Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

rare Kijiji find?

probably been for sale forever right?

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ405767880
Old 08-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

doesn't look 11k worthy but nice car
5style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
jrsmitchell
Switchtronic

It has been on sale for at least a year. I remember seeing it for sale last summer when I picked up my Alpina B3. I actually considered it at the time, but couldn't figure out if it was legit or not - in the end I decided probably not. There were E12 Alpina B7 turbos, but it was based on the 528 not the 530, and I don't think they started making them until later in the 70s. Plus it doesn't have the Alpina wheels. I'm not an expert on this era so who knows. It looks neat though so if the turbo setup is good it could be a pretty fun driver.
jrsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #4
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsmitchell View Post
It has been on sale for at least a year. I remember seeing it for sale last summer when I picked up my Alpina B3. I actually considered it at the time, but couldn't figure out if it was legit or not - in the end I decided probably not. There were E12 Alpina B7 turbos, but it was based on the 528 not the 530, and I don't think they started making them until later in the 70s. Plus it doesn't have the Alpina wheels. I'm not an expert on this era so who knows. It looks neat though so if the turbo setup is good it could be a pretty fun driver.
You still need help with your doorpanels? lol
Old 08-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #5
jrsmitchell
Switchtronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5style View Post
You still need help with your doorpanels? lol
Haha, no plans to fix those any time soon. Actually I'm about to make my Switchtronic transmission fall out so I can put a 6 speed in. Talk about your confusing Alpinas... Just collecting a few more parts first. If you're going to be around let me know and we can go for a boot.

Did I miss a thread about selling your E36 and picking up a Dakar M5? I remember from the BFc thread that you were considering it...
jrsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
5style
Hatters gon Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsmitchell View Post
Haha, no plans to fix those any time soon. Actually I'm about to make my Switchtronic transmission fall out so I can put a 6 speed in. Talk about your confusing Alpinas... Just collecting a few more parts first. If you're going to be around let me know and we can go for a boot.

Did I miss a thread about selling your E36 and picking up a Dakar M5? I remember from the BFc thread that you were considering it...
e36 is back here in misserysauga being parted out, the e39 is sleeping in LA lol. These days I don't make threads about my life
Old 08-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

posted in 2010

The second owner lived in Mississauga. He passed and his son was trying to sell it but he didn't know much about the car. This was a couple of years ago and this dealership snagged it. The son was originally asking $2,800 for it but it wasn't running. I suspect it was poor fuel.
The wires in the engine compartment were a mess at the time and some were actually slightly burned (insulation) from the heat generated in and around the turbo area.
The car was full of dust due to it sitting for so long at the time. It looks as though this dealership cleaned it all up and repaired the front edge of the fiberglass airdam. It had some scrapes and cracks when I last saw it.
Seeing as the stripes are pained on the body and clear coated smooth so there is no edge, I suspect this is why they didn't repaint the entire front airdam again...only along the edge.
As for the history of this E12, it was owned by a BMW enthusiast back in the day. The original owner owned an interlocking company and spared no expense on the car through Beach. Beach installed a Calloway turbo system onto the standard 3.0L inline 6cyl. Other than that, this E12 is stock in terms of performance. On the exterior, the Alpina style stripes were painted as mentioned and a knock-off front airdam that looks similar to the Motorsport version was installed in place of the US bumpers. You'll note that the original Euro turn signal pockets have also been covered and they kept the US front fender turn signals.
The interior is also all stock. I recall it being vinyl and not leather though.
I haven't seen the car at this stage, but judging from the pictures, they cleaned it all up, waxed it, painted the front airdam along the edge and changed the wheels to something larger. The car had the original 14" BBS/Mahle gold basket weaves wheels when I last saw it.
Steve from Bavarian worked on this car when he was stationed at Beach. He recalls this car was pushing 260-280hp back in the day. I don't know if this dealership has sorted everything out including the issues I saw in the engine compartment and how it's running now. Keep in mind that this was running on the L-Jet system so there is no real way to tune it like many new cars and a standalone system. It's a very old inj. system...same as what I am running on my E12.

As for the asking price, it is way up there and I would do some comparison shopping.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
aviator
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like it was done right initially anyway...
I remember Beach... used to go down there after school every few months and just dream... and drool... guys there were always cool about it. I lost a lot of respect for BMW Canada as a corporation for how they treated them when they decided to exert more corporate control over the dealer network.
aviator is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: