Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Classifieds > For Sale > BMW Cars For Sale
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-04-2017, 12:20 PM   #1
rutabagaist
1st Gear Newbie

1987 535i E28 For Sale $1800 OBO

Images here: http://imgur.com/a/nvEox

I've got a '87 535i for sale. Have had it for 2 years, and it was daily driven until recently. Then had a baby and the car is less than suitable for baby transport. Otherwise I'd keep it. It needs to go asap, I live in Toronto and have no parking. I'm asking $1800, and open to offers. The car was bought from a member here 2 years ago.

Here's the full disclosure on this car. It's old, it has some issues; however I drove about 15,000km with few problems for a 30 year old car.

THe following is the hisotry of the car going back to about 270,000 km. It is around 373,000km now. Oil looks nice with every oil change and have never had engine issues. Burns about 1L of oil every 3000km, doesn't lose coolant.

Let's get the bad stuff out of the way first:

-The car was in an accident (hit and run) and most of the driver's side was damaged. I had the whole car repainted along with the repair. I learned after the fact that they're a bunch of hacks. They painted the entire car, bumpers trim and all in gloss black. A lot of people really like the look, as it is pretty sleek and modern, but it's incorrect. The paint is starting to crack/flake around the front and rear windows. I've since replaced the rear window + original rubber seals and chrome trim. It was eye-wateringly expensive. The rear window now has proper chrome trim.

Thankfully, the paint on it is actually pretty good and has very little orange peel, so they got that right. The car is predominantly rust free, save for two key spots. One is the bottom passenger corner of the windshield, and the other the trunk. There's a a hole in the rear-left most corner of the trunk floor, however if you lift the carpet, the floor and spare wheel well are good. The rear driver's bumper mount is rotten and will need some new metal if plan to do anything with it. The rear passenger fender has a tiny bit of bubbling, as does the front-upper corner of the driver's door.

-The car has some idiosyncrasies consistent with E28s. The fuse panel has a bit of melted plastic around the supplementary fan and blower/Aircon fuses, but they still function.
-The central locking works 95% of the time, and the other 5% are a mystery that always solves itself by the next morning for reasons completely beyond my understanding.
-Seat shocks don't work, so they fall when you adjust them. Pretty typical, from what I understand. Also no heat, unfortunately.
-No cruise control.
-Previous owner added some tan interior trim, no idea why. Looks okay, but is incorrect.

Here's the good stuff:

-Windows, fan, heat, air conditioning, defrost, gauges, lights, all work.
-Euro lights installed.
-Valve adjustment done ess than 20,000 kms on it.
-New plugs (WR9LS) done at 366,000kms.
-Car has Recaros from an E30 with custom adapters.
-H&R springs and Bilstein Sport shocks done in February 2011.
-Rear sway bar is 19mm (M5 is 18) and adjustable. Front bar from an M5 (25mm), with larger, reinforced bushings and mounts. All bushings are poly.
-Upper control arm bushings replaced with polyurethane - Powerflex purple.
-3.73 LSD taken from an E30. Internals look great. Installed Fall '13.
-Transmission replaced in May 2014, taken from a 635csi with 97,000 kms on it. Z3 shifter with delrin bushings. Throws are short, light, and crisp.
-Schmiedmann headers flow into a high flow 2 into 1 cat, into a 3 inch pipe, into a large resonator. It is loud, but not ridiculous. A small muffler in the center of the car would tone it down without neutering it.
-It has been chipped, not sure what brand, previous owner did it. Sure works though! I've only used 91+ gas in the car. It likes it.
-New water pump around 2013.
-New heater core in February 2014.
-Front and rear main seals replaced.
-Front lower control arms replaced 2013-14... I think. Maybe two years ago.
-Driveshaft and flex disc replaced three years ago. Center bearing done 2012-13.
-Clutch done 2013, flywheel resurfaced at the same time. Master and slave done around the same time.
-Brake master cylinder replaced with new unit, brake booster rebuilt 2013.
- Brakes done June 2015 - new rotors + rebuilt front calipers + used calipers for rear SS hoses all around. Brake flush twice and disabled ABS brain ( I still ahve it but the ABS is very primitive on this car so I prefer to not use it).. Car has calipers from a 1995 540i with Bosch Quietstop pads and brand new rotors.
-New fan blower motor... sometime around 2012
-New rear subframe bushings aroudn 2012
-Alternator voltage regulator replaced spring 2014
-Throttle position switch replaced summer 2013
-Coolant temperature switch, distributor cap and rotor, wires replaced 2011
- Coolant level sensor replaced 2015.
-Starter replaced a at end of 2014
-Have a set of Dunlop Graspic DS2 with almost done tread on steelies with Style 2 hubcaps.
- Car is sitting on BBS RX223 16x8 rims with General AS-3 tires with good tread. These rims are very well suited to the car and it drives great on them.
- Installed a glasspack resonator in 2015 to chill the exhaust out a bit. It's still nice and rumbly without angering the neighbourhood.
- Replaced the seals at the bottom exterior edge of the windows in 2016.
- New rear tailights installed in 2015 (have chrome surrounds, new seals too, look nice).

There's an old ad from 2 years ago on this forum. As well as old pics. The car now has appropriate rims and proper tailights and rear window on it.

I loved this car, and took care of it well. It drives so well, and makes me dislike my more contemporary cars. I simply can't transport my child in it, and now drive a boring car as a result. I also have no parking. This is a time sensitive sale. Do NOT be shy with offers.

Currently the battery is dead and off insurance. It can't be test driven as a result. Again, any offers welcome. I have a towing service. I can deliver the car to within 120km radius of M6E 3A9. You can reach me at lifeandtimesofphil@gmail.com

http://imgur.com/a/nvEox

Last edited by rutabagaist; 01-04-2017 at 03:26 PM.
rutabagaist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:08 PM   #2
rutabagaist
1st Gear Newbie

Sold

Sold. Thanks for your interest. The E28 lives on!
rutabagaist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1987, 535i, e28

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: