Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 08:27 PM   #76
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator
 
T.Dot_E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: GTA
Posts: 9,782


Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Power View Post
So is this the best way of going INTO the test?

Also - my car is swapped from manual to automatic so the check engine light bulb will be on regardless. The bulb has been pulled. Also, one of my o2 sensors is donezo - need that fixed before the test? what a pain this is.
An auto to manual swap shouldn't cause a check engine light if done right. What codes are you getting? Of course the o2 sensor needs to be replaced before the test. That is probably the most important emissions related sensor which can cause your car to run rich and burn more gas.

Also pulling the bulb will be an automatic fail. They take pictures of the dash, key on engine off to ensure the check engine light, lights up. Not only that but they'll also know you have codes when plugged into obd2 port. Any engine code is an automatic fail.
T.Dot_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:42 PM   #77
E36 Power
DEFINE GF
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 898
What a headache!

I guess I need to get this looked after asap. What a headache wow.
__________________
96' 328i M Tech | 15' 328i M Sport
E36 Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #78
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator
 
T.Dot_E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: GTA
Posts: 9,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Power View Post
What a headache!
It's not really a headache if you keep up with maintenance and have a properly running car.

It's actually a much easier test to pass as long as the computer thinks everything is good, it doesn't matter what comes out your tail pipe
T.Dot_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #79
E36 Power
DEFINE GF
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 898
I have my peake scan tool so I'm going to run it tomorrow and see what codes are coming up. I know for sure that 2/4 o2 sensors are throwing a code though
__________________
96' 328i M Tech | 15' 328i M Sport
E36 Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #80
jrsmitchell
Switchtronic
 
jrsmitchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 276
Are we talking about your '96 328? Model year 1997 and older get's the old two-speed idle test. They shouldn't need to check the status of your CEL.
__________________
Jeff | '94 BMW Alpina B3 | '06 BMW 325XI Wagon
jrsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #81
E36 Power
DEFINE GF
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 898
Ya my car is a 1996 328i.

So I'm exempt from this check engine light bit??

Will one of 2 o2 sensors being shot fail me?
__________________
96' 328i M Tech | 15' 328i M Sport
E36 Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #82
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator
 
T.Dot_E30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: GTA
Posts: 9,782
My bad, forgot about the older cars. My experience so far was with a 2000 528i which fail because of the check engine light. Passed once the issues were resolved and all monitors were ready.
T.Dot_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #83
jrsmitchell
Switchtronic
 
jrsmitchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Power View Post
Ya my car is a 1996 328i.

So I'm exempt from this check engine light bit??

Will one of 2 o2 sensors being shot fail me?
As I understand it, they shouldn't care if your check engine light is on for a 1997 and older. They should do a quick visual inspection ("Yep, looks like a car!") and then they'll do the 2 stage idle test where they put a sniffer device to measure the CO and HC in the exhaust at low and medium revs.

If your shot O2 sensor causes abnormally high emissions of CO and HC then you are going to fail. If not, you won't. You probably won't know unless you try
__________________
Jeff | '94 BMW Alpina B3 | '06 BMW 325XI Wagon
jrsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:22 PM   #84
TSI
Reverse Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsmitchell View Post
As I understand it, they shouldn't care if your check engine light is on for a 1997 and older. They should do a quick visual inspection ("Yep, looks like a car!") and then they'll do the 2 stage idle test where they put a sniffer device to measure the CO and HC in the exhaust at low and medium revs.

If your shot O2 sensor causes abnormally high emissions of CO and HC then you are going to fail. If not, you won't. You probably won't know unless you try
Nah, they won't do the test at all if you have a CEL. In my experience, however, a 3 min disconnect of the battery immediatly before the test should address that issue
TSI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #85
E36 Power
DEFINE GF
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 898
LOL seems to be some different opinions if they care or not about the check engine light

I guess I will just go and see what happens - bulb pulled and on (I know this because of the peake tool)
__________________
96' 328i M Tech | 15' 328i M Sport
E36 Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #86
jrsmitchell
Switchtronic
 
jrsmitchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 276
Print out this:
http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment...STDPROD_075681

Or this:
http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/stdprodcons...rod_080001.pdf

and ask them to point to where they should check the status of the light for a '97 and older.

Granted I have a '94, but they didn't look at the dash or attempt to hook up to my OBD1 port. Shouldn't be any different on a '96.
__________________
Jeff | '94 BMW Alpina B3 | '06 BMW 325XI Wagon
jrsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #87
E36 Power
DEFINE GF
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsmitchell View Post
Print out this:
http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/environment...STDPROD_075681

Or this:
http://www.ene.gov.on.ca/stdprodcons...rod_080001.pdf

and ask them to point to where they should check the status of the light for a '97 and older.

Granted I have a '94, but they didn't look at the dash or attempt to hook up to my OBD1 port. Shouldn't be any different on a '96.
thanks for that - i was actually skimming over that between posts and saw the pre 97 bit

Where did you get your test done? Hoping for now CEL scan off the bat. Usually just gone to crappy tire at queensway / 427
__________________
96' 328i M Tech | 15' 328i M Sport
E36 Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:18 PM   #88
jrsmitchell
Switchtronic
 
jrsmitchell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 276
Call ahead, alot of places got rid of their sniffer equipment and don't do the two stage idle test anymore I used to get mine done at the local CT as well but they only do the OBD2 test now.

There's a tool you can use on the Drive Clean site to find one that does it. I got mine done at Active Green & Ross near Eglinton and Dixie. There were pretty cool once I reassured them it was normal for an Alpina to have two VIN numbers
__________________
Jeff | '94 BMW Alpina B3 | '06 BMW 325XI Wagon
jrsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #89
E36 Power
DEFINE GF
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsmitchell View Post
Call ahead, alot of places got rid of their sniffer equipment and don't do the two stage idle test anymore I used to get mine done at the local CT as well but they only do the OBD2 test now.

There's a tool you can use on the Drive Clean site to find one that does it. I got mine done at Active Green & Ross near Eglinton and Dixie. There were pretty cool once I reassured them it was normal for an Alpina to have two VIN numbers
HAHA ya I can imagine! picturing the techy scratching his head

Going to try there, not to far a drive for me anyways. Thanks! Keep this thread alive with what happens with mine
__________________
96' 328i M Tech | 15' 328i M Sport
E36 Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2018