Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-11-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
Woofer
6th Gear Member

Legal questions about modded cars.

The other night a couple of buddys and i went to a industrail area where there were no other cars what us. One long stretch and no traffic. We were there doing a couple of runs against eachother just having some fun. We had stopped and we were getting ready to leave when 4 coppers show up. No one was racing at this time and it was just us in a parking lot shooting the shit. Right away cop asks us for ID's. Looks at my e30 tells me to pop my hood, trunk and open my doors. Sam for the other cars that was there. Now i was a little nervous because i am tucking all 4 tires. There is no way you can stick a finger under my wheel wells. As far as i know i think my car can have its plates pulled for that. Anyways no one got any tickets but this guy that was there in a civic coupe got hassel like crazy. The cop Was braking his balls(just one cop the other 3 were cool and were joking around with us, even giving us tips on how to improve performance in our cars). Anyways what i am getting at is,

Are cops allowed to search our cars the way they did?
I thought they needed a warrant, correct me if i'm wrong.

No one got any tickets and they let us go. After the guys in civic's got hasseled through their asses lol. Cop took a flash light to my car looked at my engine didn't see anything out of the norm. At first though he didn't believe that my battery was suppose to be in my trunk and was questioning that, but other then that they observed my car for like 5-10 mins. I guess he didn't realize the height of my car because of the "ix" fender flares i have, i don't know, i guess i caught a break.

So can some one shed some light in my world and let me know what to do next time this happens and in the event that i don't get a cool cop.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:44 PM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Were you in your car? If you weren't, then no, they dont have the right to search it if it was parked legally. If you're not in your car, and you're around sketchy shit, park it legally and leave it locked. cops can't search your car if its locked, nor can they make you open it.

If you were operating your motor vehicle, they can under certain cirumstances, but i believe they have to give you a reason. Im sure someone with more knowledge on the subject will chime in

2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 220M 19's, Michelin Supersports
2006 YZF-R6, bunch of go-fast stuff
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 08:46 PM   #3
static
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofer
At first though he didn't believe that my battery was suppose to be in my trunk and was questioning that...
that line made my day

i wonder if the retard would even know how "relocating the battery" mod would be beneficial.
It'd be funny tho if after him inspecting under the hood you told him you have a "battery delete" mod. He'd probably be like: "it's illegal to drive a car without battery"

jokes man!

Alex
static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 08:52 PM   #4
Woofer
6th Gear Member

LOL when i told him the battery was in the trunk he looked at me and was like

What? in the trunk? how? how is this possible? lol

His facial expression was funny lol

One of the other cops who was a more down to earth guy just laughed at him and nodded his head.

You think that was funny?

The same cop was looking at my buddys civic and saw a thick red wire connected to the battery. Then he said,
" whats that? nos or something?"
then the same cop that laughed looked at him and said no you fool it's for his stereo system lol.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:35 AM   #5
BMWags
6th Gear Member

wow, thats fukin brutal....im gonna keep a 21 inch dildo under my hood now for just such an occasion. stupid fukin cops
BMWags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 12:54 AM   #6
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

cops cant search your car on the spot, but if you be a smart ass and say "do u have a warrant", they can print one off from inside there car within 5 minutes
Jim .E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:01 AM   #7
BMWags
6th Gear Member

id ask politely why they want to search, some of these super troopers abuse their power so fukin much. Asking for a badge number is your right and a smart idea, but is GURANTEED to piss the cop off.
BMWags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:25 AM   #8
shimajer
loudddddd

it's better not to piss off the cops, just let them do what they want to do. if you have nothing illegal on/in the car, you shouldn't ask for the warrant or whatever. there is no point of arguing with them when you do get a ticket, it's not like he or she is going to grab your ticket back. you do the defending at the court. it's like those head coaches in professional sports talking shit to the refs, the refs will get fed up and just kick them out of the arenas.
shimajer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:42 AM   #9
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

With the new anti street racing stuff they have going on, they can do alot of shit and get away with it... It wouldn't surprise me if they now can do this based on suspicion that your car is heavily "unsafely" modded. That's the key here, they can't do SQUAT if you've done it the right way, which is the ONLY way to do it...

Deep
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:43 AM   #10
SickFinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim .E.
cops cant search your car on the spot, but if you be a smart ass and say "do u have a warrant", they can print one off from inside there car within 5 minutes

Sure they can

Warrants are signed by a judge, and for him to sign it, they have to show evidence of something illegal.

No, they can't search you car, without your permission, unless they can see something illegal in your car or anything illegal going on.
In your case, there was nothing, so they prolly asked you for permission and you agreed.

P.S. Download this, "BUSTED: The Citizen's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters"
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 02:00 AM   #11
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickFinga
Sure they can

Warrants are signed by a judge, and for him to sign it, they have to show evidence of something illegal.

No, they can't search you car, without your permission, unless they can see something illegal in your car or anything illegal going on.
In your case, there was nothing, so they prolly asked you for permission and you agreed.

P.S. Download this, "BUSTED: The Citizen's Guide to Surviving Police Encounters"
im not gonna start a 20 page thread over this because i know your gonna be stubborn and insist that your right so all im gonna say is try it and enjoy the result
Old 03-12-2006, 02:02 AM   #12
SickFinga

Quote:
im not gonna start a 20 page thread over this because i know your gonna be stubborn and insist that your right so all im gonna say is try it and enjoy the result

Im agree with you 100%, if you got nothing to hide, just let them search the car.
But what you said about the warrant is WRONG.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:03 AM   #13
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

Quote:
Im agree with you 100%, if you got nothing to hide, just let them search the car.
But what you said about the warrant is WRONG.
again...if they say they wanna search your car, be a smart alic and ask for a warrant...dont say i didnt warn ya
Old 03-12-2006, 02:14 AM   #14
SickFinga

Quote:
again...if they say they wanna search your car, be a smart alic and ask for a warrant...dont say i didnt warn ya
Remember, I'm white, nothing going to happen to me
Old 03-12-2006, 02:16 AM   #15
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

Quote:
Remember, I'm white, nothing going to happen to me
lol in that case you win

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: