Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-08-2015, 08:03 AM   #1
anth
2nd Gear Member

M54 Oil Pump Nut

Hey guys, I posted this in the track junkies sub but didn't get even one reply.
Figured I'd have better luck in here. ..

I just completed my first ADS weekend and had an absolute blast.
My car is a 330ci ZHP and it would see a bit over 6k rpm on the back straight at Mosport each lap (redlines at 6800 not 6500).

I've read about the oil pump nut stuff but a lot of those threads are ancient and none mentioned a conclusive/reasonable solution at the time. Just wanted to check with some of you guys to see if anyone has taken measures against this, what exactly you did/costs involved, and really how much of an issue you think this is.

FWIW, my car has 123k on it, is a 6/2005 build date and has no track time on it /very limited time north of 6k rpm aside from this weekend (and even this weekend was only a few seconds per lap. I also understand that the ZHP nut has loctite applied on it from the factory which *may* help somewhat.

Also - the car is stock aside from a CAI mainly for sound. Any ideas for good value-oriented upgrades? So far I'm just aiming for more seat time, upgraded pads/rotors when needed, same w/ tires and if I come across a good deal on lighter wheels and a front strut brace, then that sounds like a good idea to me too.

Thanks in advance!
anth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #2
CrowsFeast
Intermediate Tracker

Hey, I've also got a zhp which I like to do lapping days and autox with. I picked it up this spring so I've been doing my research but haven't actually done much to the car as yet so take my advice with a grain of salt. I'm bench-modding right now!

I found a thread on e46fanatics that was talking about the OPN issue and the consensus was that there really isn't a great option for it. Somebody made a 1 piece unit but it was something like $300-$500 and may or may not be available anymore. It was definitely an issue for full blown race cars, and my or may not be an issue for cars doing occasional track days. The factory harmonic balancer apparently slips and may contribute to the problem, so you may want to check that. People tried welding the OPN, but that just caused it to shear off completely so I don't think the loctite would do it (unless the welding introduced impurities/compromised the structure of the shaft if it's heat treated).

What I'm surprised by is that nobody suggested installing any kind of oil pressure sensor. I would have thought that if your OPN failed, and therefore your oil pump, you would lose pressure so you could see that and pull off immediately and be able to save the motor that way.

As for other mods to look at, I'd say you're on the right track with lightweight wheels. I dropped 5 lb per corner with my new wheels and it's made a big difference. If you're getting new wheels go with a square setup. I maintained my staggered setup and feel a fair bit of understeer still. The other thing that I want to pick up is camber plates to help counteract that.

Seat time and time with an instructor will of course make the biggest difference though! Enjoy the car and try not to worry too much.
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #3
Fta_Dave
2nd Gear Member

Safety wire is the best choice without the cost of an aftermarket unit, maybe a windage tray while you are in there.
Fta_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:22 PM   #4
anth
2nd Gear Member

Hey guys

I've heard of the shaft shearing off with both the weld and wire ideas. I think this might be because doing either one introduces an additional wobbling effect (from the weld weight or the decreased weight on part of the shaft where the hole is drilled for the wire) and when that tiny amount is magnified @ 6800rpm, it makes the breakage likely. Conceptually, the drilled hole would seem to have less of an impact, but I'm no P.Eng.

I think I'll just keep it under 6k for now...
anth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:32 PM   #5
Fta_Dave
2nd Gear Member

* Baffle.
Fta_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: