Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Rides
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-27-2017, 10:49 PM   #16
Bimee
1st Gear Newbie

Nice car
Bimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:35 PM   #17
dbworld4k

Thanks guys.

I've done a lot of maintenance over the last 12 months and some upgrades sprinkled in. Here's a small update on how it currently sits: BMW 513M 18" wheels and tires, Koni yellows + H&R Sport springs, swapped the interior to Saddle Brown along with various interior trim bits, and upgraded the Logic 7 audio system to Individual Enhanced Premium Sound.

Next up will be some power mods to help BMW's last N/A straight-six hit it's potential.

dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 08:24 PM   #18
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
Next up will be some power mods to help BMW's last N/A straight-six hit it's potential.
Unless you want to spend $$$ to unlock potential the only worth while mods IMO are intake... for the induction noise... and cat back exhaust again for the noise.

I've got an AFE intake on mine with catless headers and appropriate AA tune and I can say that as much as it SOUNDS worth it... it doesn't FEEL worth it.

It doesn't feel significantly quicker than stock, not great bang for the buck to be had on these motors compared to the N54's
Old 01-03-2018, 09:40 AM   #19
JJJames
+ E91 328xi 6 speed

The BMW Performance Exhaust sounds awesome. I gather the 3 stage intake with tune will add a bit of a bump in power but not huge (which is why I haven't done it...yet).
JJJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:35 PM   #20
dbworld4k

I have an AFE intake and an exhaust.

The 3 stage manifold and headers, with a tune are good for nearly 35-40whp. Also the modified intake lift valve supports are good for another 8-10whp. That’s a huge gain over stock and worth it in my eyes.

I already have the manifold, just waiting for some warmer weather to throw it on. These -20C temps aren’t DIY friendly!

Old 01-03-2018, 09:38 PM   #21
JJJames
+ E91 328xi 6 speed

Quote:

The 3 stage manifold and headers, with a tune are good for nearly 35-40whp. Also the modified intake lift valve supports are good for another 8-10whp. That’s a huge gain over stock and worth it in my eyes.

I already have the manifold, just waiting for some warmer weather to throw it on. These -20C temps aren’t DIY friendly!
Cool, where'd you get the intake? I've been looking for one in the GTA on and off for the last little while for my E91 but haven't found one under $500, which is the goal. Whats the intake valve support mod? Haven't heard of that one.
JJJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:50 PM   #22
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:

To give you an idea...it'll be about as fast as a base Golf 1.8TSI 6MT running 91 octane and 13psi tune. I pulled 50-150 with a friend and was dead even.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:18 PM   #23
dbworld4k

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJames View Post
Cool, where'd you get the intake? I've been looking for one in the GTA on and off for the last little while for my E91 but haven't found one under $500, which is the goal. Whats the intake valve support mod? Haven't heard of that one.
I got it locally, used. it was well under $500... They pop up in the local classified every now and then. I absolutely LOVE the sound, and it definitely made a little difference up top. These cars almost sound like a hybrid when stock, lol.

MILV: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1329840
Basically tricking the car into thinking it has cams. With the BPC tune, it's yielded around 8-10 whp/wtq through the entire power band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
To give you an idea...it'll be about as fast as a base Golf 1.8TSI 6MT running 91 octane and 13psi tune. I pulled 50-150 with a friend and was dead even.
Nice, I know it's still a slow car by modern standards but that's not what I'm going for. As long as it gives me that N52 330i/E36 M3 feel pulling hard all the way to redline (instead of falling flat around 5500 stock) I'm happy.

Old 01-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #24
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Nice, I know it's still a slow car by modern standards but that's not what I'm going for. As long as it gives me that N52 330i/E36 M3 feel pulling hard all the way to redline (instead of falling flat around 5500 stock) I'm happy.
I wouldn't even say it's slow, it's sufficiently quick. I was more pointing towards the bang for the buck factor. It's easy to spend a couple grand on bolt-ons for these cars and not feel much of an increase in performance compared to the boosted offerings (i.e. 135, 335, etc.) that will give you noticeable more shove with a a basic stage 1 tune.

These motors should pull hard up to 6500 stock when running properly, the DISA valves seem to be problematic though. There are times when I'm driving and it's obvious that something isn't quite right, the car feels sluggish, a bit down on power. Then I'll just shut the car off and restart it and it feels normal and responsive again. I had a friend who also had an E90 330i and he said he experienced a similar characteristic.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:36 AM   #25
1BADBMR
6th Gear Member

Looking Good Anuk!

Don't throw $ into this car to gain power. You got an M3 for that reason
04 Honda Civic (Beater)
93 318i (SOLD)
1BADBMR is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: