Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #16
marek
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 963


Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
Not that I agree with the oil companies or anything, I hate them just like the rest. But the reason for Diesel being more expensive comes down to simple supply and demand. The push to having more cars running off diesel just pushes the price up. The other main reason is that out of every barrel of oil you get about half as much diesel as you do Gasoline. I believe it's something like 20 gallons of gasoline to every 10 gallons of diesel. So more people using it + less of it available = higher prices.
Ummm, so why is diesel cheaper in Europe even though 50% of cars there run on diesel? This has nothing to do with supply and demand, but with market speculation and pure greed.
marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #17
chromius
6th Gear Member
 
chromius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by marek View Post
Ummm, so why is diesel cheaper in Europe even though 50% of cars there run on diesel? This has nothing to do with supply and demand, but with market speculation and pure greed.
Uhmm where did you get that info? Diesel in europe is over 1.40EUR/liter in a lot of places (1.88 Canadian dollars), in one case it was 2.25CAD/liter. And that was from Feb, probably a lot more now.
Prices of diesel in Ottawa last I checked were around 1.20/liter.

Europe is considerably more expensive.

But either way, regional/country differences in prices are usually due to different government taxation levels. There are some european countries which subsidize the price of diesel via lower taxation vs the price of gasoline. But either way that doesn't change the supply/demand issue. I'm not arguing that greed doesn't have anything to do with it, but a lot of the greed is from the government as well as the oil companies. But you can't just discount supply and demand.

It's the same way a bad crop year in Saskatchewan can affect grain prices worldwide.
__________________
Photobucket
chromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:17 AM   #18
lvan
6th Gear Member
 
lvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 5,377
Send a message via MSN to lvan
Was it an older gas station?
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #19
marek
5th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius View Post
Uhmm where did you get that info? Diesel in europe is over 1.40EUR/liter in a lot of places (1.88 Canadian dollars), in one case it was 2.25CAD/liter. And that was from Feb, probably a lot more now.
Prices of diesel in Ottawa last I checked were around 1.20/liter.

Europe is considerably more expensive.

But either way, regional/country differences in prices are usually due to different government taxation levels. There are some european countries which subsidize the price of diesel via lower taxation vs the price of gasoline. But either way that doesn't change the supply/demand issue. I'm not arguing that greed doesn't have anything to do with it, but a lot of the greed is from the government as well as the oil companies. But you can't just discount supply and demand.

It's the same way a bad crop year in Saskatchewan can affect grain prices worldwide.
I meant that diesel is cheaper than gasoline in Europe, not that it is cheaper than in Canada.
marek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #20
chromius
6th Gear Member
 
chromius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 4,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by marek View Post
I meant that diesel is cheaper than gasoline in Europe, not that it is cheaper than in Canada.
As I mentioned, that's because of different taxation. Many European countries subsidize diesel, or don't tax it as much as gasoline. In Ontario the same tax is applied to Diesel and Gasoline. So if anything, the price difference of the two here is more indicative of the actual price difference after refining.

If you were to compare the pre-tax prices of Diesel both here and in Europe, it wouldn't be much different, aside from the individual differences in transport and Import/export costs.

So in a sense you're right, it is greed, but it's government greed.
__________________
Photobucket
chromius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #21
BookerM3
1st Gear Newbie
 
BookerM3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Whitby
Posts: 9
I am not one to say me too... However, Thursday my wifes 2010 X3 suffered
the same issue at a different Petro Canada in Oshawa (Taunton and Thornton).

She filled up and the car stalled approx 500m from the station. She call me and
BMW assist, when she told me the EML lite was on (Drive by wire warning lite)
was on I thought it was some sort of sensor issue. As her vehicle was being
towed to Endras BMW we noticed another car on a flat bed being dropped
off at the same time.

We didn't hear from the dealer til this morning and was immediately asked
when did we fill up? Out of the first 4l of fuel removed from the tank approx.
3 l was water. They went on to say that the other car we saw being dropped
of at the same time with ours had filed up at the same station and had the
same issue.

I approved the repair (new plugs, oil, drain fuel,...) and immediately tried to
get ahold of Petro Canada Corp, being Saturday, no answer. So I call the
station and spoke to the Manager, who was very aggressive and was adimit
that there was no water in his gas and that it must be something else and
hung up.

Looks like I will be dealing with Petro Canada Corp. on this issue.
BookerM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2017