Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-05-2009, 02:38 PM   #16
e30drifter
SLYDWAYZ

So my 318is(m44) is electric fan. Am I good? Is this the same as having the fan delete mod in an M42?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JUpYp5eqTbk-(GO NUTS FOR DONUTS)
"if you think education is difficult, you should try being stupid"
e30drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:33 PM   #17
mhamouda
Lookin like M

ill open this thread again instead of opening a new one..

i bought the FDK from understeer..
and it came with 2 peices, the thermostat with the gasket
and the switch with the thread cap.

now besides the water wetter, distilled water, and the coolant water, what will I need?

i see many people installed an electric fan, and many didnt.. do I need it?

will i need to change my coolant sensor?

thanks!
mhamouda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:16 AM   #18
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

what you have is good enough, although..... i doo recommend getting an electric fan just for extra cooling. Your electric fan is meant for your a/c and doesnt put out enough air flow. So in a hot day stuck in traffic, you wouldnt want to risk it. Besides an electric fan goes for what, more or less 150-250..

Jay
Old 07-13-2010, 08:41 AM   #19
328IScreamer
6th Gear Member

I never installed the electric fan and have never seen my temp gauge go over half way.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:45 AM   #20
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328IScreamer View Post
I never installed the electric fan and have never seen my temp gauge go over half way.
+1

I removed the clutch fan (it exploded actually), replaced the rad, put in a new OEM thermostat, left the OEM temp sensor, new coolant, and replaced my seized AUX fan. No water wetter, no spal/electric fan.

I've also had no overheating issues, even with the A/C on and crawling through bumper-to-bumper morning rush hour traffic on the 401 through Scarborough.

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #21
EuroSpec_92
MPOWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan27 View Post
+1

I removed the clutch fan (it exploded actually), replaced the rad, put in a new OEM thermostat, left the OEM temp sensor, new coolant, and replaced my seized AUX fan. No water wetter, no spal/electric fan.

I've also had no overheating issues, even with the A/C on and crawling through bumper-to-bumper morning rush hour traffic on the 401 through Scarborough.
Hence ac condenser fan / aux fan, same thing lol so your fan is on if your ac is on, so of course no problem, but more then less...im to lazy to say what i have to say, im just gonna eat my lunch and read aha

99 Estoril M3
EuroSpec_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:59 PM   #22
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

The aux fan also comes on via the temp sensor, even if the A/C is off. I'm not sure what you are trying to say. The point I was trying to make was that even with the a/c on, which adds heat to the coil directly in front of the rad, the aux fan seems to provide sufficient air flow to cool everything even without the lower temp sensor, lower temp thermostat, or water wetter.

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #23
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

I've had my clutch fan pulled for 4 months now, even stuck in traffic for 2 plus hours going no wear the aux fan has done fine, never seen the needle over half.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:41 PM   #24
mhamouda
Lookin like M

i just replaced my thermostat last december..
do i need to change it again with the one they sent with the package?
because if i dont replace it, its a 10 mins job.. no need to bleed or change the coolant.
mhamouda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:17 PM   #25
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

I did mine and replaced it with a spal electric, medium profile 16 inch curved blade puller fan.... only thing is i dont know how to wire it up... anyone got some clue, to how i can do this.
iverson03tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:08 PM   #26
EuroSpec_92
MPOWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan27 View Post
The aux fan also comes on via the temp sensor, even if the A/C is off. I'm not sure what you are trying to say. The point I was trying to make was that even with the a/c on, which adds heat to the coil directly in front of the rad, the aux fan seems to provide sufficient air flow to cool everything even without the lower temp sensor, lower temp thermostat, or water wetter.
ac on or off wont make a difference.

99 Estoril M3
EuroSpec_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:42 PM   #27
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

All I'm saying is an electric fan...$200, or 3g's+ for rebuilding you head.

To everyone saying they dont need it or theyve had their cars without it for 20 years, thats great! My car overheated on me 2 summers ago in traffic. All in all having the head professionally welded, cometic head gasket, arp heads studs, and all the labour, cost me $3300. So you figure out if it's something worth cheaping out on

Jay
Old 07-13-2010, 11:04 PM   #28
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoony_prelude View Post

To everyone saying they dont need it or theyve had their cars without it for 20 years, thats great! My car overheated on me 2 summers ago in traffic. All in all having the head professionally welded, cometic head gasket, arp heads studs, and all the labour, cost me $3300. So you figure out if it's something worth cheaping out on

Jay

A good tested used motor is cheaper then that!!!

Yes redundant systems are always good, but not always needed. If you over heated you aux fan must have failed, in traffic and you did not notice the temp gauge going up. May have been avoidable but who knows.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:58 PM   #29
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoony_prelude View Post

Jay
Wow, but isnt welding the head bad, just incase u had to change the internals or soemthing... also.. i agree, first thing i did when i bought my bimmer was buy a spal fan off of a member here, it was furious....

And thats also if u just replace the clutch fan with a better fan you wont have a problem, just remember, engines need a certain temperaature to run at, and that is the only reason why im not just hooking up my spal fan to just run when the car starts....

Also i really need help, what can i do and how do i make it so that i can control when the fan comes on and off... the cheapest way please!! i got alot of time to mess around, just not enough money to use
Old 07-15-2010, 09:09 AM   #30
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

I wanna know if i replaced the fan, do i need a lower temp thermostat??... what do u guys think... since i did just put a really good fan on it....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: