Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 12:46 PM   #61
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36

Quote:
Originally posted by Miguel
hey peeps, I just wanna throw my $0.02 in on this thread.

Justin helped me put on about 30lbs. this spring, of which I've kept about 15lbs.-20lbs.... and I know I could have done better if I had stuck to my workout routine a bit more strictly. He's a great guy and helped me out whenever I needed it.

Great guy, great products, even better prices and I can't say enough nice things.
Give him a chance, you wont regret it!
Thanks for the kind words Miguel. You guys should see Miguel's progress over those months. I designed his plan for him (including the supplements he used.. of course i hooked up the discounts.) and provided coaching / answered questions when he needed. We also worked out a couple times at my local gym and went over some of the workouts / form he will need to pack on the muscle.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:47 PM   #62
chitown
4th Gear Member

I just started work again, so I'm at my office from 8-5, get up at 6. Trying to figure out a good diet, I know to eat 6 small meals and snacks throughout the day, but I could use some help in this area.

Oh yeah, Justin, I never told you this or about my progress with those supplements I bought from you, but my retard dog was sniffing around in my room and "discovered it" which lead to someone else in my house to find it and throw it in the garbage because they thought it was steroids or something, lol
Old 09-02-2004, 12:48 PM   #63
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally posted by tlaselva
His name ain't BigD for nothin'.

If I'm not mistaken, even captured the Teen Weightlifting Crown recently.
Yeah Dmitry is a big guy... his forearms are the size of my thighs. I'd like to see him add some input on this thread too... (hint, hint)

Old 09-02-2004, 12:52 PM   #64
BimmiN
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to BimmiN
25, 5'10", 190

Seein as how I sit at a desk all day everyday, my arms were
getting pretty small, stomach getting big... and my legs were pretty small due to Knee surgery. When I would go snowboarding I would have to take breaks when coming down the mountain because my legs had become so weak.
So about 6 months ago i started going to the Gym. Within 6 weeks my snowboarding had improved hugely(Been snowboarding for 10 years, and was going to start competing the year I blew out my knee and had to have surgery).

So anyways, I am married which makes it hard to get to the gym even three days a week, but here is my schedule.

Mon: Chest & Arms
Wed: Legs
Fri: Shoulder & Back

I also try and do some cardio when I have time, but it doesnt always happen. I think that is what I have to work on the most to get rid of whats left of my stomach.

What are your thoughts on Nitric Oxide?
Old 09-02-2004, 01:01 PM   #65
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally posted by sirex
thanks for all the advice justin. reading everything you have wrote has given me some good insight on this stuff...

keep it up... damn this must be time consuming for ya though..

thanks alot..

peace out.
no prob... i'm focusing on bodybuilding right now, so this thread is here to help keep my mentality on working out, my diet, etc.

very time consuming.. the only time I come on maX is while at work... and I have work to do while I'm here. ... I've been replying in notepad so no one sees me on the net, then I copy + paste my responses. ... I feel bad delegating all my work onto other people while I reply to posts on maX.

oh well.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:12 PM   #66
app
5th Gear Member

What do you consider high reps?

Normally I just do 4-5 sets on every exercise. ie: Start with 10 lifts at 145 on bench, then 10 more at 185, then 10 more at 205, then as many as I can do at 225, then 2 at 245, then a final push at 265.

I think that basically combines them all doesn't it? High reps at a relatively high weight, then a really high weight with a low rep?
Old 09-02-2004, 01:18 PM   #67
E36COMPACT
2nd Gear Member

holy smokes Justin, I didn't realize how many pm's you were getting. I thought you forgot about my question a couple of days ago Anyways, what do you think about Anthony Eliss' mass gaining program? Like I said before, I know he won EAS' Body for life contest and I know he's close with Bill Phillips. Do you think his program is all hype or should I just do my own research and see what works for me. This question is for Justin or anyone who might have used or seen this program.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:49 PM   #68
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin e36
hey... yeah sorry I haven't replied to your PM yet. Everything you need to know has been posted already. The cigarettes will make it tough for you to do cardio or even bodybuild. Simply because the smoke (can't remember which element it is) binds to your hemoglobin on your red blood cells. (usually responsible for carrying fresh oxygen to your muscles and relieving them of lactic acid.) This is why ciagarettes make you so short of breath and makes your body tire out so quickly. Also the same reason why it leads to erectile dysfunction in some people.

What is your heart like? Good condition? I'm reluctant to advise any thermogenic drugs such as ephedrine or even caffeine at this point. How old are you? How long have you been smoking for?

I think its Carbon Monoxide. The iron in your hemogoblin would rather take in Carbon Monoxide then Oxygen. (or is it carbon dioxide) . And it actually stays in the blood for a long time because it adheres so well.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:32 PM   #69
UncleJ
Average Homeboy

Quote:
Originally posted by Justin e36

UncleJ -- Give it time, your stomach will take a while to stretch... but I'm glad you're doing this right. You're going to have no problem packing the muscle on. Good stuff... also good find on those vanilla things, how expensive?
I went out and bought a few more boxes. They are $4.99 and come with 36 pieces @ 59 calories a piece.

It's called 'Ptasie Mlecko' (Bird's Milk).

Vanilla flavoured Marshmellow covered in dessert chocolate.

Maxbimmer gangbang.. cmon peoples!!! throw some high fives, slap dinks together and take turns!!
Old 09-02-2004, 02:47 PM   #70
Slowered318
6th Gear Member

Justin.. later this fall you gotta hook me up with some of the stuff you gave Miguel.. that guy has grown!

I agree about the smoking.. you really start to feel it 2/3 of the way into a workout, even if you cut back to 4-7 a day you still feel it. And recovery time is much longer.. IMO
Old 09-02-2004, 03:30 PM   #71
chia
Keepin' It Fake.

I'm pretty damn scrawny, and i need to develop chest, arms and abs...

i have a set of barbells at home, but no bench.

is it unwise for me to just lift weights for my arms everyday? =/

and what are the best ways for me to develop abs, chest and arms with the barbells i have?
Old 09-02-2004, 03:41 PM   #72
jeremy
6th Gear Member

so, i should do the randy weight loss program and work out to build the upper body ? shouldn't i be eating more to bulk up ala marky mark
Old 09-02-2004, 04:37 PM   #73
crusher
OMGHI2U2

Thumbs up

Justin wow we're really lucky to have you here on max.

As for me I plan on loosing fat and taking off the beer belly this winter time. i'm 26 / 195LB / 5'9 / 28.8 BMI according to http://nhlbisupport.com/bmi/bmicalc.htm

Like Millad, i eat tons of rice since i'm filipino my family cooks rice left and right! they're not helpful too.

Right now im stuck at 195LB.. I also don't mind taking suppliments

Jeff

Sold/Traded-in
2006 M5
2003 M3
2003 Civic Si
2000 M Coupe
1999 M3
1999 323i
Old 09-02-2004, 05:52 PM   #74
BigD
the misanthropist

Ok here's my bit on all of this. There is way too much to put into words so I won't even try but I will give the general idea. First of all, if you're going to slack, or not work hard, then don't even bother.

Next, if you expect extraordinary results you will have to go do extraordinary things to get them. Sorry to burst the all-natural bubble, but unless you're like this powerlifter I know from the US, at 6'10 and 540 lbs, then hard work alone won't get you there. I'm not going to be specific but yeah you know what I mean.

I will leave the body composition stuff to Justin but I would like to add (or re-iterate, haven't read all his posts) that cardio and weights don't mix. They must be completely separate workouts. If you do cardio in the beginning of a weight training workout, then your weights will take a hit and hinder your progress because you will be out of gas before you strain the muscles and the nervous system as hard as you could have. If you do cardio at the end, well, if you CAN do cardio at the end, then you didn't work hard enough. So do it at a totally separate time (morning cardio/eve. weights generally works well). Also if you really want to get serious about eating right, attend the SWIS seminar (swis.ca). I'm sad to see that it's now a shadow of it's former self (it used to be 3 days packed with seminars by the best nutritionists, bodybuilders, powerlifters [a few years ago Kaz was there, and he rolled up a frying pan into a burrito with one hand], olympic coaches, shit you name it) but all the best nutritionists are still there so go and learn.

Now onto the getting stronger part. The first thing you have to learn is to not be afraid of weights and of failure. The only way to build absolute strength is to lift very heavy which means sometimes lifting too heavy.

If you've been doing sets of 10 up to now, don't rush into it. Work up in weight week after week, going down to sets of 6, 3 and finally doing maxes. Having never done maximal lifting for any appreciable amount of time, the structural proteins that holds the muscle together, will not be very strong and the risk of a muscle tear will be high.

Big does not necessarily mean strong. Yes, a sure way to increase strength is to increase the cross sectional area of a participating muscle belly (get bigger). But a better way is to optimize your CNS (central nervous system). A muscle contraction occurs by a group of neurons firing an electrical pulse to your muscle. These groups of neurons are called "motor units". Contrary to what most people think, a muscle fiber cannot contract partially. A given muscle fiber can only contract fully or not at all. The way your body achieves partial effort is to simply fire fewer motor units. The biggest difference between a seasoned strength athlete is the ability to fire more of these motor units at one time. There was a study done looking at the percentage of recruitment of motor units in powerlifters and average weight trainees during impulsive, maximum effort. (ie flex as hard as you can...NOW) The average person fires roughly 60%, a good powerlifter, over 80. Obviously the average guy will go up as he strains but point is that time has expired, those 60% are tired, and you are probably now stabled to the floor by the weight.

A major contributing issue is that for every signal the brain sends to contract a muscle, it sends a negative. It's a safety margin. Your muscle is strong enough to tear itself apart, we can't have that. If you've ever had a muscle cramp, you have an idea for what it would be like to live without these opposing signals - every forceful muscular contraction would feel that way. For instance, did you know that there is not a single bit of muscle or connective tissue between the two legs at the crotch? Then why can't an average male do the splits? You can put one leg at a time perpindicular to your body, why not both? The reason is safety. Your body has been living with it's legs together for 20 or whatever years and it sees this as the only safe condition (insert slut joke about women here). As you practice the splits, you are not stretching anything, you are convincing your body that this is ok, and to relax more and more. The same thing happens when you train heavy. You tell your body that it's ok to fire a little harder every time.

The only way to train this is with heavy weight and/or explosive movement. You also have to do overload partials. A given lift will be limited by the weakest muscle. If you take some 1" link chain, and put in a paperclip to hold it together, the whole chain is only as strong as that paperclip. If your chest is capable of moving 400 lbs but your triceps can only move 300, guess what your max bench will be? hint: NOT 400 Most guys are obsessed with having big titties but if you want to bench big, triceps cannot be neglected. And when I say triceps, I don't mean panzy rope pushdowns and kickbacks. I mean heavy rack lockouts, board presses, and elbow ripping extensions. Pushdowns have their place but must also be done heavy.

The final thing (which is really the first) is form. I can write a book on this (well all of the above, but moreso on form) so I won't bother getting into details. I will say that I can guarantee all of you that you have 0 idea what proper form is, and the difference is drammatic. Some people gain instantly on their lifts, others take a hit initially because they are too weak. Proper form requires flexibility and strength. Your upper back must be very thick and strong, and your stomach must be a box of muscle (no not pretty but that's what it takes). And believe it or not, you have to have strong legs. If you don't know how to use your legs on the benchpress, you are cheating yourself out of a LOT of poundage.

To give some idea of the style of training, here was my last week:
Monday:
4 board press - working up to 545x1
(to see what a board press is, go here:
http://www.opengraphics.com/~dvoronov/5board.asf)
Closegrip Incline - 315x10x3
Skull Crushers - 225x7x3
Pushdowns - alotX5x3

Tuesday:
Pulldowns - up to 310x10
Pullups for 6
Side raises - 60x10x3
Biceps - yeah they look nice

Thursday:
Squats - 500x5x3 no belt, 600x2 belt
calf raises - as much as would fitx10x3

Saturday:
Rack lockouts, worked up to 800x1
Seated military press, worked up to 365x2 (would have been 3 but almost passed out)
Elbows out extensions: 85's x10x3

Last edited by BigD; 09-02-2004 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:04 PM   #75
pip328
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to pip328
FYI, i skipped all the posts, www.discussfitness.com is a great place for info, im there a lot.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: