Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-02-2009, 01:55 AM   #16
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

Hyundai went from shit to pretty damn good in just one (automotive) generation change. It shows that it can be done if done correctly.

I would like to give Chrysler one last chance considering how many people's livlihoods depend on the survival of the company, especially in Ontario. However, if they blow this chance, the plug should be pulled for good.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:48 AM   #17
slemmer
Driving in the fast lane

Chrysler had many chances the last being when Lee Iaccoca led their turn around. Remember the K-car and the start of the mini van revolution? Their designs are OK, just their mechanical and electrical reliability never kept up. I remember seeing the first 300's on the road and noticed they ran the brake lines across the front of the nose where the rad was housed. Wouldn't logic tell you if in a front end collision that these critical parts would get crushed or damaged?

'15 Ford F150 Lariat SCSB 4x4
'04 645cic
'00 740i Sport
slemmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:05 AM   #18
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ti Compact View Post
Hyundai went from shit to pretty damn good in just one (automotive) generation change. It shows that it can be done if done correctly.

I would like to give Chrysler one last chance considering how many people's livlihoods depend on the survival of the company, especially in Ontario. However, if they blow this chance, the plug should be pulled for good.
No ****ing highschool drop out with a beer gut, should be making 40$/hr to put a car together. **** YOU MOTHER****ERS and burn in hell!

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec-ST Tuning Kit- Lowered-Wokke Chips- Custom Exhaust- 18" MK1's-KN Filters+ M Steering Wheel- Stereo Upgrade +++
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #19
1'M Seriesus
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
No ****ing highschool drop out with a beer gut, should be making 40$/hr to put a car together. **** YOU MOTHER****ERS and burn in hell!
why not?
why dont they deserve another chance? jealous?
1'M Seriesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #20
jaym3smg
M. Learn it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1'M Seriesus View Post
why not?
Really?? Because it is absolutely ridiculous to pay some of the laziest people on earth 80k a year to put nuts on bolts. They've had a LOT of chances, a LOT. They had lots of opportunity and failed every step of the way. Have you driven anything that's come out of that company? It's complete garbage! Shocking actually... they've even ruined the one name they had left that was worth anything: Jeep.

One of the big concerns people working there have is that they won't be able to find another company that will compensate them like that. They are right. They won't. That is because they have no real transferable skill that is worth anything. Welcome to planet earth, folks, where you actually have to be able to do something useful to have a job that pays over 50k.

They are getting exactly what they deserve and will serve as a warning to other domestic manufacturers to get their act together or they will be crushed by the other non-unionized companies.

Chrysler is done. Fiat cannot help them, and is likely only there to take advantage. By end of 2011, Chrysler and all brands associated with it will probably be gone. GM is circling the drain as well, and has to dump about 70% of their cars to become profitable again.. and even then they will struggle.. their future is also VERY uncertain...

-J

Last edited by jaym3smg; 05-02-2009 at 10:22 PM.
jaym3smg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:23 PM   #21
kòózy
6th Gear Newbie

What happens to people who are currently leasing Chrysers if they go under, and what happens with warranties for people who purchased Chryslers in the last year or 2?
- 1998 318is *retired*
kòózy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #22
jaym3smg
M. Learn it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kòózy View Post
What happens to people who are currently leasing Chrysers if they go under, and what happens with warranties for people who purchased Chryslers in the last year or 2?
The government has agreed to honor the warranty themselves. As for leases not sure... Maybe you don't have to give the car back, lol. Though what I think is more likely, as a leased car still belongs to them, is that the car will be seized and sold off with the rest of their assets.

-J
Old 05-03-2009, 12:00 AM   #23
CASPER
Banned

^^^^yes they will honor the warrantyes....good luck those poeple...the goverment is bust them selfs on that one....
CASPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:08 AM   #24
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1'M Seriesus View Post
why not?
Let me guess, you work for one of the big 3?

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec-ST Tuning Kit- Lowered-Wokke Chips- Custom Exhaust- 18" MK1's-KN Filters+ M Steering Wheel- Stereo Upgrade +++
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE

Last edited by bmwm5lover; 05-03-2009 at 12:14 AM.
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:12 AM   #25
jaym3smg
M. Learn it.

That was a little harsh...
Old 05-03-2009, 12:43 AM   #26
344i
5th Gear Member

Chrysler did it to themselves. Look at their designs? Im sure in the market test rooms, the response towards the caliber, the compass, the patriot and others was EUGH, yet they manufactured them anyways.

The ONLY decent looking mopar nowadays is the Dodge Journey. The interior is another story but at least the outside is not offensive.
344i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:00 AM   #27
M3ti Compact
Fuel Efficient 318 Member

Do you really think it's the assembly line workers who ran these companies into the ground?

Come on, its the executives at the top, who are raking in the money, that make the decisions on what to build, what to sell, and at what quality level- they tanked the company and now the line workers gets screwed.

A word about wages, I've applied for these jobs when I was younger, never worked there, but starting wage was $18 at GM Oshawa. And contrary to popular belief, the job does require some skill, a random uneducated joe off the street definitly cannot handle this job- just like how most people don't know how to change their own oil, althrough it might be second nature for most of us here. There's more to an assembly line that screwing in some bolts. You need at least some skills even for the easiest job they have there- and you definitly need some form of post secondary for some - the techs doing the final inspections on the vehicles for example is the first thing that comes to mind.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:23 AM   #28
jaym3smg
M. Learn it.

Quote:
Do you really think it's the assembly line workers who ran these companies into the ground?

Come on, its the executives at the top, who are raking in the money, that make the decisions on what to build, what to sell, and at what quality level- they tanked the company and now the line workers gets screwed.
No, their management and their union did, as you said to an extent. I agree. But don't discount the impact of the greedy UAW. The only reason they are giving a little now is because its either that or lose their jobs. Too little too late though.

Quote:
A word about wages, I've applied for these jobs when I was younger, never worked there, but starting wage was $18 at GM Oshawa. And contrary to popular belief, the job does require some skill, a random uneducated joe off the street definitly cannot handle this job- just like how most people don't know how to change their own oil, although it might be second nature for most of us here. There's more to an assembly line that screwing in some bolts. You need at least some skills even for the easiest job they have there- and you definitly need some form of post secondary for some - the techs doing the final inspections on the vehicles for example is the first thing that comes to mind.
The same way working at mcdonalds requires some skill. You at least have to know how the machines work and need at least a few days of training to learn it. Yes I'd agree some jobs require a bit more education but not a lot.. we're not talking mechanical engineering grads here. They get paid a lot for what they do.

-J
Old 05-03-2009, 10:33 AM   #29
daytona
6th Gear Member

M3ti Compact how can you keep a straight face and say these workers deserve $60 an hour and not expect the company to be destroyed by bad products?.Yes they did not designed the products but they assembled it and from what JD powers said the big three usually is on bottom for quality control on most of their brands.There is a very very few people in Ontario that has any sympathy for the CAW workers,they demand things that no one else would ever expect from any company (ex:plant is shut down for months and they still get paid?).Dont blame the imports for the demise of the big three blame the greed of the workers,mismanagement and over all culture of the North American auto industry.%90 of the jobs on a assembly line can be learned by a high school drop out,the rest do need some sort of degree.NO ONE is entitled to anything these days,I seen so many people lose their jobs and everyone has more skills than a CAW worker.

Last edited by daytona; 05-03-2009 at 11:44 AM.
daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:28 AM   #30
jaym3smg
M. Learn it.

The one key element that this whole situation is not addressing is the fact that they actually have to SELL their cars when they come out of chapter 11, and sell making a profit. This is something Obama and the rest of his regime cannot help them with. For the past 10 years or more (I'd even say 15 years), they have been losing money on every car sold (or making VERY little) because they just want to get their car on the road, no one wants them otherwise. Ask 75% of people who bought a Chrysler in the past 10 years: Why did you buy? Because of 0% lease or 0% financing / got a great deal.

Fact is almost no one in the 25-45 age group (the ones who would want to buy a car in the 20k-40k price range) would be caught dead in anything made by Chrysler because the cars are complete garbage, and today we have many more options with japanese and euro cars which are almost the same price and 10x better quality both inside and out, especially the engine.

It's over for Chrysler. They can't stay alive on their truck line alone, and they've destroyed Jeep with the garbage they've put out lately. Speculating here, but if Cummins drops them for fear of not getting paid, the truck line will die even. Their diesels were the only good thing about their trucks.

-J

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: