Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-07-2010, 12:00 AM   #16
davericher20
black and blue

ya Craig, bad analogy sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:02 AM   #17
sirex
King Sirex

^^ terrible analogy x100

and in my story, the cop would be honored a hero by the way.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:16 AM   #18
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Send a message via MSN to craigIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
I thought we were conducting war operations in Afghanistan.
Nope. Peace Keeping. There is a difference. War you just go around shooting, where as peace keeping, your trying not to fire unless you have to.

Sorry that you can twist an analogy so much. Lets stick to my what if story, not change it to suit you. You crash, your not armed, but you are wanted on other charges. Still is no reason to shoot an unarmed person no matter what. Just my opinion.

But let's look at what actually happened, and look at the law. The 2LT, shot, and killed an unarmed person. Enemy, yes. It is against Canadian law, Military Law, Operational Law, and laws set forth by the Geneva Convention. It stands to reason, that shooting, and killing an unarmed person, enemy or not is wrong according to those laws. Those laws are the laws Former CPT Semrau swore, or affirmed (which ever is the case) to adhere to, and uphold if necessary. Since the 2LT did not follow SOP's for engagement, and taking in a prisoner, he broke Ops law, and Military law. There fore, if found guilty, which he was, he must face the consequences.

He is lucky he was demoted, and discharged, and not thrown in jail. He got off with an easy punishment.

flickr
craigIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:20 AM   #19
magnus
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigIS View Post
Nope. Peace Keeping. There is a difference. War you just go around shooting, where as peace keeping, your trying not to fire unless you have to.

Sorry that you can twist an analogy so much. Lets stick to my what if story, not change it to suit you. You crash, your not armed, but you are wanted on other charges. Still is no reason to shoot an unarmed person no matter what. Just my opinion.

But let's look at what actually happened, and look at the law. The 2LT, shot, and killed an unarmed person. Enemy, yes. It is against Canadian law, Military Law, Operational Law, and laws set forth by the Geneva Convention. It stands to reason, that shooting, and killing an unarmed person, enemy or not is wrong according to those laws. Those laws are the laws Former CPT Semrau swore, or affirmed (which ever is the case) to adhere to, and uphold if necessary. Since the 2LT did not follow SOP's for engagement, and taking in a prisoner, he broke Ops law, and Military law. There fore, if found guilty, which he was, he must face the consequences.

He is lucky he was demoted, and discharged, and not thrown in jail. He got off with an easy punishment.

Well said!

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:30 AM   #20
sirex
King Sirex

why should we stick to your analogy to suit your arugment? you weren't there, you dont know the full details of what happened, therefore any story can be created.

Last edited by sirex; 10-07-2010 at 11:32 AM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #21
e30blue
2nd Gear Member

Sirex think of this what if...

the insurgent was a sniper and popped 2 of your squad members, youve been laying behind cover for hours on end and no support is coming for a damn while.

that sniper pegs 2 more of your squad mates but in the process runs out of ammo, and darts across open field of fire.

you and your remaining squad members open up on him and hes takin down.

you approach the insurgent sniper that has wounded 4 of your squad members who youve been very good friends with over your tour of duty.

just as you approach that dead son of a B****...

captain pulls up in a humvee "very good job you boys did here....by the way percy, jackson and lawson died enroute to hospital and Davidian is getting his leg amputated. Oh god can someone put that Bloody bastard out of his misery! i cant stand the horrendous noise of a insurgent thats killed 3 of your best friends.....noone?!?!.... alright fine! ill do it!"

I would be very upset that my superior let that insurgent get the easy way out, So mad infact that i would testify against him because he broke the geneva convention...

we dont know the full story...
e30blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #22
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Quote:
why should we stick to your analogy to suit your arugment? you weren't there, you dont know the full details of what happened, therefore any story can be created.
Because it's more similar than your analogy to the events that happened. Hence the unarmed injuredness of my analogy.

flickr
Old 10-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #23
simplycars
6th Gear Member

I don't think that Geneva convention applies to fighting partisans or any non-uniformed forces.
Geneva convention only applies if both sides are signatories of it. If one is a signatory and the other isn't then treatment by both sides is to be decided by either party through negotations e.g. Germans and Russians in WWII
Executions of enemy wounded are common since antiquity. The most infamous were Germans in WWII executing pows on the grounds of slowing them down in the offensive e.g. Ardennes 1944

Last edited by simplycars; 10-07-2010 at 01:44 PM.
simplycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #24
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplycars View Post
I don't think that Geneva convention applies to fighting partisans or any non-uniformed forces.
Geneva convention only applies if both sides are signatories of it. If one is a signatory and the other isn't then treatment by both sides is to be decided by either party through negotations e.g. Germans and Russians in WWII
Executions of enemy wounded are common since antiquity. The most infamous were Germans in WWII executing pows on the grounds of slowing them down in the offensive e.g. Ardennes 1944
Actually you are correct. Although, it is still against or Military Law, and Operational Law. Therefore, there is no wrong doing in pursuing prosecution for mortally shooting an unarmed combatant.

flickr
Old 10-07-2010, 03:44 PM   #25
sirex
King Sirex

no one here said there was wrong doing in pursuing prosecution. just that it was unbelievable that they were.

Mowing down innocents is one thing. Popping insurgents is another.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #26
simplycars
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigIS View Post
Actually you are correct. Although, it is still against or Military Law, and Operational Law. Therefore, there is no wrong doing in pursuing prosecution for mortally shooting an unarmed combatant.
it also depends on how you classify the term of combatant - most European armed forces classify uniformed personel with structured organization as combatants. possesion of weapons doesn't quality one as a combatant.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #27
sirex
King Sirex

what is an unarmed combatant btw?

How can you be a combatant then? Just the word on its own...
Old 10-07-2010, 04:25 PM   #28
simplycars
6th Gear Member

Quote:
what is an unarmed combatant btw?

How can you be a combatant then? Just the word on its own...
combatant is the person who takes part in a conflict - e.g. of unarmed combatants - medical personel, support and logistics units. Most of them are so called "2nd line units" and are not armed and operate behind the frontlines unless need to redeploy them arises - e.g. Canadian army had to redeploy most of their cooks and other supply personel to fight in Normandy after suffering heavy losses.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #29
craigIS
A.K.A. crossfire291

Quote:
no one here said there was wrong doing in pursuing prosecution. just that it was unbelievable that they were.

Mowing down innocents is one thing. Popping insurgents is another.
He may not have been innocent, but he wasn't armed, and he was wounded, and was shot and killed. That is goes against the law mentioned before. Hence pursuing prosecution. Just like you can't have people in this country mowing down anybody they want, regardless of whether they are a threat or not. You must have grounds for defending yourself, and you can not use more force than is necessary. If someone is mouthing off to you, and you just crack them in the head with a bat, your going to be charged. That is what happened in this case. This insurgent was unarmed and killed. You just can't do that. It doesn't matter what you think is right or wrong, it's how things work. SOP's and other laws have been put in place over the years because of past events, and to prevent thing like this from happening.

flickr
Old 10-08-2010, 02:09 PM   #30
e30blue
2nd Gear Member

you guys have to understand from reports it sounded like this INSURGENTS guts were all over the floor and hes pretty much drowning on his own blood.
e30blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: