Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
kenc
1st Gear Newbie

Rust bubbles -- where to fix in GTA?

Does anyone here with a E46 coupe have the issue of rust bubbles developing on that "middle panel" (metal) circled in the attached photo? Mine is a '04 and I noticed bubbles forming starting about 2 years ago. My car was never driven in the winter (i.e. no road salt exposure) since that time. The paint is still intact but it looks like the the bubble area has grown a bit (from 0.25 inch to about 0.5 inch wide) over the last 2 years. Since I plan to keep this car for many more years to come, I'm thinking the sooner I get it fixed, the better.

I also noticed a few tiny bubbles under the door sill plates. I always wipe everything dry after a car wash, but it looks like water always gets trapped under that plastic sill plate.

Can anyone recommend a good body shop in GTA (preferably Markham/Richmond Hill) to have this fixed properly? I know some will say rust will come back, but because this car will be a summer car, I think it should be fine.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg e46_side.jpg (64.1 KB, 500 views)
kenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
Mdrie
2nd Gear Member

BMW has a 12 year rust perforation warranty. You're within the 12 years. Take it to the dealer and report the rust.
Mdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
Robb
EX E30 M3 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdrie View Post
BMW has a 12 year rust perforation warranty.
If a rock hits the paint and chips it, it wont be covered.
Same with if someone keys the paint.
They can tell right away.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:22 PM   #4
kenc
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks guys. I will take it to the dealer then. Those areas were not hit by stones or chipped in the first place. I thought the 12 year perforation warranty is for ... well... perforation.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
drivetolive
3rd Gear Member

I have the exact same issue in the exact same spot (also a 2004 E46) to what you are describing, kenc. Let me know how your conversation with BMW goes.

I wasn't aware the E46 was eligible for the 12 year warranty. I'll be taking my car to Maranello BMW sometime soon and I'll post back with the results.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:40 PM   #6
kenc
1st Gear Newbie

I will be taking my car to the dealership next week. Will keep you posted.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:19 AM   #7
/Alessandro\
Hellrotted

If my car is a 2003 e46 is it covered under the rust warranty if there's a small area where the paint is bubbling?
Old 10-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #8
MPackage
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdrie View Post
BMW has a 12 year rust perforation warranty. You're within the 12 years. Take it to the dealer and report the rust.
Are you serious I didn't even know that....This is good to know.
MPackage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:08 AM   #9
MPackage
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivetolive View Post
I have the exact same issue in the exact same spot (also a 2004 E46) to what you are describing, kenc. Let me know how your conversation with BMW goes.

I wasn't aware the E46 was eligible for the 12 year warranty. I'll be taking my car to Maranello BMW sometime soon and I'll post back with the results.

Let me know what Maranello BMW says if they will fix the rust under warranty then thats a sweet deal. I shall wait until you post back....
MPackage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 12:10 PM   #10
dbworld4k

A friend had a rust spot in the exact same area and had it taken care of by Maranello BMW. Take it to them and see what they say.

dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:19 AM   #11
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

I don't think a rust bubble qualifies under "perforation".
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #12
azn_oo1
2nd Gear Member

i had a rust bubble taken care of by dealership. (my car was 2011 model thou)
azn_oo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 09:27 AM   #13
moody
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenc View Post
I will be taking my car to the dealership next week. Will keep you posted.

Any update about the dealership?

I got a similar car as yours 05 330ci (which i purchased from Montreal last year) with rust forming on both rear fenders also at a spot near trunk and went to Marenello yesterday. The service personnel asked me for ruat inspection papers and stuff which i disnt have and gave me the excuse of the purchase place being Qc and told me to go back to Montreal to get it fixed. Then i called BMW Canada and they told me the warranty is not by province but nationwide and by vehicle year and also since the dealers are privately owned, they apparently have the right to refuse providing service. Anyway i went to a different dealer and they were more then happy to help open a claim with BMW Canada and told me to go to an accredited body shop to get an estimate. Even though the claim doesn't get approved by BMW Canada their approach was way better and friendlier.

*Just an FYI im not complaining or anything but simply sharing my experience thats all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 06:51 PM   #14
ydoit
1st Gear Newbie

2002 BMW E46- 330i

I have a 4 door and I had the same problem as well as rust behind the wheelwell. I was not too happy since the car is not winter driven and only has 124,000 km on it. I wax it religiously 8-10 times a year with American Liquid Glass.
Anyway, 2 years ago I ended it up taking to European Auto Body which is partly owned by Maranello. I have to say they did a great job!
For some reason, the right rear wheel well started to rust again this past summer, I took it back, paid a nominal amount because they don't cover rust and it looks like new again.
If you care about your car, I would take it to them, speak to Manny and tell him YDOIT sent you.
BTW- I don't work for them, I do however baby my car and am very anal about who does work on it.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenc View Post
Does anyone here with a E46 coupe have the issue of rust bubbles developing on that "middle panel" (metal) circled in the attached photo? Mine is a '04 and I noticed bubbles forming starting about 2 years ago. My car was never driven in the winter (i.e. no road salt exposure) since that time. The paint is still intact but it looks like the the bubble area has grown a bit (from 0.25 inch to about 0.5 inch wide) over the last 2 years. Since I plan to keep this car for many more years to come, I'm thinking the sooner I get it fixed, the better.

I also noticed a few tiny bubbles under the door sill plates. I always wipe everything dry after a car wash, but it looks like water always gets trapped under that plastic sill plate.

Can anyone recommend a good body shop in GTA (preferably Markham/Richmond Hill) to have this fixed properly? I know some will say rust will come back, but because this car will be a summer car, I think it should be fine.

Thanks!
ydoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 11:20 PM   #15
estoguy
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azn_oo1 View Post
i had a rust bubble taken care of by dealership. (my car was 2011 model thou)
Rust bubbles after three years? Wow... Even BMW must be cheaping out on its steel. Probably crappy Chinese steel.

Need a photographer, come visit my site: http://estoguy.wix.com/unique-perspectives

"The future is uncertain and the end is always near."
estoguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: