshole BMW driver… I’d probably have an ego, probably think that I’m a professional race car driver and that what I did wasn’t dangerous because of how skilled I am…and therefore shouldn’t be asked to leave. So I’d probably laugh and say that it’s a free country and I ain’t doing sh!t if you ask me to leave. You can wait around all day if you want, I’m not going to leave, and even if I do, I’m probably going to drive a few km down the road pull over… I’ve got the route map and I’m hundreds of km from home… why would I turn around and leave now?

Maybe while the driver isn’t looking someone goes and unscrews and takes the cartridges from a couple valves on their tires… doesn’t really cause any damage and will render them immobile until CAA or someone shows up?
I've asked people to leave in the past before, and they listened immediately. It helps that most people are terrified of me when I'm pissed (and often, happy also). I have no problem firmly enforcing these rules and making sure idiots go home and leave us alone. No worries about that!

Thanks for all of the replies guys, keep em coming. I've downloaded and set up my Zello and Pathshare apps, just going to test them over the next few weeks to check for bugs and get a good feel for them. I will post the cruise thread with confirmed date at the start of April.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #21
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
You can't be seriously suggesting that we leave someone stranded or mess around with their car...

If someone is talked to, chances are they will calm down afterwards or leave. I'd love to see that person try and do otherwise.
You're not wanted. Why would you stick around in a group of people that does not accept your presence? Being made to look like a moron in large group can be very humbling, even for an idiot. In fact, that's one thing such people do understand very well.
No love for the old flat tire trick? We could leave behind a little girls bike for the driver to use like in The Goonies

I was kidding.

I agree with you that getting called out in front of a large group will probably be sufficient in fixing the problem 99% of the time.

There are some assholes out there though that don't give a shit and will go out of their way to ruin it for everyone else... I was just wondering how these people would be dealt with if that situation arose.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:55 PM   #22
xander_g
Personal Injury Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
Yea, its one of the cardinal man-rules - never mess with another man's vehicle.
xander_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:27 AM   #23
estoguy
3rd Gear Member

Totally agree on Fall 2015 Cruise... it was my first time out and it was a blast - great route, great driving and people!

And I definitely like May 6... I'm off that weekend!

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

"The future is uncertain and the end is always near."
estoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:59 AM   #24
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

I am not going to echo my comments from prior threads, I enjoy these cruises tremendously.

My suggestion is that cruises should always be on Sundays. Many people these days work Saturdays as part of their regular schedule, although I am lucky 90% of the time and can just adjust my work schedule to accommodate them, I don't think many people are that lucky ( I know of about 5 people that are automatically unable to attend already because they work Saturdays). Coincidentally, the 6th is out of the question for me too.

So yes, in a few words, please switch to the 7th and keep them on Sundays, anyone else in this predicament too?

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec-ST Tuning Kit- Lowered-Wokke Chips- Custom Exhaust- 18" MK1's-KN Filters+ M Steering Wheel- Stereo Upgrade +++
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE

Last edited by bmwm5lover; 03-18-2017 at 10:02 AM.
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #25
estoguy
3rd Gear Member

As to above, re Sundays... the last two cruises I was on, Fall 2015 and Spring 2016 were on Sundays. I usually have every other weekend off, so, its not a big deal on my end, but I do see the Sunday logic. I'd be good with the 7th too. Just my $0.05.

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

"The future is uncertain and the end is always near."
estoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:14 PM   #26
Big_Vasile46
Always Learning

I would have to agree on that Sunday May 7th would be a better date.
Big_Vasile46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:40 PM   #27
perryman
2nd Gear Member

Seeing as how I drive 400km+ to attend these cruises, I could pull off Saturday if I have to, but Sunday is obviously way better for me as I can take Saturday night to drive down and already be in the area the morning of.

TL;DR Sundays make sense, and if this were a poll, I'd vote for it.

Past
Old 03-19-2017, 10:01 PM   #28
Sam!
1st Gear Newbie

This sounds like fun. I used to do a lot of these in my old Subaru days. Do you guys usually gravel paths? Just thinking about my poor paint if that's the case.
Sam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:53 PM   #29
perryman
2nd Gear Member

Of the 4 cruises I've been to, I can only think of one single bump I hit and said "oh sh*t".

Jay is pretty good at finding routes that are nice-car friendly. His Z3M is low and quite pretty, I'm sure he doesn't want to destroy it either.

Past
Old 03-20-2017, 06:00 PM   #30
damonchoy
Breaks My Wallet

Sup guys, looking forward to seeing you all again. Just want to say I thoroughly enjoy these cruises and look forward to them every year. Any issues I have are super minor - I've enjoyed myself every year despite running into some issues here and there.

Here are my notes, in no particular order:

1. Regarding the date, +1 for Sunday the 7th or Sunday the 21st. I work every Saturday, making a Saturday cruise either impossible or very difficult for me. Later in the month would also be preferable (21st) for me, but that's just me being picky. The 7th would be great as well!

2. Keep the cruises the way they are. Our cruises aren't "let's enjoy scenery and drive slow", they're "let's enjoy our cars and a bit of scenery". To me, the main point is to drive our cars the way they should be driven. This doesn't give us a free pass to drive irresponsibly and it also doesn't mean to drive 10/10 racecar mode 100% of the time. To me, it means driving 7-8/10ish on the right parts of the road and calming down as necessary. I agree that we could calm down a bit, but more in terms of cutting out dangerous passing over blind hills and aggressively unnecessary shit on the highway before lunch. I have found our pace through the twisties to be comfortable.

3. With that said, I think it's important to state very clearly at the start of the cruise that everyone has different levels of skill and comfort and that their position in the pack should reflect that. Everyone who has been going for years knows each other and knows how we drive. I've never once had a problem with any of the familiar faces. I feel very comfortable surrounded by you guys. It's only ever the new guys who I see messing things up. Nothing bothers me more than the new guy in the stock E90 328i or E46 330 (nothing against these cars) cutting off our own members and passing over blind hills just to get to the front when they can't hold the pace in the twisties without endangering themselves. It's also infuriating to see them getting way too excited on the highway there. Guys, you can see Jay right at the front, and he's not going fast. Calm down. Nothing is particularly exciting before lunch, and that's the way it should be.

I remember in when I was new to the cruises, you reminded everyone at the very start that it was ok to be in the middle or the back of the pack if that's where our skill and comfort levels were. You asked us to be honest with ourselves. I started in the back, then moved to the middle the next year, and now that I have significantly more experience and am totally comfortable and aware of my and my car's limits, I hang up front. But you bet your ass I didn't start there.

I think it would would be a good idea to have a blurb for the new guys at the start of the cruise. Something along the lines of asking them to honestly evaluate their skills and experience and to place themselves in the pack appropriately. Remind them that if the cars behind them are bottling up and the cars ahead are getting away around the corners, that they're probably not where they should be. Just because you can "keep up" by going WOT in the straights doesn't mean you're where you should be. There's nothing wrong with pulling over and letting the faster drivers by. No, you won't lose the pack since you have turn-by-turn directions right in front of you.

I also think it's a good idea to remind them that they highway portion should be relatively calm and that before lunch, it doesn't matter where in the pack you are! We're all going to and stopping at the same place, stop with the passing on the shoulder. Sure, do a few pulls, have a bit of fun, but don't get yourself impounded before lunch. The real fun starts after lunch.

4. Improved communication through an app or something would be a good idea if you have some spare time to implement it, but I don't think it's completely necessary. I really just think giving everyone a stern but friendly talking to about the stuff I just mentioned at the very start would solve most of our issues. With that said, having an app to communicate through would be awesome! It'd much easier discuss if someone's being a jackass if we could just do it through the app. I haven't heard of Zello before, but both WhatsApp and Slack are options to consider (not sure of the limit on the number of people you can have in a chat, though).

I think it's awesome that you're coming to us for some feedback. Additionally, if you need any help implementing any of this or even just want to bounce stuff off us, go for it. We're here to help!

Past: Fern Green E36 328i Convertible, Imola on Alcantara E46 330ci M-Sport, x2 E36 328i Sedans, Le Mans Sunset 350Z
Current: E36 M3 Cabrio - California Import, Estoril Blue, AC Schnitzer Type 1, Hard Motorsport Flares, Toyo Proxes R1R, Broadway Static
damonchoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: