Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-23-2015, 10:23 AM   #1
MrMopar
1st Gear Newbie

2002 325Xi rear driveshaft help

hi guys,

I have a 2002 325IX 5spd w 297k kms that has picked up a vibration between 30-40km/hr when under load. It disappears completely above that speed. My shop said it is my rear driveshaft They quoted me $1500 for a new OEM one and $500 for a used one.

Where in Canada should I buy a new / reman unit ? I have built many cars and engines over the years, but no BMWs. Is this a backyard job ? Do I also order / replace the 'flex disc' or 'Guibo' as well ?

thanks in advance !
Trevor
MrMopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:20 PM   #2
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

You can definitely do better than $1500. Is the used a remanufactured, or just straight out of another car?

I'm sure there are some places in Canada that you could get a remanufactured driveshaft from, but unfortunately I don't know of any myself. Pelican Parts in California sells a remanufactured one for $520 USD + core. It might not be practical with shipping and duty to get it from them, but at least it's an idea of the price.

I can't speak for the E46 or the AWD, but on my RWD E30, the driveshaft was a simple job. While you're in there, definitely do the flexdisc and definitely consider the shifter bushings. I don't know if the exhaust is in the way, but if it is, you'll likely need to cut the fasteners and put in new ones. They tend to be seized.

Hopefully that gives you a little bit of an idea of where to start
cirrusblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 01:23 PM   #3
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

And I should ask... What's the mileage on the driveshaft? Is it actually bad?

My E30 had a broken down flex disk causing vibration, and another instance of vibration was caused by one transmission mount unbolting, letting the rear corner dangle. My u-joints were really really loose and yet it held up fine. AFAIK, the drivetrain of the E46 is virtually the same as the E30.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:26 AM   #4
jabela
6th Gear Member

I'm curious as to how they know the vibration is from the driveshaft. It could also be wheels, worn suspension/diff bushings, worn transmission or engine mounts.

A driveshaft vibration would most likely be RPM dependent, not vehicle speed. So you should feel at at the same RPM in each gear.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.maisonapothecare.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:04 AM   #5
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabela View Post
A driveshaft vibration would most likely be RPM dependent, not vehicle speed. So you should feel at at the same RPM in each gear.
That's completely false. Driveshaft is always turning with the wheels at a speed proportional to the wheels. A driveshaft vibration will be dependent on vehicle speed. You will feel the vibration at a particular road speed, and often multiples thereof.

There's already an abundance of false information on the internet. Please don't add to it.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:16 AM   #6
jabela
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrusblau View Post
That's completely false. Driveshaft is always turning with the wheels at a speed proportional to the wheels. A driveshaft vibration will be dependent on vehicle speed. You will feel the vibration at a particular road speed, and often multiples thereof.

There's already an abundance of false information on the internet. Please don't add to it.
lol.. oh shit.. you're right. Don't know what I was smoking last night. Obviously anything past the transmission is vehicle speed dependent. Sorry for that derp!

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.maisonapothecare.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 11:00 AM   #7
MrMopar
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks - the shaft is bad - play everywhere , centre bearing, u joints. The shaft has 290k kms on it. I will keep shopping for a reman unit I guess.

Thanks
Trevor
MrMopar is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: