Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-20-2019, 04:11 PM   #1
Mrgnomer
1st Gear Newbie

Poor dealership service: what should I do

Couple weeks ago I dropped my 2008 M3 off at a T.O. dealer for a battery to fuse box cable recall. Oil change and brake fluid flush and change was up so I added that to the service. Decided to trust them with it.
Took most of the day. Got my baby back late. High cost. Everything seemed ok. Cabin filter change added without my approval. Let it go without saying anything. Engine filter covers not secure. Fixed them.
Don't like to drive her in the rain. A week later it rained while I was out. No wipers.
Checked the fuses. Relay in the wrong spot. Switched it. Wipers back.
Checked oil level. Over max warning. Drained 800ml. Still over max. Not happy.
Just got rating request from dealer. Really want to stick it to them. What should I do.
Mrgnomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:35 AM   #2
jabela
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgnomer View Post
Couple weeks ago I dropped my 2008 M3 off at a T.O. dealer for a battery to fuse box cable recall. Oil change and brake fluid flush and change was up so I added that to the service. Decided to trust them with it.
Took most of the day. Got my baby back late. High cost. Everything seemed ok. Cabin filter change added without my approval. Let it go without saying anything. Engine filter covers not secure. Fixed them.
Don't like to drive her in the rain. A week later it rained while I was out. No wipers.
Checked the fuses. Relay in the wrong spot. Switched it. Wipers back.
Checked oil level. Over max warning. Drained 800ml. Still over max. Not happy.
Just got rating request from dealer. Really want to stick it to them. What should I do.
Yes, be honest and stick it to them. Then never go back for anything other than recalls.
DIY or go to a good indy mechanic like RMP.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.maisonapothecare.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:24 PM   #3
Mrgnomer
1st Gear Newbie

Good advice. Already been to Bimmersport for throttle actuators. Honestly I could have done a better job on the cabin micro filter and oil/ filter change. I'm thinking they may not have heated the oil and/or let it drain long enough. I had to drain 1.5L out before the level read normal. I understand the oil level sensor might not be the most accurate but 1.5L? If they filled up with the recommended volume of oil that means at least a liter or more of oil wasn't drained out. For what the service costs there is no reason for it. Absolutely will either do it myself or go to a good independent like RMP. Hated zipping around with 1.5L over max of oil, no wipers and the engine bay cabin filter covers barely hanging on and not knowing it. Will probably call the dealer directly and see what they say. Will post back on how it goes.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:50 PM   #4
jabela
6th Gear Member

Oil change is super easy DIY, especially if you use a vacuum extractor. I even get an extra 500mL out of the oil filter housing, so it's a better change than gravity drain out the oil pan.

www.maisonapothecare.ca
Old 08-21-2019, 01:17 PM   #5
Mrgnomer
1st Gear Newbie

To be fair about the engine bay filter covers, I'm the fifth owner of a 2008 M3. She's in great condition but little things are worn. The screw holes for the covers were stripped probably before the dealer got at them so securing the covers was a problem. The dealer service could have mentioned that to me and done more than push the screws in and leave both covers barely hanging in. I've since rebuilt the holes and now the screws are holding.
Also, if I wasn't forced to check the fuses and relays I wouldn't have noticed there was no fuse box diagram. Downloaded a diagram and now have one. Thanks to the dealer for forcing a more hands on maintenance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20171116_100414.jpg (360.5 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Mrgnomer; 08-21-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:33 PM   #6
Mrgnomer
1st Gear Newbie

Vacuum extractor: good idea. M3 has no dipstick tube. Where do you vacuum from?
Old 08-21-2019, 01:34 PM   #7
Mrgnomer
1st Gear Newbie

Sorry about the stupid big pic
Old 08-21-2019, 02:05 PM   #8
jabela
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Vacuum extractor: good idea. M3 has no dipstick tube. Where do you vacuum from?
Damn newer BMW's lol. I believe you can still retrofit the dipstick. Google might have answers.

www.maisonapothecare.ca
Old 08-21-2019, 02:50 PM   #9
Mrgnomer
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks BMW for getting rid of the dipstick in favor of a sensor that doesn't read the level until the engine comes to operating temperature. The graphics of the level check look cool though.
Maybe there's a way through the filler or oil filter compartment. I'm ok with jack stands and draining from the pans. Sucking it out from the top would be more convenient though. I could lean back while sucking out the oil into a canister instead of crawling underneath with a hex key, draining then pulling a sloshing pan of 8+L of dirty oil, pouring the pan into used oil containers, crawling back underneath to screw the plugs back in...dirty work.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:29 PM   #10
Mrgnomer
1st Gear Newbie

A google search is coming up with no vacuum for dipstick free models. Seems to be no way of getting tube into the pan from the filler or oil filter access. Also some concern with not being able to drain settled sludge. Oh well. Still I'd do it myself before trusting a dealer. I used to drive commercially and often found dealer service a fast turnover experience. Had to check the work too many times and fix it to trust them. Got to doing basic stuff myself not so much to save money but do it right. Thought to try BMW thinking surely they have higher standards. Seems like not.

Last edited by Mrgnomer; 08-21-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:43 PM   #11
jabela
6th Gear Member

Vacuuming sucks up even more from the oil pan, you can even move it around.
If you have sludge, it's not draining out the plug either and you should be using a better oil and changing it more frequently.

As for the retrofit, here's what you want, though it requires welding the pan or ordering a modified one.
http://store.nexternal.com/bimmerwor...kit-p2042.aspx

www.maisonapothecare.ca
Old 08-23-2019, 11:51 AM   #12
CeeWhizzle
1st Gear Newbie

I worked for a BMW and Mercedes dealership as a service advisor after being a tech for 5 years. (best decision ever)

Few things I noticed that are very similar at many dealerships:

They hate to get a bad review. Especially if it is detailed. You can actually use this to blackmail their service department if you call the and speak to the service manager OR General Manager directly. They will bend and break to most reasonable requests so they can turn that bad review into a good one.

These places get spiffs and such from HQ when getting good reviews, so they definitely do not want bad ones. Some places even cheat the reviews. They will only send an email to long term customers who have nothing to complain about or those that they "worked extra hard for" to make happy so that they can count on a perfect review.

Take my advice. Use it against them before doing it and see how far you can go. Dealerships have a lot of $$$ in the backend.
CeeWhizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:37 PM   #13
Mrgnomer
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for jabela for the mod link and thanks for the insight and good advice CeeWhizzle. I've sent a detailed email to the dealer to see what their response is before doing the rating survey. Was thinking about calling but would rather have a paper trail.
Apart from the overfill all the other stuff was minor, although I did say that if I hadn't found the wiper relay problem before a heavy rain that could have been a problem. Doing 120 on the 401 and getting hit with a sudden downpour is not something I'd want to experience without wipers.
The main thing is engine damage from overfill. I'd like to know if I develop any strange problems with seals, sensors or moving parts they'd acknowledge what was the result of over max oil fill. Let's see.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:06 PM   #14
CeeWhizzle
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
I'd like to know if I develop any strange problems with seals, sensors or moving parts they'd acknowledge what was the result of over max oil fill. Let's see.

Most overfill issues cause seals to leak prematurely due to added pressure build up. It can sometimes add additional oil pressure between the rods/crank shaft bearings. Not 100% what can happen there, but typically if you run with an overfilled engine for a long period of time, it will usually start with your valve cover seals or anything that contains the PCV system.

Good luck.
CeeWhizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:21 PM   #15
Mrgnomer
1st Gear Newbie

The car didn't run overfilled too long but I did full throttle her a few times. Worried a bit about crankshaft foaming engine wear along with the seals. Will keep an eye on the valve cover and any funny oil build ups.
Service advisor responded to the email and asked me to call Wednesday. Will post what happens. Any advice appreciated.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: