Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #1
moneymaker
2nd Gear Member

Is this worth it?

Hey guys, just need a little bit of advice here.

I currently own a 98 328i completely stock fully loaded automatic. It has roughly 165,000K's and runs beautifully. The body has no rust, and the interior is excellent 9/10 condition. This car has never let me down in the past 1.5 years of ownership, and still runs absolutely solid.

Here's the thing, as it sits at stock 165K im positive some work will need to be done, mainly suspension, brakes, etc. I picked up this vehicle for $6,000 about 1.5 years ago with approx 130,000K, a great deal at the time. I figure the vehicle is still worth around $5,000 as it is a very very clean e36.

I know $5,000 is not a lot of money. Do you guys think its worth spending the money on maintenance such as suspension etc, or do you think I should sell it??

Im really not sure if its worth my money and time to be maintaining a 13 year old vehicle.

Your advice and comments are appreciated!

Thanks
moneymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

If the car is as good as you say it is I'd say it's worth it to maintain. What do you hope to gain by selling it? Then again I'm biased because I spend my time and money maintaining a 21 year old vehicle with twice the mileage and a rusting body.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:49 PM   #3
moneymaker
2nd Gear Member

The car is excellent, and is actually quite surprising to me how well these older BMW's still run.

Im looking into purchasing a used 2007 335i in about a year. If I sold it now I could get a lot more than I would selling at a later date. although the price would be no where close to that of a newer bmw lol.

How much do you think I could get for it with 200,000K? I still really enjoy driving this car but I dont want to drop $1-2 thousand on a car only worth 5.
moneymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #4
Singe
BGDorcol

Clean E36's are hard to find these days and if you do find them i'm sure the are a couple g's over $5000. I say maintain it and keep it in top form just because yours is so clean,and also for some one else to enjoy it when ever you decide to sell it...might as well post some pics
Old 03-28-2011, 12:13 AM   #5
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

I say if you have no rust then keep it especially if the motor is still pulling strong. All the other fixes are expected given the year of car. You may even get away with changing some of those items mentioned. Lots of parts for those babies.

'15 Ford F150 Lariat SCSB 4x4
'04 645cic
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
I would just keep it. I mean the 2007 is out of warranty as well, and it's hard to say even if that car may need some repairs. Now going back to your 328, I think you did very well, but I doubt someone will give you 5000 if it is automatic and no sport pack(usually auto comes with no sport pack, but not always). You may be able to get 5K if you ask 6k, and if you got sport seats, stick-shift and so on. I could be wrong, but the early E46 328I/323i are becoming very affordable.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
Sunny87
2nd Gear Member

If you have another car to drive, and you honestly think you can get 5k for it then you should sell it. If you don't do your own work on your car, then doing the impending maintenance work to keep it running well will cost you quite a bit in the end while not increasing it's value one bit. Assuming you think you can get 5k for it, unload it to someone else and let the maintenance problems be their problem to deal with. Then you can walk away happy with 1000 out while owning it for 1.5 years.

If you plan to keep it forever then rock on and love it more than your significant other :O.
Sunny87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: