Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-28-2006, 08:16 PM   #46
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout_E36
whats the point of getting all that power in there when u cant put it to the ground, too much power + not enough weight = waste of time and money. My uncle did this exact swap... car ran great except for the fact that you couldnt depress the gas pedal more than 15% without seeing smoke in the rear view.
Ummm, Ariel Atom, 1000lbs and 300hp, runs close to an Enzo on the track. nuff said.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:08 AM   #47
jeffrie
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius_e30
Ummm, Ariel Atom, 1000lbs and 300hp, runs close to an Enzo on the track. nuff said.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2DGf...elated&search=
That's fu**ing retarded.
Was thinking more on this line being a petrol head in Euro talk.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/E...DA43AAE4C3.htm
Sure it'll still loose being dated.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 01:29 AM   #48
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2DGf...elated&search=
That's fu**ing retarded.
Was thinking more on this line being a petrol head in Euro talk.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/E...DA43AAE4C3.htm
Sure it'll still loose being dated.
That Ariel Atom you posted isn't the one I'm talking about, it's the same frame as the real one, but someone put in an electric motor in that one. The actual production Ariel Atom is powered by a supercharged 300hp Honda engine.
http://www.arielmotor.co.uk/
Here is the Top gear episode of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdkEV-t9jg0

Although, that electric one is damn sweet too.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:38 AM   #49
DriveItSideways
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromius_e30

whats your point? 300hp isnt crazy these days, most cars come off the lot with that kind of power now... yeah thats pretty much a go kart but still it was DESIGNED TO HANDLE THE POWER IT PUTS OUT.

Jeffrie, i dont understand your argument. Are you saying the viper or an expensive sports car is your best bet? or modding a car is better? You can take an $80,000 viper and go 13sec 1/4m or i can take an 89 supra and drop 15,000 into it an spank the shit out of the v10.. if you really think spending serious coin on a super car is gonna make u the fastest car around then u got another thing coming to you. P.S come by my shop an i'll take you out in my uncle's 400+hp rx7 test car, i'll show you how to drive a car.
DriveItSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:41 PM   #50
europrince
6th Gear Member

Soooo wrong dropping american into a great German automobile. I'd put in a stage 3 turbo for that money.
europrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:44 AM   #51
jeffrie
Addict

Quote:
Jeffrie, i dont understand your argument.
Doubt you ever will.
To each their own.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:31 AM   #52
Tunerworks
2nd Gear Member

It looks like I am way late to the party, but since I own an LS1-powered E36 I though it would be a good place to chime in

My car is featured in the Nov '06 issue of Performance BMW so if you want to see how clean these swaps can be check out the mag.

After browsing the three pages of posts in this thread I would say there is a lots of good info and plenty of people who still choose to ignore all the benefits the LSX engines bring to the table. However since I own one and get to drive it everyday I don't need to convince anyone how great it is Did I mention I removed an S50B32 (Aka Euro-spec 3.2L) to make room for the LS1?

Rob
rob@tunerworks.com
Tunerworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:46 AM   #53
Big T
94 318is

A lot of people are just badge whores. These are the same people that are like..OMGWTF there is a gm tranny in my 318
Old 11-17-2006, 07:58 AM   #54
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunerworks
It looks like I am way late to the party, but since I own an LS1-powered E36 I though it would be a good place to chime in

My car is featured in the Nov '06 issue of Performance BMW so if you want to see how clean these swaps can be check out the mag.

After browsing the three pages of posts in this thread I would say there is a lots of good info and plenty of people who still choose to ignore all the benefits the LSX engines bring to the table. However since I own one and get to drive it everyday I don't need to convince anyone how great it is Did I mention I removed an S50B32 (Aka Euro-spec 3.2L) to make room for the LS1?

Rob
I hear ya Rob. LS1 is the most cost effective reliable power you can drop into these vehicles. Turbocharge/Supercharging is so hit and miss with the high compression of the stock BMW engines, and they're not very tuner-friendly---not to mention expensive to repair if (and when) something breaks.

Did you end up converting the fuel economy gauge to a air/fuel ratio? Do all the on board electronics (i.e. OBC) still work as normal? How do you find the fuel economy? Post up some pics if you have a chance...

Justin
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:29 AM   #55
notjoe
600rwhp here i come

Send a message via ICQ to notjoe
What diff are you running?
notjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:32 PM   #56
Tunerworks
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjoe
What diff are you running?
Custom specs from Diffsonline.

Justin, I will answer your Qs in a bit.

Rob
rob@tunerworks.com
Old 11-17-2006, 12:52 PM   #57
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
whats your point? 300hp isnt crazy these days, most cars come off the lot with that kind of power now... yeah thats pretty much a go kart but still it was DESIGNED TO HANDLE THE POWER IT PUTS OUT.

Jeffrie, i dont understand your argument. Are you saying the viper or an expensive sports car is your best bet? or modding a car is better? You can take an $80,000 viper and go 13sec 1/4m or i can take an 89 supra and drop 15,000 into it an spank the shit out of the v10.. if you really think spending serious coin on a super car is gonna make u the fastest car around then u got another thing coming to you. P.S come by my shop an i'll take you out in my uncle's 400+hp rx7 test car, i'll show you how to drive a car.
why go viper .. why not buy a used Z06 or c5 vette for under $30,000 which is fast as it is stock.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:27 PM   #58
notjoe
600rwhp here i come

Send a message via ICQ to notjoe
Quote:
Custom specs from Diffsonline.

Justin, I will answer your Qs in a bit.

Rob

Are you still running the e36 diff housing though?
notjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:01 PM   #59
Tunerworks
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin e36
I
Did you end up converting the fuel economy gauge to a air/fuel ratio? Do all the on board electronics (i.e. OBC) still work as normal? How do you find the fuel economy? Post up some pics if you have a chance...

Justin
I have a '96> Euro cluster so the lower portion is an oil temp gauge.

All of the on-board electronics work just as they should. All the BMW body diagnostics are still done through the large plug on the passenger's shock tower and all the GM related info is through the OBDII port. Clean and simple

Rob
rob@tunerworks.com
Old 11-17-2006, 04:46 PM   #60
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
I have a '96> Euro cluster so the lower portion is an oil temp gauge.

All of the on-board electronics work just as they should. All the BMW body diagnostics are still done through the large plug on the passenger's shock tower and all the GM related info is through the OBDII port. Clean and simple

Rob
Well done Rob.. good stuff. Any type of reinforcement for the subframe to handle the power? How do the stock half-axles hold up?

Sounds like a very clean swap. You know there's someone on the forum who has a modded NA LS6 motor up for sale right? Confirmed almost 700rwhp ... up for a challenge?

Wish I was in Calgary, check this car out.. then offer my bank account to buy it.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: