Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-10-2005, 01:12 PM   #16
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

At Darknights, they had some freshly imported Skylines that I got to sit in. I also talked to the guy who imports them(I don't remember his name). Pretty cool cars, but the Right hand drive turns me OFF>

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec-ST Tuning Kit- Lowered-Wokke Chips- Custom Exhaust- 18" MK1's-KN Filters+ M Steering Wheel- Stereo Upgrade +++
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:24 PM   #17
Lith
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lith Send a message via AIM to Lith Send a message via MSN to Lith Send a message via Yahoo to Lith
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover
At Darknights, they had some freshly imported Skylines that I got to sit in. I also talked to the guy who imports them(I don't remember his name). Pretty cool cars, but the Right hand drive turns me OFF>
actually, it's quite possible to make them into LHD cars if you really wanted. Couple of years ago, I read an article about a guy who converted his R34 Skyline into LHD. The cost was very high. The biggest problem is the steering column which hits the downpipes of the turbos once it's on the left hand side of the car. So some customizations had to be done to fix all those problems..

nonetheless, it's quite possible to do, if you have to money
Old 08-10-2005, 07:26 PM   #18
Autotechnica
Little Chino

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
I only had a short time to drive that car, but RHD is VERY easy to get use to. It almost feels natural once you get the gear changes figured out.

Bry
Old 08-10-2005, 10:21 PM   #19
erikIS
bigcock

Did you remap the ECU or configure it? Considering these cars run on 100 Octane.

I met a guy named Aleksh from Skye Servces, they import Skylines and he had a nice Veilside GT-R... but the car would run funny before 3000RPMS because of the low Octane.
erikIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 11:23 AM   #20
Lith
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Lith Send a message via AIM to Lith Send a message via MSN to Lith Send a message via Yahoo to Lith
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikIS
Did you remap the ECU or configure it? Considering these cars run on 100 Octane.

I met a guy named Aleksh from Skye Servces, they import Skylines and he had a nice Veilside GT-R... but the car would run funny before 3000RPMS because of the low Octane.
The Stock ECU isn't configured to run on 100 octane gas.. unless they got an aftermarket ECU in his car.

Another thing is, 100 octane gas in japan (and europe) is really the RON rating of gas. Here in NA we have a different system for octane measurements, so it turns out to be lower. Here's a Wikipedia link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Quote:
The most common type of octane rating worldwide is the Research Octane Number (RON). RON is determined by running the fuel through a specific test engine with a variable compression ratio under controlled conditions, and comparing these results with those for mixtures of isooctane and n-heptane.

There is another type of octane rating, called Motor Octane Number (MON), which is a better measure of how the fuel behaves when under load. MON testing uses a similar test engine to that used in RON testing, but with a preheated fuel mixture, a higher engine speed, and variable ignition timing to further stress the fuel's knock resistance. Depending on the composition of the fuel, the MON of a modern gasoline will be about 8 to 10 points lower than the RON. Normally fuel specifications require both a minimum RON and a minimum MON.

In most countries (including all of Europe and Australia) the "headline" octane that would be shown on the pump is the RON, but in the United States and some other countries the headline number is the average of the RON and the MON, sometimes called the Anti-Knock Index (AKI), Road Octane Number (RdON), Pump Octane Number (PON), or (R+M)/2. Because of the 10 point difference noted above, this means that the octane in the United States will be about 4 to 5 points lower than the same fuel elsewhere: 87 octane fuel, the "normal" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91 in Europe.
In other words, just pump 91 octane gas at the gas station into that car and it'll be perfectly fine. (Assuming it's the stock ECU with stock configuration that is)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: