Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-03-2004, 08:32 PM   #1
mikee30
2nd Gear Member

e30 sound system help please

OKay...I can't figure this out and it's killing me. I have a 90 325i, with premium sound package. I removed the stock radio and wanted to wire up my cd player deck. After making all the connections, I test it out...everything works great..power antenna, sound etc..all perfect.
I start the car, take off...start driving, turn on radio, and begin to hear a buzzing noise. This noise increases in pitch as my tach goes higher! Ok fine..I put in a cd thinking it would not be there also..but it is! The buzzing can be heard on AM/FM and CD modes.

So I pull the radio out thinking the case was not grounded or something, or many internal wiring is affecting it...but it still does it...yet when the car is off...it works perfectly. I know the cd player is fine (had it in another car), and the stock radio never did this....so what can be causing this problem? I put electrical tape around all the wiring to ensure no crosstalk...but sitll there.

What am I connecting wrong? Speakers? Antenna?
I was told putting a capacitor on the power could solve this...but I don't understand why I'd need hat if it worked well with the stock stereo.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
mikee30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 08:58 PM   #2
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

ok how did u run the speaker wires?

Bcus in the preium sound system for our cars there is a factory amp in the truck. If u still have it hooked up to that amp, i think thats ur prob.

what u need to do is run new speaker wires from ur deck to each speaker if u want them powered by the deck.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:46 PM   #3
mikee30
2nd Gear Member

What if I want it powered buy the factory amp? This isn't possible?
I basically unplugged each of the wires form the stock radio, and put them in my cd player!

Anything wrong with that?
Old 06-03-2004, 10:40 PM   #4
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

U have to rewire to whole car for best results. This was done on my car just a couple of weeks ago, due to the same annoying noise...

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec-ST Tuning Kit- Lowered-Wokke Chips- Custom Exhaust- 18" MK1's-KN Filters+ M Steering Wheel- Stereo Upgrade +++
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 10:46 PM   #5
mikee30
2nd Gear Member

what I don't understand is even if I do rewire the whole car and want to put in an amp, won't I be back at sqaure 1 with the same problems just a different amp?

were u getting the same noise as the one I am getting or just an annoying hum?

Also, did you install an amp and new speakers?
Old 06-04-2004, 02:30 AM   #6
SourSamo
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to SourSamo
Usually a better ground will help out alot. Your just gettting engine interference in the amp.
SourSamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 03:32 AM   #7
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

if u put an after market amp in u wouldn't have that prob.

or atleast it wont be for the same reason.

The reason is factory amp is made to only work with the factory deck.....which has only two signals going to the amp.....u see the fader knob above the deck, that actually control the fading from the amp not the deck thats why they have it seperate from the deck. + another reason is ur amplifing a signal that isn't meant to be amplified...thats why u getting all that feed back/noise

Plus factory amps are garbage, the distrotion level on them is really high.

Jus by-pass the factory amp, u wont have that prob with the aftermarket amp if u wanna put one later
Old 06-04-2004, 03:43 AM   #8
mikee30
2nd Gear Member

Well I was hoping to put in the sound system all at once...I have a MTX amp lying around, and my deck is a clarion 35x4....should I change the speakers?

Do I need to pass new wiring to the speakers as well?

How can I eliminate the buzz without bypassing the stock amplifier? SourSamo...where do you suggest I put the extra ground? On the casing of the radio (tried that already)?

Thanks guys
Old 06-04-2004, 04:42 AM   #9
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Actually Trevor, the THD on the factory premium amp is just 0.01!!. It sounded a lot cleaner than my first headunit (JVC), it just didn't have the guts to handle the volume I wanted.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:45 PM   #10
mikee30
2nd Gear Member

So I still don't get this...everyone who wants to install a new deck on an e30 with premium sound has to remove the amp and rewire the whole car?? I find that hard to believe....
Old 06-04-2004, 02:58 PM   #11
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Think about it. You're sending an amplified signal to another amp with much weaker specs, that is then amplifying it again. I had my car like that for about a week, it was hilariously bad.

You MUST rewire it.
Old 06-04-2004, 04:21 PM   #12
mikee30
2nd Gear Member

Mystikal: Yeah I figured that was what was causing the problem, but I didn't everyone who installed a cd deck rewired everything.

I'm kinda new to audio and that kind of stuff....
Let's say I put in an aftermarket amp with my cd deck, will I still get the buzzing sound, or will it disapear due to the wiring being new?
Old 06-04-2004, 04:27 PM   #13
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

RUN SPEAKER WIRED STRAIGHT FROM YOUR DECK!!!!

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec-ST Tuning Kit- Lowered-Wokke Chips- Custom Exhaust- 18" MK1's-KN Filters+ M Steering Wheel- Stereo Upgrade +++
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 05:07 PM   #14
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mystikal
Actually Trevor, the THD on the factory premium amp is just 0.01!!. It sounded a lot cleaner than my first headunit (JVC), it just didn't have the guts to handle the volume I wanted.
Really? i never actually checked out our amp, but i remember watching a show where these guys were putting a system in a Z3 and they wwere talkin about how much distortion the factory amp had, and how it was sooo shitty and how most factory ones are.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:34 PM   #15
Slowered318
6th Gear Member

you can bypass the amp at the trunk without re-wireing everything.. it's not exactly an easy task, but it can be done.

best option would be to run new speaker wires.. you'll need to pull back the carpet on either the left or right side of the car. keep the factory speakers for now they are pretty good..
Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: