Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-06-2015, 01:48 PM   #1
Sxybeemr325
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Sxybeemr325
Lightbulb Please help with my 545i E60

Hello everyone.

First, I apologize in advance for the long post but we are looking for some help...To give you guys a bit of background info, we have recently purchased two x 2004 BMW 545i (N62 engine) from the same guy. One has been involved in a front end accident and it runs fine(cosmetic damage only with no check engine light), and we were told the other would need a new engine. The one that needs the engine is the one that we will be keeping, and a friend of ours will be keeping the one with cosmetic damage. Both cars are currently sitting in our driveway.

My boyfriend is pretty handy with cars. He has done a few engine swaps before, has rebuilt complete cars.. and so on… I mentioned the two cars since we have been swapping parts from the one with the working engine onto mine to see what could be the problem…. The car in question has 226 000 km. At first, the car would not start, it would only crank. We scanned the car using INPA and DIS. We got code 2737 (EWS 3.3 manipulation protection) along with multiple other codes…. He synced the EWS to the DME. The car now starts but it misfire badly…

We do not hear any metal on metal ticks in the engine which gave us some hope that maybe the engine does not need to be replaced after all… We have tried swapping parts with the other bmw. We tried swapping the 2 cam shaft sensors, crank shaft sensors, spark plugs, cleaned the vanos solenoids, replaced the ccv, we also tried disconnecting the battery for 24 hours… and still no luck…. The engine still misfire pretty badly...

We scanned the car using INPA and DIS. These are the codes we get with INPA/DIS:
code 2737 (EWS 3.3 manipulation protection).
2783(hot film air mass meter).
274E(misfire detection, checksum failure)
2748(misfire detection cylinder 7)
2747(misfire detection cylinder 3)
27BB(camshaft control outlet Vanos)
2731(Camshaft control inlet)
27B6(control inlet- Vanos bank 2)
2782(camshaft sensor outlet)
2781(Camshaft sensor inlet)
299B(communication DME-IBS)

We have also scanned the car using a regular car scanner and the following codes come up:
P0102(mass or volume air flow A circuit low)
P0300(random/multiple cylinder misfire detected)
P0307(cylinder 7 misfire detected)
P0303(cylinder 3 misfire detected)
P0014(B camshaft position timing over-advanced or system performance bank 1)
P0011(A camshaft position timing over-advanced or system performance bank 1)
P0020 (A camshaft position actuator circuit/open bank 2)
P0368(Camshaft position sensor B circuit high bank 1)
P0343(camshaft position sensor A circuit high bank 1 or single sensor)

Again, we have purchased the vehicle in this condition and have no clue what happened or how it all went down.. We bought the car knowing we would need to do an engine swap on it, but we just want to confirm there is no other options prior to us doing that...Could the timing be messed up? Is it worth trying anything else prior to buying another engine? We can swap parts with the other one sitting in our driveway so that works to our advantage. We did search on this forum and all over the web. Any input would be greatly appreciated! If you guys think of anything else we could try prior to us doing an engine swap, please share your ideas...

Thank you in advance for the help!

Last edited by Sxybeemr325; 09-06-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Sxybeemr325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:03 PM   #2
windwagen
6th Gear Member

Did you try swapping the mass airflow sensor?

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:31 AM   #3
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

MAF swap is step 1. I'm not as familiar with the N62, but from those codes it definitely sounds as though the timing is off. It could be as simple as resetting the VANOS, or it could be a skipped tooth. Have you opened it up to look inside?

I would also suggest you check the wiring harness. It's a remote possibility, but the wiring may be damaged. It'd be a shame to swap the engine and get the same issue. It could also be a DME fault, but again, less likely.
TSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:43 AM   #4
stoopid
1st Gear Newbie

Hi,

If you have the ability to look at the live data you can see the reading for the vanos/cam positions to see whether the readings are way out, or if there are no reading at all.

Is it possible to hook the connectors for the VANOS solenoids the wrong way, or install them wrong, i.e. exhaust solenoid in the intake or vice versa?

To me, it looks like you have a couple of different issues which may be related. One being the VANOS system and the other with the mass air flow and misfires (possible vacuum leak?).
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 11:23 AM   #5
Sxybeemr325
1st Gear Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Sxybeemr325
Hello and sorry for the late response and thank you for everyone's ideas. We did try everything listed above....and more.... And no luck...We are left to think that the timing is off on my engine...We've picked up another engine over the long week end and we will be doing an engine swap in hopes that the car will run as it should after.

In the meantime, I've cleaned up the car nicely... I've peeled off an old scratched up 3M sticker from the hood and both fenders. Added a trunk spoiler and a roof spoiler. Swapped the front seats for the M5 active seats instead. I've changed the front bumper to an M5 bumper. Changed the front kidney grills to black ones instead of the existing chipped up chrome grills... I've also replaced the old chipped up/faded BMW emblems. I've steamed cleaned the interior nicely... I gave this car some much needed TLC.... Now, we hope that the engine swap will do the trick and will make this car run like it should.
Sxybeemr325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:23 PM   #6
windwagen
6th Gear Member

You should be able to check the timing using the marks before writing off the engine. How about a compression check?

If you're doing an engine swap - may as well go big...get a LS2 or something.... ha ha j/k

E39 528i Touring - Unicorn Package (5 Spd M)
E39 M5 - for Sunny Days
windwagen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: