Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 09:04 PM   #91
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36

Quote:
Originally posted by jeremy
cool...i think you should be my personal trainer
Another month or so and I'll be certified.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:09 PM   #92
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally posted by pip328
FYI, i skipped all the posts, www.discussfitness.com is a great place for info, im there a lot.
Good forum but I find there are more questions than answers on there.. and a lot of the answers are half-assed. The forum I've been frequenting for the past 4 years is underground. Pay only... you can't even read the posts or see anything until you pay. It's on an invite-only basis.. so everyone on the forum is networked in one way or another. Serious bodybuilders and quite a few famous athletes, actors, etc. on there... we keep everything anonymous. It's where I've gained most of my knowledge... going for my health & nutrition certificate and CPT (Certified personal trainer cert.) is so easy after learning.

There are other forums out there which offer much more knowledge. Try to find the underground forums where the real bodybuilders, fitness girls, etc hang out. (the people who are serious and don't want to waste their time replying to kids who don't know what they're doing or don't want to listen.)
Old 09-02-2004, 09:09 PM   #93
jeremy
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin e36
Another month or so and I'll be certified.
cool
Old 09-02-2004, 09:12 PM   #94
jeremy
6th Gear Member

justin,

what if i wanna tone what i got now and just loose the gut....i heard if i start dieting i will loose weight everywhere else first then the gut...and i dont wanna loose any size on my arms,shoulders,chest etc..if anyhting i want them bigger....you know what it mean...

so should i still stick with the bulk up and then trim after ?
Old 09-02-2004, 09:13 PM   #95
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally posted by BigD
Ok here's my bit on all of this. There is way too much to put into words so I won't even try but I will give the general idea. First of all, if you're going to slack, or not work hard, then don't even bother.

Next, if you expect extraordinary results you will have to go do extraordinary things to get them. Sorry to burst the all-natural bubble, but unless you're like this powerlifter I know from the US, at 6'10 and 540 lbs, then hard work alone won't get you there. I'm not going to be specific but yeah you know what I mean.

I will leave the body composition stuff to Justin but I would like to add (or re-iterate, haven't read all his posts) that cardio and weights don't mix. They must be completely separate workouts. If you do cardio in the beginning of a weight training workout, then your weights will take a hit and hinder your progress because you will be out of gas before you strain the muscles and the nervous system as hard as you could have. If you do cardio at the end, well, if you CAN do cardio at the end, then you didn't work hard enough. So do it at a totally separate time (morning cardio/eve. weights generally works well). Also if you really want to get serious about eating right, attend the SWIS seminar (swis.ca). I'm sad to see that it's now a shadow of it's former self (it used to be 3 days packed with seminars by the best nutritionists, bodybuilders, powerlifters [a few years ago Kaz was there, and he rolled up a frying pan into a burrito with one hand], olympic coaches, shit you name it) but all the best nutritionists are still there so go and learn.

Now onto the getting stronger part. The first thing you have to learn is to not be afraid of weights and of failure. The only way to build absolute strength is to lift very heavy which means sometimes lifting too heavy.

If you've been doing sets of 10 up to now, don't rush into it. Work up in weight week after week, going down to sets of 6, 3 and finally doing maxes. Having never done maximal lifting for any appreciable amount of time, the structural proteins that holds the muscle together, will not be very strong and the risk of a muscle tear will be high.

Big does not necessarily mean strong. Yes, a sure way to increase strength is to increase the cross sectional area of a participating muscle belly (get bigger). But a better way is to optimize your CNS (central nervous system). A muscle contraction occurs by a group of neurons firing an electrical pulse to your muscle. These groups of neurons are called "motor units". Contrary to what most people think, a muscle fiber cannot contract partially. A given muscle fiber can only contract fully or not at all. The way your body achieves partial effort is to simply fire fewer motor units. The biggest difference between a seasoned strength athlete is the ability to fire more of these motor units at one time. There was a study done looking at the percentage of recruitment of motor units in powerlifters and average weight trainees during impulsive, maximum effort. (ie flex as hard as you can...NOW) The average person fires roughly 60%, a good powerlifter, over 80. Obviously the average guy will go up as he strains but point is that time has expired, those 60% are tired, and you are probably now stabled to the floor by the weight.

A major contributing issue is that for every signal the brain sends to contract a muscle, it sends a negative. It's a safety margin. Your muscle is strong enough to tear itself apart, we can't have that. If you've ever had a muscle cramp, you have an idea for what it would be like to live without these opposing signals - every forceful muscular contraction would feel that way. For instance, did you know that there is not a single bit of muscle or connective tissue between the two legs at the crotch? Then why can't an average male do the splits? You can put one leg at a time perpindicular to your body, why not both? The reason is safety. Your body has been living with it's legs together for 20 or whatever years and it sees this as the only safe condition (insert slut joke about women here). As you practice the splits, you are not stretching anything, you are convincing your body that this is ok, and to relax more and more. The same thing happens when you train heavy. You tell your body that it's ok to fire a little harder every time.

The only way to train this is with heavy weight and/or explosive movement. You also have to do overload partials. A given lift will be limited by the weakest muscle. If you take some 1" link chain, and put in a paperclip to hold it together, the whole chain is only as strong as that paperclip. If your chest is capable of moving 400 lbs but your triceps can only move 300, guess what your max bench will be? hint: NOT 400 Most guys are obsessed with having big titties but if you want to bench big, triceps cannot be neglected. And when I say triceps, I don't mean panzy rope pushdowns and kickbacks. I mean heavy rack lockouts, board presses, and elbow ripping extensions. Pushdowns have their place but must also be done heavy.

The final thing (which is really the first) is form. I can write a book on this (well all of the above, but moreso on form) so I won't bother getting into details. I will say that I can guarantee all of you that you have 0 idea what proper form is, and the difference is drammatic. Some people gain instantly on their lifts, others take a hit initially because they are too weak. Proper form requires flexibility and strength. Your upper back must be very thick and strong, and your stomach must be a box of muscle (no not pretty but that's what it takes). And believe it or not, you have to have strong legs. If you don't know how to use your legs on the benchpress, you are cheating yourself out of a LOT of poundage.

To give some idea of the style of training, here was my last week:
Monday:
4 board press - working up to 545x1
(to see what a board press is, go here:
http://www.opengraphics.com/~dvoronov/5board.asf)
Closegrip Incline - 315x10x3
Skull Crushers - 225x7x3
Pushdowns - alotX5x3

Tuesday:
Pulldowns - up to 310x10
Pullups for 6
Side raises - 60x10x3
Biceps - yeah they look nice

Thursday:
Squats - 500x5x3 no belt, 600x2 belt
calf raises - as much as would fitx10x3

Saturday:
Rack lockouts, worked up to 800x1
Seated military press, worked up to 365x2 (would have been 3 but almost passed out)
Elbows out extensions: 85's x10x3
Thanks for helping with the tread Dmitry. Guys, this is your bible. Read it, learn it, anything you don't understand... ask questions. A lot of good info. A very good example of a balanced weightlifting split too.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:16 PM   #96
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally posted by jeremy
justin,

what if i wanna tone what i got now and just loose the gut....i heard if i start dieting i will loose weight everywhere else first then the gut...and i dont wanna loose any size on my arms,shoulders,chest etc..if anyhting i want them bigger....you know what it mean...

so should i still stick with the bulk up and then trim after ?
Two things. One, whoever told you that you will lose from your gut last... lied to you. You WILL lose some weight from your arms, chest, back, legs, etc. However you will lose maybe 30-40% more weight around your waist, as this is your fat reserve.

I do see your plight about getting thinner all around. There is no way around this, other than to bulk up till you're huge muscley and somewhat fat... then cut out all the fat, including the gut.

How you want to approach this is entirely up to you and what you feel comfortable doing.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:22 PM   #97
jeremy
6th Gear Member

your a good man justin...
Old 09-02-2004, 09:23 PM   #98
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally posted by chitown
That's what I need to do is start bringing in food, that's the reason I'm asking, cause I can't be eating pizza and gyros and stuff everyday. In the mornings I usually eat cereal like Special K with 1% milk, but I also sometimes make a protein MRP. That's usually at 6-6:30. I don't eat again until 12pm. Then after that I won't eat until about 6ish, which is dinner time. So I sort of need some healthy ideas for in between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner. Other than tuna and turkey sandwiches, I'm a bit lost

Also I didn't do too well with the supps (was liquid btw, unless tabs is the same thing) as I wasn't on my normal routine, which was a total waste, but I think the most important thing for me is diet, becuase I would always get back into the gym and work hard, but my diet wasn't spot on like it should be and didn't really get any great results.
hey... sure, there are loads of things you can do. One of the great things readily available from your local convenience store is 500ml of Chocolate Milk. (Neilson brand is best). Very healthy, and around 20g of Protein. Not bad for $1.50 huh? Snacks you can bring with you are things like Peanuts, soy nuts, fruits, vegetables & dip, yogurts, granolla bars, wholemeal sandwiches, Chicken breast, etc.

Ah okay.. they threw away your liquid stuff, I thought you meant the pills. Price on that is still the same thank god... sucks that they threw it out though. How'd you dog find it?!

Yeah, you definately need to stay on top of your routine with working out AND diet AND supplements to get all the results you want. My cutting cycle went pretty good... I did something similar to what you did.. I shed a solid 20LB and defined my abs, back, arms, legs, etc... looked nicely ripped without my shirt on and without flexing... was good.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:06 PM   #99
chitown
4th Gear Member

Nice nice, yeah. For me it's a bit hard to find the motivation sometimes too, but I think most of all it's the gym I signed up for, thought it was OK at first, but the equipment is all old and junky, still wish I lived in Mississauga, planet workout was the shit. Thanks for the food ideas, I actually just bought chocolate milks, I didn't think they were that great for you though, guess I was wrong

The dog found it...I had it in the bag on top of my computer kind of hidden so noone would snoop around, and my computer tower is on the floor underneath my desk, so my dog came downstairs one day when someone was on my computer, and he started sniffing at it and whatever and ended up knocking it off, that's when they found it and freaked out I'm going to try and get back into routine for awhile, and maybe hit you up for it again in a bit, not sure though, I only need to lose about 20 lbs I think, should only take 2 months if I'm on target

I'd love to be like a lot of you guys though, bulking, eat everything in sight, sort of wish I was an ectomorph like some of my friends who eat shit everyday but don't gain a pound, lol
Old 09-02-2004, 10:11 PM   #100
Big Chin
5th Gear Member

Hey Justin Best Exercises to work my back and Knees .. both which are doing pretty badly now
Old 09-03-2004, 09:18 AM   #101
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin e36
hey... yeah sorry I haven't replied to your PM yet. Everything you need to know has been posted already. The cigarettes will make it tough for you to do cardio or even bodybuild. Simply because the smoke (can't remember which element it is) binds to your hemoglobin on your red blood cells. (usually responsible for carrying fresh oxygen to your muscles and relieving them of lactic acid.) This is why ciagarettes make you so short of breath and makes your body tire out so quickly. Also the same reason why it leads to erectile dysfunction in some people.

What is your heart like? Good condition? I'm reluctant to advise any thermogenic drugs such as ephedrine or even caffeine at this point. How old are you? How long have you been smoking for?

Dear Dr. Justin:

Not a problem, I'm 26 and I've been smoking for 8 years I should quit cause another problem is that it messes with your thyroid, and that causes weight gain. My heart is decent it's been broken a few times. Coffee is not a problem, some nights I'll have 8 cups. Isn't ephedrine illigal in Canada? or is it the states? I was reading up on legal steroids, better for your health and what not, what's your take on that? Like I said I just wanna loose about 20-30 pounds of off my gut.....Should just go and get Lypo done...J/K...

Tony
Buckingham, Quebec,

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Old 09-03-2004, 11:41 AM   #102
328power
GAS GUZZLER !!

Quote:
Originally posted by EMPOWERD
I would like to loose about 40lbs of fat this winter (forever). Plan on doing lots of cardio and weight lifting to not loose muscle mass. Any pointers would help... i hate boring cardio programs.

Good Idea for a thread since im just starting back into hardcore training ...

RIght now im in my cutting phase ...

Im on the 3rd week...

Prior to my cutting phase i did 1 month of moderate lifting and hardly any cardio just to get my body prepared for the next couple months of hard training.. ( didnt lift at all for 2 months before that )

Well currently now im doing 5-6 days a week of 1-2 bodyparts + abs + 25-30 mins of cardio....

Im also currently on the ECA stack which i can tell you really works !!! right now im taking Diet fuel in the am to get my metabolism going along with high protein meals throughout the day and lots of grains !!( fiber is key )

5-6 meals with my last meal being a low carb protein shake around 10 PM.. and of course 4-5 litres of water a day ( pee like a madman )

As for the ECA stack .... The dosage im currently taking is

25 mg EPHEDRINE HCL , 200 mg caffeine , 125 mg ASPRIN...

This is taken 30 mins prior to hitting the gym...

Some people say to take it 2-3 times per day but i dont feel its safe or needed unless your a really fat... .if you just wanna lose the little belly and get cut up 1-2 times a day is max....

Since i take diet fuel ( ehpedra free ) in the am i only take 1 dose on my ON days.... working well over the last 3 weeks ... im down from 21% bf to 16%
... My goal is to get around 11% ...then ill start creatine( which i have never done ) and the bulkin phase.....

Good luck all
Old 09-03-2004, 11:58 AM   #103
328power
GAS GUZZLER !!

Quote:
Originally posted by punnzzells
Sorry, I do not agree with you on these topics... 2 reasons...

1. You can take a regiment of strictly carbs and loose just as much weight or more as someone on an all protein diet. It has been proven scientifically. It's a combination of two things... the individual and the chemmical reaction that each food group creates in your body.

2. Creatine is a VERY bad substance for your body. It does not allow your body to absorb any transfats and will actually sit in your liver for a long time, possibly causing major damage. You must drink a ton of water to flush it out... I do not recommend it to anyone.

In my opinion, it is about moderation and not being lazy. Fit exercise of any kind in your lifestyle and eat sensibly.

Mike.

Im sorry but your WRONG.... creatine is fine in moderation and DOES WORK .... i know from friends that have made huge gains .....

Soon as im done my cutting phase ill be hitting creatine ....

1st week LOAD ... 15-20 g's a day and for the next 5 weeks ill have a maintance of 5 g's a day... 6 weeks of fun : )

o and of course TONNNNNNS OF WATER !
Old 09-03-2004, 12:03 PM   #104
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally posted by 328power
Good Idea for a thread since im just starting back into hardcore training ...

RIght now im in my cutting phase ...

Im on the 3rd week...

Prior to my cutting phase i did 1 month of moderate lifting and hardly any cardio just to get my body prepared for the next couple months of hard training.. ( didnt lift at all for 2 months before that )

Well currently now im doing 5-6 days a week of 1-2 bodyparts + abs + 25-30 mins of cardio....

Im also currently on the ECA stack which i can tell you really works !!! right now im taking Diet fuel in the am to get my metabolism going along with high protein meals throughout the day and lots of grains !!( fiber is key )

5-6 meals with my last meal being a low carb protein shake around 10 PM.. and of course 4-5 litres of water a day ( pee like a madman )

As for the ECA stack .... The dosage im currently taking is

25 mg EPHEDRINE HCL , 200 mg caffeine , 125 mg ASPRIN...

This is taken 30 mins prior to hitting the gym...

Some people say to take it 2-3 times per day but i dont feel its safe or needed unless your a really fat... .if you just wanna lose the little belly and get cut up 1-2 times a day is max....

Since i take diet fuel ( ehpedra free ) in the am i only take 1 dose on my ON days.... working well over the last 3 weeks ... im down from 21% bf to 16%
... My goal is to get around 11% ...then ill start creatine( which i have never done ) and the bulkin phase.....

Good luck all
Nice.. very well done. Proper dosages of your ECA Stack as well. I sell both ephedrine and aspirin as discounted prices. (25mg tabs of ephedrine, 300 per bottle)... and the 125mg or extra strength 300mg (whichever you prefer) for $5. No hookups on caffeine pills as of yet.

Taking your stack 1, 2 or 3 times per day is totally up to you. People prefer 3 times per day because of the very short half-life of the products you're using. The primary thermogenic qualities you experience go away around 4-5 hours later, although you still may burn fat for up to 24 hours later... just not as much. You might want to consider 5 days a week @ 3x per day, 2 days rest or 1x per day... and no longer than a month. Experiment to find out what works best for you.

J

Good luck, stick to your plan!
Old 09-03-2004, 12:05 PM   #105
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally posted by 328power
Im sorry but your WRONG.... creatine is fine in moderation and DOES WORK .... i know from friends that have made huge gains .....

Soon as im done my cutting phase ill be hitting creatine ....

1st week LOAD ... 15-20 g's a day and for the next 5 weeks ill have a maintance of 5 g's a day... 6 weeks of fun : )

o and of course TONNNNNNS OF WATER !
similar to me.. I'm currently loading on 20g ED, I maintain at 5g twice a day though. The difference is very obvious when I flex, work out, etc. Strength gains are apparent the next day too.

Btw.. I also sell creatine @ discounted prices. (around 30% cheaper than GNC.)
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: