Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-11-2016, 07:48 PM   #1
AbbyDoug
1st Gear Newbie

Transmission Kicked Into Manual Mode On It's Own

My transmission on its own kicked into manual mode and a lower gear than was inappropriate (the engine revved too high) when I was out for a drive today. It stayed there for about 5 seconds then returned to auto and kicked up to a higher, appropriate gear followed by a slight rattling sound for about 30 seconds. The rattle sounded more like something like a branch was being dragged under the car. The rattle stopped and the car has been fine ever since. I was going downhill through curves at the time. Scared the heck out of me. Any thoughts about what happened? I drive a 2009 328ix.
AbbyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:45 PM   #2
Blackedout95
6th Gear Member

Ill be honest with my opinion here...

Driver error, don't be offended but before I call software issue I bet you accidently engaged it and as per normal operation and based on your speed and pedal position it naturally down shifted (explains the followed by high rpm). It was then followed by a higher rpm as you described and took longer than you are used to in selecting a gear again as designed when in this position DS/Manual with no input from the driver.

I am not calling you a liar but I would put more money on someone touching that shifter than a software issue like that, if anything the issue is generally will not engaged.

However if I am wrong I suggest you visit a shop immediately as something could be seriously wrong or dangerous. If you are new to the car and how the shifter and manual mode works and you scared yourself and created this event... no worries, what happened was normal.

Last edited by Blackedout95; 06-11-2016 at 10:54 PM.
Blackedout95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: