Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Classifieds > For Sale > Other BMW Parts
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-19-2007, 05:05 PM   #46
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by topnotchraly
No... only 45 were imported to N.A. In 2008 we will be free to import all we want from 'The Fatherland'. Euro production started in 1993. IMHO I have a feeling this is going to depress the market for those already here. Granted, the 45 (only 20 left, I hear) will be worth more, but not the premium they are now. I'm going to do some research, on numbers produced and values, will get back to you.

PS As I have driven this car and it is sweeeeeeeeeeet.
Yes, but they aren't Canadian Euro-Spec. There are specific differences between the two. Namely, that they were specifically made for import into canada in a limited number. It's a collectors item, and more and more keep dissapearing.

Sure, if you are going to buy a Canadian Euro-Spec just for the motor, you might as well wait until you can import them, but if you actually have appreciation for the value/history of the numbered vehicles, the prices that they are going for aren't that bad.

Where is Shockwave to back me up when I need him.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 05:17 PM   #47
APG
1st Gear Newbie

Production Data

How many versions the 3.0-liter E36 M3 were there?
BMW initially produced the European-spec E36 M3 3.0 only as as a coupe. Convertible and sedan versions were introduced two years later. Each body style was offered in left-hand drive and right-hand drive configurations. There was also a limited run of E36 M3 GT coupes built in both left-hand drive and right-hand drive. The U.S.-spec version of the 3.0-liter M3 was offered only as a coupe, with a choice of manual or automatic transmissions. Finally, there was a small number of South African-spec coupes assembled for the 1994 model year at the Rosslyn, South Africa factory from German-supplied Semi Knocked-Down kits (SKD).

How many of each version were produced?
ECE coupe (LHD): 11,284 built from 03/92 thru 07/95
ECE coupe (RHD): 3,152 built from 03/93 thru 07/95
ECE GT coupe (LHD): 350 built from 02/95 thru 06/95 (plus 6 pre-production in 12/94)
SA coupe (RHD): 748 built in SKD form from 09/93 thru 04/94
USA coupe manual (LHD): 8,515 built from 03/94 thru 01/96
USA coupe automatic (LHD): 1,705 built from 12/94 thru 01/96
ECE convertible (LHD): 1,403 built from 03/94 thru 08/95
ECE convertible (RHD): 572 built from 09/94 thru 08/95
ECE sedan (LHD): 868 built from 06/94 thru 07/95
ECE sedan (RHD): 415 built from 10/94 thru 07/95
APG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:40 AM   #48
topnotchraly
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots R
Yes, but they aren't Canadian Euro-Spec. There are specific differences between the two. Namely, that they were specifically made for import into canada in a limited number. It's a collectors item, and more and more keep dissapearing.

Sure, if you are going to buy a Canadian Euro-Spec just for the motor, you might as well wait until you can import them, but if you actually have appreciation for the value/history of the numbered vehicles, the prices that they are going for aren't that bad.

With all due respect, I don't care for what market the car was originally made. It won't make any difference when I'm driving it. I just want the Euro-specification, which I will get when I import one in 2008. My initial research shows that I should be able to get the same spec car in Germany (1993 M3 286hp) for about $8k-10k les (including transport costs) than it costs buy a Canadian spec car. I'll let you know how it goes in a year or so.
topnotchraly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:23 AM   #49
APG
1st Gear Newbie

Best of luck with that.
APG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:58 PM   #50
topnotchraly
2nd Gear Member

Did you find a buyer?
Old 03-04-2007, 09:28 PM   #51
uber e36
6th Gear Member

Quote:
No... only 45 were imported to N.A. In 2008 we will be free to import all we want from 'The Fatherland'. Euro production started in 1993. IMHO I have a feeling this is going to depress the market for those already here. Granted, the 45 (only 20 left, I hear) will be worth more, but not the premium they are now. I'm going to do some research, on numbers produced and values, will get back to you.

PS As I have driven this car and it is sweeeeeeeeeeet.

These are numbered cars... A car imported from Europe will never have the same value. It's all about pedigree.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:57 PM   #52
ABUSTAIF
ZA3EEM

good lick with the sale bump for a euro spec

ABUSTAIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:21 PM   #53
topnotchraly
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uber e36
These are numbered cars... A car imported from Europe will never have the same value. It's all about pedigree.
It's all about DRIVING. I dont' give a damn what market it was made for.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:31 PM   #54
Thadose
3rd Gear Member

isnt the import law gunnna change to 25 years in spring/summer?
it was talked about in the general discussion
Old 03-15-2007, 12:34 PM   #55
Boots R
Boots, not boost

Quote:
It's all about DRIVING. I dont' give a damn what market it was made for.
Then why are you in his for sale thread? Go buy a normal m3 then. This is a numbered, LIMITED edition car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadose
isnt the import law gunnna change to 25 years in spring/summer?
it was talked about in the general discussion
Potentially, but it has been discussed in the past.

Until it actually happens, don't believe it.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:34 PM   #56
Shock(/\)ave
3rd Gear Member

Arrow

As I was updating the record for # 43 in my registry I thought I'd search through the various forums I frequent to see if I could find additional information about it from old threads.

That led me to this thread, which I have no idea how I managed to miss.

This car was purchased by Chris Besemer of CG Motorsports in British Columbia. Chris absolutely loves these cars, and has owned several of them over the years. He sold # 9 early last year and # 20 more recently, which is being shipped to Ontario as we speak.

Chris is in the process of fully restoring # 43 and has currently removed much of the drivetrain from the car in the effort to do so.

Now to correct some of the misinformation in this thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamite
I heard a lot of them have been smashed up. Right now there are only about 6-7 that I know of.
You're pretty close: over half of the original number have now been completely destroyed, and of the surviving cars I would estimate another half have salvage titles (some having been salvaged multiple times).

There are now less than a dozen surving clean titled examples left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwstylz
...Only 45 were built for Canada. But keep in mind that as of next year we will have access to "unlimited" 1993 Euro M3s for half the price or actually less. You can pick up a 93 for about 12 grand canadian !! (*edit from Europe, and have it shipped over for well under 20 grand)
You can pick up a higher mileage M3 with unknown history for that little, but you simply can't buy a nice example for that little. It won't happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwstylz
Better sell that thing fast, cuz next year the prices are gonna drop like its hot.
Wrong.

Anyone who knows anything about car collecting, car auctions and the classic car market knows true special edition numbered performance cars command top dollar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by europrince
If I remember hearing correctly from someone who has one that the Euro-spec is not the same thing as the European M3. Each one was based on the European M3 but different in some way ( I don't know how ) and was customized to the buyer's specs.
Buyers of the 45 had the same choices as buyers in Europe. They were not able to choose which number they wanted (unless they happened to work for BMW).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldo
These are different than the European M3's in the way that they are NUMBERED accordingly. Whereas regular European M3's are NOT numbered. Since it is a TRUE ERUOSPEC this car WILL hold its value!
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotcH
Ummm ... no. All the same reinforcement plates are in the US cars as well. Suspension is the same, but has slightly higher spring rates. Other than the complete engine (with headers and exhaust), this car no different than a US-spec.
Actually, you're the one who is mistaken: the engine, suspension, transmission, brakes, steering rack, cooling system, gauges, interiors and standard features were very different between the European cars and the U.S. cars.

Very little major parts aside from body panels and window glass is shared between the two cars.

Quote:
Everything you ever wanted to know about NA M3s. (including the Canada only 94 Eurospec)

http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=15
While that site does have a lot of good accurate information, I think it sells these cars short by not giving them their own special version designation.

I think BMW made it clear enough that these cars were special:

Old 04-17-2007, 01:02 PM   #57
Shock(/\)ave
3rd Gear Member

Arrow

Quote:
No... only 45 were imported to N.A. In 2008 we will be free to import all we want from 'The Fatherland'. Euro production started in 1993. IMHO I have a feeling this is going to depress the market for those already here.
I doubt it. You can already find cars that have had European engine swaps done on them on these shores if you know where to look; the availability of those cars in the market hasn't affected the pricing of these special edition cars whatsoever.

Quote:
Granted, the 45 (only 20 left, I hear) will be worth more, but not the premium they are now.
People that simply want the European engine in their E36 on these shores tend to buy a U.S. car, a European engine and perform a swap. They aren't typically the same buyers who are interested in these numbered cars due to the higher price the added rarity commands.

Quote:

Exactly.

Quote:
Better late than never, right?

Quote:
With all due respect, I don't care for what market the car was originally made. It won't make any difference when I'm driving it. I just want the Euro-specification, which I will get when I import one in 2008. My initial research shows that I should be able to get the same spec car in Germany (1993 M3 286hp) for about $8k-10k les (including transport costs) than it costs buy a Canadian spec car.
You obviously aren't the type of person would buy one of these cars.

Quote:
I'll let you know how it goes in a year or so.
You do that.

Quote:
Then why are you in his for sale thread? Go buy a normal m3 then. This is a numbered, LIMITED edition car.
At this point after you've already presented a solid case and explained it well. I doubt he'll ever understand...
Old 04-17-2007, 01:51 PM   #58
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock(/\)ave
Actually, you're the one who is mistaken: the engine, suspension, transmission, brakes, steering rack, cooling system, gauges, interiors and standard features were very different between the European cars and the U.S. cars.

Very little major parts aside from body panels and window glass is shared between the two cars.
Ok, you're right ... there are many little differences, but I would not call them major:
- engine: given
- suspension: only spring is different (same struts, sways, etc.)
- transmission: same 5 speed ZF as 95 M3
- brakes: only the rotor is different
- steering rack - same part as 95 M3
- cooling system: given, to support the different motor
- gauges: you are correct
- interiors: sure ... I guess more choices, but they weren't they available in the individual program in the US (except for the rear power windows)?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: