Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2017, 04:15 PM   #1
dypp
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 3
Did I do ok? Just bought a 2018 X3



Not really an expert with discounts and negotiation. But I know these 2018 X3 models are pretty hot so they aren't really struggling to see these. I just got a unit that is off production, maybe here in 2-3 weeks. I only got 6% off msrp on it. Did I do ok?

I also traded in my 09 bmw m3 for only 20k. So they are probably making money there anyway?
dypp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:07 PM   #2
TSI
Reverse Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,451
Not sure why you'd go from an M3 to an X3, but to each their own. 6% sounds decent, some dealers here are known for doing zero discount on new models.

I'd have given you more for the M3. Oh well.
TSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:06 PM   #3
dypp
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 3
How much more? I've done the usual homework, and it's looking like it'll be around 23-28k on autotrader and such. But here's the thing, the m3 has 120k on it, and also the tires are completely done. So new tires are needed. Plus service is missing for the past 40k or so. No damages though, clean.

I know, it's a done deal now but interested to know what the market price is from other's opinion.
dypp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:21 PM   #4
jabela
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,229
Tires can be had for $1000 from tirerack.com, but not having service in 40k KM is pretty bad. Poor car. I hope the next owner isn't stuck with a sludged up engine.

I never understand why people want to know if they got a good deal after the deal is done. Those questions should be asked before, not after.

I'd say the worst part of your deal is buying an early production unit. Early units in a big model update tend to have more problems that ones built later. I'd never buy the first model year of a car.
__________________

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.maisonapothecare.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:32 PM   #5
dypp
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Canada
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabela View Post
Tires can be had for $1000 from tirerack.com, but not having service in 40k KM is pretty bad. Poor car. I hope the next owner isn't stuck with a sludged up engine.

I never understand why people want to know if they got a good deal after the deal is done. Those questions should be asked before, not after.

I'd say the worst part of your deal is buying an early production unit. Early units in a big model update tend to have more problems that ones built later. I'd never buy the first model year of a car.
well it might not be 40k, it could be much less than that. I just honestly cannot remember might be closer to 10-20

I usually have 0 problems with new models. So I don't think it's a huge issue.

The reason why these questions are asked after and not before it's because people don't answer questions before hand. But once it's done, people can relate to those numbers.

Honestly, it's almost meaningless to ask openly "what's a good deal I can expect with car X". That, almost, always, gets you no answer.
dypp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:00 AM   #6
jabela
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada
Posts: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by dypp View Post
well it might not be 40k, it could be much less than that. I just honestly cannot remember might be closer to 10-20

I usually have 0 problems with new models. So I don't think it's a huge issue.

The reason why these questions are asked after and not before it's because people don't answer questions before hand. But once it's done, people can relate to those numbers.

Honestly, it's almost meaningless to ask openly "what's a good deal I can expect with car X". That, almost, always, gets you no answer.
Well 10-20k is waaaay less than 40k and wouldn't be a negative as it's within the normal service interval.

I would have given you $22k for your M3 if all it needed was tires.

It's more meaningless to ask if you got a good deal, unless you want to feel bad if someone tells you you could have done better.

The right way to do it is to get the dealer's price, then ask others if it's good before signing the purchase agreement.

Sounds like the price for the X3 was OK, but you may have been hosed on the trade in for your M3.

Black Book avg price is $34k.
http://www.canadianblackbook.com/ave...20Coupe/L6H2W6

Trade in value for base M3 is between $25-28k.
http://www.canadianblackbook.com/tra...W/X3/30/L6H2W6

VMR lists $23-26k.
http://www.vmrcanada.com/used-car/va...09-BMW-M3.html
__________________

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.maisonapothecare.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:07 AM   #7
TSI
Reverse Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Oakville
Posts: 1,451
Yeah, three months ago I'd happily have paid 30k for a good facelift E90 M3 (assuming 4-door and manual) when I was looking for one.
TSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:19 AM   #8
dbworld4k
Moderator
 
dbworld4k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: YYZ
Posts: 7,940
Did I do ok? Just bought a 2018 X3

A 2009 M3 with 120k would’ve probably been around $27-29k so you definitely lost a couple thousand on the car after considering the HST savings. If your convenience was worth $3-$4k then that’s what worked for you and that’s fine.

As for the X3 good deal, there’s zero value in finding out after be fact so I’ll leave it at that.

Enjoy the X3!
__________________
'12 M3 6MT Alpine White + Fox Red Extended | '09 328i 6MT Space Gray + Saddle Brown

dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:36 PM   #9
xfactor
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dypp View Post
Not really an expert with discounts and negotiation. But I know these 2018 X3 models are pretty hot so they aren't really struggling to see these. I just got a unit that is off production, maybe here in 2-3 weeks. I only got 6% off msrp on it. Did I do ok?

I also traded in my 09 bmw m3 for only 20k. So they are probably making money there anyway?
6% is usually a decent discount on a car that's not on the lot. I got 8% off my M4 in spring but I enjoy negotiation and have a long history with my dealer. Sold my e92 (08) m3 for 30K in June with plenty of people competing to buy. The car was in great shape and I kinda didn't want to sell it but had to for space.

The X3 and the 335 is kinda the bread and butter of BMW and the margin is low. Also, the more package you have on your car the better the discounts. So if you got base and got 5% great, if you got x, y and z and get 5%, there is room to squeeze some more.

If you're going to be in the BMW ownership for a while, I suggest you join BMW Trillium club, it's a race club with amazing members. And once you pass your 1 year membership term, you quality for additional 2% discount from the sticker price. Well worth the membership fee even if you're not a road race enthusiast.
https://www.trilliumbmwclub.ca

You got a decent discount and maybe lost out on 4K on the old car, but life is short, enjoy the new vehicle. I'm sure you'll make it back soon enough.
xfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:12 PM   #10
v_bimmer
Jailbait FTW
 
v_bimmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 2,137
which x3 model did you go with? im looking into getting the X3 M40i on euro delivery this summer for my wife very good reviews on that car, 4.4seconds 0-60 times on race logic
__________________
v_bimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:52 AM   #11
1BADBMR
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,635
I would have tried to sell the M3 privately. Stealerships give you nuttin for what its worth
__________________
_____________________________________________
98 M3 Sedan (SOLD)
06 Yamaha R6 (SOLD)
04 Honda Civic (Beater)
93 318i (SOLD)
1BADBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:02 PM   #12
bmw.ae
Parkview
 
bmw.ae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: YORKVILLE
Posts: 127
LOL @ Jabela - I don't think he read your post correctly.

6% off is a fair deal and a hassle free trade in $22.5k after tax isn't bad. One can't expect a dealership to pay retail for a trade in that requires recon. Enjoy your X3, it's a great vehicle and we're selling a lot of them.

As for asking about your deal afterwards, very normal thing to want to know - but you'll run into the odd "know it all" on on this forum that'll bash every and anything you post. Ignore it.

Welcome
__________________
2012 F30 328i Sport
2001 E46 330 cabrio - sold
1994 E36 325i cabrio - sold
1994 E36 320i sedan - RIP
bmw.ae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 03:08 PM   #13
bmw.ae
Parkview
 
bmw.ae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: YORKVILLE
Posts: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADBMR View Post
I would have tried to sell the M3 privately. Stealerships give you nuttin for what its worth
well hold on there a cotton pickin' minute! You mean to tell me...as a business, I should lose money by paying retail for trade ins and selling cars at/below cost

I want some of what you're smoking....
__________________
2012 F30 328i Sport
2001 E46 330 cabrio - sold
1994 E36 325i cabrio - sold
1994 E36 320i sedan - RIP
bmw.ae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:20 AM   #14
lvan
6th Gear Member
 
lvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 5,381
Send a message via MSN to lvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dypp View Post
Not really an expert with discounts and negotiation. But I know these 2018 X3 models are pretty hot so they aren't really struggling to see these. I just got a unit that is off production, maybe here in 2-3 weeks. I only got 6% off msrp on it. Did I do ok?

I also traded in my 09 bmw m3 for only 20k. So they are probably making money there anyway?

The dealer could always sell your car if they wanted to. They always have some used tires as they push tire sales. So some half decent ones in their storage gotta be laying around. They would have to look up some sales to see if it is worth selling that car. I been told they just call wholesalers or small dealers, and they put them in a bidding war and get the best price for the car. Some dealers may sell it as is before they pull the trigger and call it a day.

Most of my friends that had cars worth of $15K and up tell me that it was hard to sell. I really don't have that information to help you. Enjoy the X3. The M cars are also nice, but 4 years of factory warranty is also nice where you dont have to worry about anything.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:37 AM   #15
lvan
6th Gear Member
 
lvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 5,381
Send a message via MSN to lvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw.ae View Post
LOL @ Jabela - I don't think he read your post correctly.

6% off is a fair deal and a hassle free trade in $22.5k after tax isn't bad. One can't expect a dealership to pay retail for a trade in that requires recon. Enjoy your X3, it's a great vehicle and we're selling a lot of them.

As for asking about your deal afterwards, very normal thing to want to know - but you'll run into the odd "know it all" on on this forum that'll bash every and anything you post. Ignore it.

Welcome
I think selling can be a nightmare and not profitable. When I traded in my beater pontiac, I came over the deal that included super clean example and full two years of BMW factory warranty. Have I tried to sell my car, I would have missed the deal and wasted my time. And the dealer offered a brand new F30 330I for a week WHILE my car gets ready. That one week rental is easly 1K if I had to pay. The funny thing is, the dealer was not pushy to get their car back, but I did not wanna mess around too much with 70K dollar car. Now I know his trade was much higher in value, but it can play out similarly.


Also it all comes down to what kind of coin are ya making. I think if you are making 6 digits, you should not worry. Enjoy the new car.

Last edited by lvan; 01-22-2018 at 01:39 AM.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2018