Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 7 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-17-2019, 02:24 PM   #16
tominizer
6th Gear Member

So, here's a shot of the steering wheel I found at the wreckers. It's not bad shape but not what I want it to be. And it's a LOT thicker than the pencil thin one that I have on the E38. It looks to me to be very similar to an e39 M5 wheel.

Old Volvo that was sitting there wasting away. One owner and was brought in originally from France. Tons of great parts. Body is rotten.

Lastly, by accident, was at the Haggerty meet on Sunday in Stouffville. And holy lee crap !! Two of my bucket list cars pull in and park beside me. Porsche 964 RS America. And right behind that, BMW E30 M3 with the lowest mileage I've ever seen first hand. 47k km and all original ........WTF?!?!? Was talking at length with both owners. Funny story on the 964. The owner taught his son how to drive standard on that car. LOL. Guess back in the day, values were a lot different than now and these machines were treated a lot different. Both owners said they'd never sell these cars........... I have no money like that anyways, so it wouldn't matter!! ha, ha, ha.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steering wheel.jpg (208.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg volvo.jpg (294.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg bucketlist.jpg (439.4 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by tominizer; 07-17-2019 at 02:28 PM.
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:05 AM   #17
WAB
1st Gear Newbie

Self Levelling Suspension

I note that in your mechanics report that an issue with the rear suspension height is mentioned. The rear self levelling suspension is actually a hydraulic/air system. There are bellows accumulator units on each side that control the ride height of the shock absorbers.

The accumulators on your car are probably shot, the spring steel diaphragm inside them fails due to rupture. The chances are that the shock absorbers have failed as well. Even with these four components failed, the self levelling hydraulic system will still work as its supposed to (as long as there is fluid available under pressure from the power steering reservoir), and the height control valve is still functional.

The accumulator's are not expensive. Unfortunately the shock absorbers are very expensive for your car as they will be of the electronic damping control type. I rebuilt my cars self levelling system about two years ago and know full well how much work and cost is involved.

Whilst you are accessing the rear suspension, it would be a good opportunity to replace the four rear subframe support bushings. Chances are one, if not more of the four, will have the bush split. Usually it is the front two that fail because these are the only ones that use a positive location dowel.

What I did with mine, because the subframe is built to accommodate it, is add location dowels to the rear bushes. I don't know why BMW only did the front two? What I can confirm is that doing this change makes quite an improvement to the handling by keeping the rear tracking properly when cornering on undulating and bumpy surfaces.

For your information, I have the technical document that covers the self levelling system in full. It is to big to be posted on here. Let me know if you want it
WAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:25 AM   #18
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Thanks WAB. BUT.......... that is not the case with my car. We found what the issue is and it's what I stated. I don't know the exact accurate description for the part, but it a switch like device that is activated when the rear of the car is heavily loaded (or something like that). It causes the system to inflate or deflate. The connecting arm is broken on that system on my car. At this point fixing it is irrelevant as I'm going to a coilover setup in the summer.

Cheers
Old 02-10-2020, 11:47 AM   #19
WAB
1st Gear Newbie

Hi Tom

Many people go the coil over option, certainly costs way less than repairing the OEM self levelling. The ride height control on an original self levelling system, is actually done by a hydraulic control valve which is located above the nose of the differential and is modulated by a control link that is connected to the anti-sway bay. If your going coil overs, all you need do is plug the feed line to this valve up where it connects to the power steering pump.

I have done lots on my 750iL, nothing has really failed though. I have had to replace O2 sensors and a G force sensor associated with the air bag system. most of what I have done is normal wear and tear maintenance. The rear subframe bushing check modification I eluded to is something that is a must. You cannot tell the state of the bushings whilst they are on the car.

I have two BMW's a euro e36 M3 and the 750iL I much prefer the 7. My 7 being a sport pack, is just as quick off the mark as the M3 and will easily pull away from the M3 above 140 kph

Okada/Ignition Products MSD coils will fit your 750 and will make a nice power/torque improvement.
WAB is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: