Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 7 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-04-2019, 10:33 AM   #1
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Tom's 2000 750iL Project

After much driving around and looking/debating e38 7-series cars over the last year or more, I bit the bullet and emptied toys fund wallet for one this week. E38 has been on my bucket list to own and I'm not getting any younger. Most of the cars I had looked at were 740's and many were just trashed. The only decent one I found was a '95 but the interior of lite grey just wasn't for me. And I hadn't seen any 750's until this one popped up this week. So I had to go check it out. Pictures looked decent and they just do not pop up very often.

So I took off with my mechanic in tow (still owe him lunch) and we checked out this 2000 750iL. My Mech has been working on these for many years and is very familiar with e38's. Car is far from perfect, but mechanically, body wise and interior seem all to be in good shape. So I finished the deal that day and now it sits in my driveway awaiting closer inspection and some attention.

As of right now the list of issues needing attention:

Steering rack is leaking from somewhere.
Central locking not working
Glove box drawer hinge points under the dash are broken and one of the struts needs to be replaced.
The center console/arm rest has a number of plastic attachment/mounting points that have been compromised and I want to rebuild them. Looks as if someone has been in there and they were broken off for whatever reason. Plastics seem to be very brittle and caution is required with this old girl.
Tint needs to be stripped off the windows.
The engine hood release is compromised. I think it's the cable but we will see. My mechanic got it open during inspection but I haven't been able to. BTW, the engine bay was spotless. And not armourall spotless, just clean clean and the motor was dry (no leaks).
Little bit of rust under the front doors that I want to address right away. Otherwise there is no rust anywhere. When we had it on the hoist, the underside was spotless. This car apparently never saw a winter.
Check engine light which I believe my mechanic said is an o2 sensor. Anyways, he wasn't worried about it.
Valve for the rear air ride needs to be addressed as I believe he said the arm is broken(?). So the back end of the car is sitting high.
Tires as the ones on the car pass safety but are garbage.
Driver and passenger front outer lower plastic seat trim need to be addressed as both are loose. It's a common issue for the attachment screws to have pulled through the plastic. Anyways, e38.org (my new favourite friend) shows a fix for this.
Headliner in the rear is starting to fall a bit. About the size of a venti starbucks cup is falling at the back.
Gasket on the top of the front windshield (exterior) is rotten and needs replacement.

Car also needs a thorough cleaning and the paint needs to be cleaned and polished.
Full size M-parallel spare in the trunk is brand new and never been used.
169k km.
No recorded accidents nor could we find any evidence of accidents anywhere.

Anyways, that's it for now. Still having a thorough go through the car. Right now I'm pulling a lot of the interior out to fix some of the issues and also make sure everything inside is secured and tight. Going to also do some preventative maintenance (mainly fluids) as she has no service records that came with the sale. And once she's back up to snuff, then we'll see where we go.

Exterior : COSMOSSCHWARZ METALLIC (303)
Interior : STANDARDLEDERTOBACCOBRAUN (N8WY)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190402_065746.jpg (301.1 KB, 105 views)

Last edited by tominizer; 04-04-2019 at 10:39 AM.
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:40 AM   #2
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Glove box, center console and all the stuff between the two front seats is out. 20 years makes for an interesting buildup of crud. She needs a solid cleaning as this definitely was no show car. Taken care of on the surface but under the skin ain't the same. But so far no other issues popping out.

Also, time unfortunately is not kind to the plastic bits where things are screwed/bolted to. Plastic mounting points are a tragedy.......

Still pretty amazed at all the leather covered surfaces covered in this 750. That's a lot of work to do all that........ by BMW. Really a lot different than all the plastic and plastic composite stuff now.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:34 PM   #3
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Very good! There's nothing like a V12, especially these days--they're in a league of their own. As you can likely see, the V12 cars got a lot more options, and just feel more opulent inside than their peasant V8 cousins

Best of luck with the restoration. It's never easy, but luckily there are myriad resources available for the E38, and a lot of things were shared with the E39 and E31, so parts are rarely an issue.

Will be following.
TSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:33 PM   #4
tominizer
6th Gear Member

I'm also very very fortunate that a very good friend of mine (also an old guy like me) is a mechanic that has experience with these ...........and they also had one in the family. So he has a wealth of knowledge. He's the one that came with me to inspect the car and I would likely have never considered buying one of these with resources like him on hand to ensure me that I wasn't making a massive mistake in taking this on. Restoration of cars like this are a big commitment........ then again an old BMW is if you want to do things properly.

I've gone through 5 BMW 2002's, two E30 M3's (one was a nutz and bolts restoration) and a Z4M. Those have all been sold at some point in the past except the Z4M. I've likely pissed away more cash on BMWs than I care to admit to. But they make me smile and I enjoy being around them........ restoring them........ driving them....... sharing them with like minded individuals. So we'll see what adventures a 750iL will bring........ I hope they will all be interesting !!
Old 05-19-2019, 11:34 PM   #5
V12
2nd Gear Member

Congrats and good luck. Looking forward to seeing another 750 on the road. They are great cars. Give me a holler if you need some advise in restoring it.

E38 5.4L V12
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:08 AM   #6
tominizer
6th Gear Member

@V12

Thanks, I appreciate the offer.

Everything but the dash is out of the interior. Headliner and pillars being swapped to black. And black carpet also being installed. I'm keeping all the original carpets in case one day someone wants them. Headliner was drooping in the back so it had to go. Recovering it will be an arduous task, especially in the area of the "oh-shit-handles". And the person that came up with that glue they use and the "orange" backing stuff from Satan needs to be hung. Horrible stuff.......
Old 05-28-2019, 09:01 AM   #7
tominizer
6th Gear Member

So, headliner has been completed. I'm not entirely happy. For me to be entirely happy it has to look OEM new. It doesn't. But it was my mistake. The replacement fabric I used was micro suede. It has a backing on it that is NOT very stretchable. It actually has little to no give. Getting the grab handles done properly is a mission impossible given that fact. It does not conform into those grab handle pockets at all. I did the best I could to get it done. I may at some point re-do this headliner card, but next time it will be with another type of black material that I've used in the past with no backing. And it's not any type of suede.

Anyways, A/B/C pillars all done as well. It looks really good if you don't know where to look (!!) and get your nose right up into it. It was a big job..... a dirty job. I will try to post up some pictures soon as well.

The boys at Bimmer Heaven sourced out for me a black carpet and front seat bottom trims in black and I swapped those all out as well. The original Tobacco Brown carpet set is way too ugly for my tastes and the plastic seat bases were in bad shape. But I will keep all of it and store it away in case I ever sell the car and the next owner wants to go back to original colors. But thanks to the guys at Bimmer Heaven in Milton Ontario (Phillip and Peter). Awesome guys and I will be back likely often as I continue to sort through this car.

Hopefully some more pictures shortly.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:23 AM   #8
tominizer
6th Gear Member

So....... yeah the interior is all out. That was fun. Done these things before but man the 7 has a lot of parts. Hope I remember how it all goes back in Having a close inspection of all the floors for any signs of corrosion or damage. So far looks really clean. Vacuuming and cleaning it all out regardless, even though no one will ever see it again. I'm also re-zip tying a lot of the wiring to secure it better as well as recovering a lot of the wire bundles. I like using black hockey tape to wrap as it looks really close to OEM material tape. For me, even though I know no one will ever see it, I like knowing all is neat and tidy as well as secured properly. And there's definitely a LOT of sound deadening in this car. Impressive.

Added picture of the headliner. As noted, that was fun too. Hopefully can add some pictures of it installed shortly.

The rear deck panels really take a beating in the fade department. I am trying some SEM product to bring them back to the correct black. you can see a bit of the first coat. So far kind of on the fence as it's not giving me a that deep BLACK color I want and I've finished about 3 coats now. I may just strip and recover. But this time using some higher end box fabric that doesn't have a backing so I can stretch it the way it needs to be. Won't be using micro suede again any time soon unless the piece is pretty flat.

Seats are all out and I'm having a go through them. I really like this TOBACCOBRUN color and I'm looking forward to seeing this interior back in again and completed.

Oh yeah, forgot to pull the battery when I pulled the interior. Guess I will have the air bag light on. I'm usually pretty good about those things but not this time. Doh!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190508_195850.jpg (471.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20190525_173117.jpg (236.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 20190528_165256.jpg (423.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20190528_165300.jpg (439.2 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by tominizer; 05-29-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 09:36 AM   #9
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Underside of the headliner.

The driver's seat in pretty nice condition. Unfortunately it's only the basic model as I understand it. The upside is the rare color. As is often common, the plastic attachment points for these bases break off leaving us with a sloppy looking mess. I used some drywall corner bead folded a few times and some epoxy to reinforce the attachment point from the inside of the plastic cover and it works really nicely. I however swapped over to black seat bases. Those needed some repairs as well as with these 20 year old cars, finding a set where they are not broken is like finding hen's teeth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190519_094747.jpg (337.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20190518_123319.jpg (182.3 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by tominizer; 05-29-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:28 AM   #10
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Noted last night, that the new black carpet (new to my car) does not about the foot well lights that my original carpet has. These are found just behind your heels for the rear seating location. The replacement black carpet set came out of a 750il as well. So I need to cut those in which should be interesting. The lights do not have much of an overlapping housing so if the holes I cut are not right on the money, there could be gaps. I think I will cut out some templates first and then cut the black carpet.

With the black headliner card now installed as well as the black A/B/C pillars, the "feel" inside the car is dramatically different. And in a VERY good way. Job was a pain in the azz, but I think it was worth it.

Last edited by tominizer; 05-31-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:22 AM   #11
V12
2nd Gear Member

Looking like you are making good progress.
The seat plastic can be reinforced using a small piece of c-aluminium strip. You can get it at homedepot or cdntire. I think your fix is good too .

Does yours have the rear windshield electric blind?

E38 5.4L V12
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:50 AM   #12
tominizer
6th Gear Member

It seems like that plastic weld stuff is pretty tough. I'm using it on another BMW to repair the inner fender liners and some trim under the front bumper. Works very well on all that crappy BMW black plastic stuff.

Powered rear headrests are now repaired. They would not go up and down. Now they do. Sourced out those plastic housings as shown in the picture that had cracked and jammed the screw portion. Repair was pretty straight forward. Also made sure that the motors were working FIRST before going through the whole process of the repair. I've had that experience in blasting through stuff like this to repair something only to find out it was a waste of time because that OTHER thingy didn't work either. Anyways, the replacement pieces (white things!!) came from a source in Europe where they are making them out a stronger material apparently..... so it doesn't fail. We will see. Sourced off of an E38 site that point me to Ebay.

@V12 Yes, it has the electric blind. Kind of cool unit as it's totally stand alone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190701_085450.jpg (229.3 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by tominizer; 07-03-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:58 AM   #13
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Yesterday I found a nice thick M-sport steering wheel out of a 2001 E39 530i at the u-pick wrecker. Figured hey, why not un-install that and try and fit-her-up on my E38. It's not perfect but it will do nicely if it works and feels WAAAAAY better than the E38 wheel.

Pictures to come once I figure it all out.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #14
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

sub'd

I miss the days when build/resto threads were more common on max.
Made for good afternoon coffee reads at work

Old 07-17-2019, 02:13 PM   #15
tominizer
6th Gear Member

Yes, MAX seems to have change a lot with regards to that....... oh well. I guess times change.

For those looking for those head rest clips to repair the up/down motor function, here's the link :

Rear Head Rest Clip Repair PArt

Not much more progress on my part. I've been helping my son with his E46 coupe lately. I'm sourcing out someone to recover that steering wheel I picked up. Trunk also been gutted to start the planning for the new audio setup.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: