Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-15-2015, 05:11 PM   #1
Cezary
1st Gear Newbie

E46 brake lights staying on

Hey guys. I'm having an odd issue with my car and i wanted to see if anybody on here could give me some kind of input. The car is a 2001 325Ci 5 speed with a few Dinan upgrades.
For a while now I've been having an intermittent problem that results in my brake lights staying on when i'm not using the brakes. This happens whether the lights are switched on or off, sometimes the problem lasts a moment after i let go of my brakes, other times they stay on until the car is turned off. When the car is restarted the lights will operate normally until the brake is pressed then they will get stuck again. I occasionally get a check engine light and when I check it with my peake scanner i get a code for "pedal position sensor 2" I am assuming this is a code for the brake pedal switch (mounted behind the pedal). This problem is intermittent like i said, some days the lights operate as they should, but the issue comes back eventually.

I had my car in the shop (a sponsor here) last week and i told them about this issue. They tested the switch and told me it was fine (as tends to be the case with intermittent problems). But I've been doing some searching online and most sources point to the brake light switch. If not this then it could be a wiring issue and that would be much worse to fix. I called BMW Mississauga and they have the switch for 70 bucks or something so I'll grab that and try to do it myself. I found this DIY
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...eplacement.htm
I just wanted to check if anyone on here has had any experience with this issue, or with changing the switch in general. If you have any input that might help me I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance
Cezary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:03 PM   #2
jabela
6th Gear Member

Check the bracket for your brake light. It may have been bent a little bit. You could try bending it closer to the pedal. When I changed my clutch pedal I accidentally bent that bracket and had the same issue.

Your pedal might also not be returning completely. Check the return spring and maybe lube your pedal hinge.

http://realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpart...diagId=35_0186

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.maisonapothecare.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:39 AM   #3
Cezary
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for the advice jabela, I checked the bracket but everything looks nice and straight and my pedal is returning smoothly with no issues. So to update i finally got around to changing it this morning. So far so good, we'll see if the issue comes back, if it does i'll be seriously annoyed lol.

Quick note for anyone else who might be doing this job for the first time. The switch is actually 2 pieces, there is a housing and an insert which is removable. When attempting to remove the switch from its support bracket or install it again, remove the insert part of the switch from the housing FIRST. Doing so will make it much easier to press in the release tabs. This wasn't mentioned in the DIY which i posted, and i had a hell of a time before figuring it out (maybe common sense to some)
Cezary is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: