Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-11-2010, 11:07 AM   #1
uber e36
6th Gear Member

UVIP & Vehicle with Accident History

Gents,

Looking at a used 4.4i who's Car Proof notes an accident but the cost is recorded as $0. The only panel on the truck that appears painted is the hood.

If I check the Used Vehicle Info Package, will it give me the names of previous owners? I could find their # and ask about the "accident". If it was while it was leased, then I guess it would only show the leasing company's info though...

Also, is there a census on a preferred aftermarket warranty provider? It's sn '05 with 120k so I'd like to get some coverage.
uber e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
noid
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber e36 View Post
Gents,

Looking at a used 4.4i who's Car Proof notes an accident but the cost is recorded as $0. The only panel on the truck that appears painted is the hood.

If I check the Used Vehicle Info Package, will it give me the names of previous owners? I could find their # and ask about the "accident". If it was while it was leased, then I guess it would only show the leasing company's info though...

Also, is there a census on a preferred aftermarket warranty provider? It's sn '05 with 120k so I'd like to get some coverage.
Because of the new privacy acts, you cant call previous owners anymore. Only real way to know if its been in a serious accident is to take it to a highend auto body place like European Autobody or Budds collisions, pay them an hour for inspection and they will tell you front to back if its been repaired.
noid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

Sounds like they took it for an estimate and told them it was going through insurance and decided against it afterwards once they saw the cost of repairs. I notice that body shops ask if it's an insurance claim or not. If you say 'no' it's not recorded on their system for all to see.

'15 Ford F150 Lariat SCSB 4x4
'04 645cic
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #4
uber e36
6th Gear Member

@noid - You think the previous owner would actually care if I call and ask them? Or are you saying the UVIP doesn't give their name anymore?

@slemmer - That's what the sales guy figured, but yes, I would have it inspected before buying like noid suggests.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #5
noid
5th Gear Member

The sellers package will tell you their names but your on your own when it comes to finding out their address/phone number because the ministry isnt allowed to provide you that information anymore.

An inspection would probably be in your best interest anyways because if it comes to the point where you want to resell the car the new buyers will be asking the same questions and it would give you and them piece of mind if you have something to show that the car has ether not been in an accident or that the repairs were carried out properly.

Also if its nothing serious then it can be used as a negotiating tool, and god forbid you get in an accident A) you know its structurally sound and fixed correctly to do its job during an accident B) Will ensure proper payout from insurance company.

Are you looking to pickup a 4.4i X5? I just finished my month long search for one and highly not recommend getting one from Toronto. Or any car from toronto for that matter. I must have looked at over 50 X5's in toronto and every single one of them was shit or worked over in some way or another. Search in more rural towns, I know there is a black one in kitchener.

Last edited by noid; 07-11-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:15 PM   #6
uber e36
6th Gear Member

^^^^

Yes, X5 4.4i. Looked at two Sterling Grey ones. Both 120k asking $23.9k. One at a Chrysler dealer in Scarborough and another at Custom Rides in Mississauga.

Going to look at a black one @ North York Chevy asking $26.9k.

There is a Le Mans Blue over Ivory 4.8is (same price range) near NJ but I'm not sure about buying in the US.

Did you look at either of the grey ones mentioned? Or were you looking lower km?
Old 07-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
noid
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber e36 View Post
^^^^

Yes, X5 4.4i. Looked at two Sterling Grey ones. Both 120k asking $23.9k. One at a Chrysler dealer in Scarborough and another at Custom Rides in Mississauga.

Going to look at a black one @ North York Chevy asking $26.9k.

There is a Le Mans Blue over Ivory 4.8is (same price range) near NJ but I'm not sure about buying in the US.

Did you look at either of the grey ones mentioned? Or were you looking lower km?
I picked mine up with 130k 2002 for 15,000 flat.

In my opinion its not worth spending the extra 9k+ for 3 years newer with the same mileage. Save the money and find a clean one for around 15,000, I am EXTREMELY happy I did.

I got a bit lucky in that mine was owned by retired elderly people since new that also rust proofed every year, did all recommended maintenance, and put on 3m film. Only drove 12k in the past 4 years, and car was way bum **** up there in north bay its whole life. Picked it up in kitchener from their friend (also retired) because they didnt have enough people looking up in north bay.

The one in burlington at JP for 20k is alright but definitely not worth 20k, id say not even 15k.

I would stay away from Toronto or surrounding cities, basically any car at a dealer is usually from an auction/not taken care of. I would advise after seeing over 50 x5's to buy private sale, from cities far away from Toronto, the more rural the better.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
uber e36
6th Gear Member

Good advice! I like the 04+ because of the facelift and specifically want 05-06 for the panorama roof.

I'm searching auto trader and there aren't many private sales available...

And between my business and a 2 week old baby, I don't have time to travel out of TO much. I'll pay a grand or two more to not have that hassle.

Last edited by uber e36; 07-11-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:27 AM   #9
carjoe
6th Gear Member

Buying from the States isn't a big deal aside from the time you have to invest.

My buddy brought back an M3 last December, I was shocked at how little effort it required. He's on here but not much. Check the Ottawa board-Firewired

Needless to say, my next car will be coming out of the states. Not necessarily because of the cost but the rust free factor and giant selection...

I'd clear my calendar for a road trip.

93 325is - sold!

2000 540ia- sold!

carjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:44 PM   #10
uber e36
6th Gear Member

The local guys don't want to make a deal. One will drop $200 from his list and the other $600. I'm going to buy an '07 RDX with extended warranty instead.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: