Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-23-2007, 11:45 AM   #31
Boots R
Boots, not boost
 
Boots R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Brampton
Posts: 10,958


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Please tell me the intersection where you have to wait 4-5 minutes for the light to change.
407 E and weston offramp. Every ****ing friday i'm stuck there for at least 5 minutes. And yes, i've counted. I've also seen the white WALK symbol go to the flashy red hand, then back to the WALK symbol.

God, that aggrivates me. I have to go right, then pull a U turn down the road.
Boots R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:11 PM   #32
BigD
the misanthropist
 
BigD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: a house
Posts: 6,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots R View Post
I've also seen the white WALK symbol go to the flashy red hand, then back to the WALK symbol.
I've only seen that happen when the person stops short or crooked off the sensor. One time I was boxed in between a curb and thick traffic, with a left on arrow light, and the tard infront stopped before the sensor. I tried honking, nothing. In the end I had to get out and tell them to move up - totally confused asian woman at the wheel.

This is pretty much unrelated but it made me think of other goofiness I've seen at lights and my favorite happens rarely but when it does it's worth the wait. Ever see a guy overshoot the white line, back up to get out of the intersection, and leave it in reverse? I sometimes piss people off because I don't leave until I see that guy floor it in reverse, it's ****ing hilarious.
BigD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:25 PM   #33
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 13,107
For the record, no traffic signal in Ontario is programmed with a longer transitional period than 120 seconds (aka 2 minutes). If you wait any longer you're not positioned properly on the weight sensor and/or it's broken.

Jay
__________________
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:32 PM   #34
propr'one
op sucks cock
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: T.
Posts: 17,932
Send a message via MSN to propr'one
gimme a mirt
__________________
I run a canadian led kit & hid kit company, if you have any questions about led headlights or hid kits in canada or would like to check out our products please contact me here: http://absolutehid.ca

2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 220M 19's, Michelin Supersports
2006 YZF-R6, bunch of go-fast stuff
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:48 PM   #35
Quack
Wheelman
 
Quack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,081
Send a message via MSN to Quack
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Did you actually time it (don't mean a stopwatch or anything, but notice the clock before and after) or is this a gut feeling? I've never come across an intersection like that. I don't think I'd run the red but do the right turn/uie thing cause that's nuts.
I actually was just looking at the clock, I was getting so pissed waiting I planned to run it, I think the reason why those lights took so long is because it's a small street coming onto a major street intersection.
__________________

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:17 PM   #36
europrince
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North York
Posts: 6,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
For the record, no traffic signal in Ontario is programmed with a longer transitional period than 120 seconds (aka 2 minutes). If you wait any longer you're not positioned properly on the weight sensor and/or it's broken.

Jay
good to know
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:41 PM   #37
jstalin
capitalism=crisis
 
jstalin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Via Dolorosa
Posts: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
This is pretty much unrelated but it made me think of other goofiness I've seen at lights and my favorite happens rarely but when it does it's worth the wait. Ever see a guy overshoot the white line, back up to get out of the intersection, and leave it in reverse? I sometimes piss people off because I don't leave until I see that guy floor it in reverse, it's ****ing hilarious.
I've never seen this happen, but have left the car in reverse a few times & fired it up not realizing.
__________________
Rise with your class, not above your class
̿ ̿̿'\̵͇̿̿\o=(•̪●)=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿
jstalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:37 PM   #38
e30bim
Banned
 
e30bim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 696
I go through reds at night if i came to a full stop and not one car is in sight only. During the day in heavy traffic I will go through oranges for sure that are sometimes turned to red only if it's at a quiet cross street that has a light that usually never changes. Reason being I will only do this on my daily trek home from work at intersections I know and at lights I know the person has probably fallen asleep at waiting for it to change. Reason being, 99% of drivers are slow stupid idiots that lack common sense, reaction time and are afraid to be on the road. I drive fast, safe and alert... so move to the right and get the **** out of my way.
e30bim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:50 PM   #39
ScotcH
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,876
Treat it like a 4-way stop. No one there, so why the hell am I wasting time waiting for acomputer to flip the switch?
__________________
2007 BMW 328Xi Touring, 6 speed
ScotcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:24 PM   #40
Meegis
Banned
 
Meegis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Maple, Ontario
Posts: 3,269
When I used to live in thornhill (Yonge & Centre) the traffic light coming home from a meet late on a friday night used to piss the shit out of me.

Dufferin and Centre street intersection. I'd be on Centre going east, waiting at the red. I don't know if they have since fixed it, but it was definately broken when I was still there. I once sat there, 3 minutes later the dufferin green turned yellow, then red. Left turn signals came on for my direction, so I was like, ok, time to go. NOPE! left turn light goes red and dufferin gets a green again. It happened like 4 times to me and it usually changed for duffering 3-5 times before Centre gets a green. Man I hated that light, especially if I had to take a shit.
Meegis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:30 PM   #41
someguy
Singhy
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Please tell me the intersection where you have to wait 4-5 minutes for the light to change.
I know the question wasnt directed towards me, but

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en...wloc=addr&om=1

This intersection is one that takes FOREVER regardless of traffic in either direction.

This is just one of many places....I think there are even some intersections that don't have the sensors in the road, so you just have to wait it out.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:40 PM   #42
Arash
6th Gear Member
 
Arash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meegis View Post
When I used to live in thornhill (Yonge & Centre) the traffic light coming home from a meet late on a friday night used to piss the shit out of me.

Dufferin and Centre street intersection. I'd be on Centre going east, waiting at the red. I don't know if they have since fixed it, but it was definately broken when I was still there. I once sat there, 3 minutes later the dufferin green turned yellow, then red. Left turn signals came on for my direction, so I was like, ok, time to go. NOPE! left turn light goes red and dufferin gets a green again. It happened like 4 times to me and it usually changed for duffering 3-5 times before Centre gets a green. Man I hated that light, especially if I had to take a shit.
I've lived at dufferin/center for 6 years, but that's never happened to me. But, I know according to their books, at an intersection where a 3 lane road meets a 2 lane road, or a 2 lane intersects a one lane rd, the street with more lanes has to have more green time and longer ambers than the street with less lanes.
Arash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:58 PM   #43
europrince
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North York
Posts: 6,726
makes sense
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:20 PM   #44
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy
 
bmwm5lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Thornhill
Posts: 15,581
All the time. Especially after King Rd and 400. I am known to run a quite a few red lights around town too though.
__________________
www.enthusiastauto.caNeed a car???

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec-ST Tuning Kit- Lowered-Wokke Chips- Custom Exhaust- 18" MK1's-KN Filters+ M Steering Wheel- Stereo Upgrade +++
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:46 PM   #45
BimmerboyPH
5th Gear Member
 
BimmerboyPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Smithville
Posts: 981
Never have, never will.
BimmerboyPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2018