Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-04-2016, 12:37 PM   #1
Meth09
2nd Gear Member

Rear wheel bearing replacement

I am in need of replacing a rear left wheel bearing on my 1990 E30 325i

I looked online and found a bunch of DIY instructions. It looks fairly straightforward, except the stage of removing the old bearing and reinserting the new. Anyone in downtown TO area have a tool that I could borrow or rent?

Alternatively, would be interested if someone with experience in doing this job be willing to do the job affordably. Ideally in the downtown Toronto area.

I have all the parts needed to do the job;
- Bearing
- Collar nut
- Securing plate
- Circlip ring

I look forward to some feedback
Filip
Meth09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Installation is easy. Removal can be a bear. I used the Partsource FWD bearing puller and a homebrew pipe/washer setup to thread the puller rod through the hub while resting on the backing plate. Take your time, and don't get frustrated when it doesn't work.
TSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:09 PM   #3
Ryan1212
Some sort of something...

I bought a 20T shop press from princess auto to do mine, but I also had the entire subframe out when I did it, so removing the arm was easy. Installation with the press is also very easy. This was all after I bent a big fixture I welded up since mine were so seized up. Ended up using a 5lb mini sledge, standing on the arm and beating the bearing with a piece of steel that i bolted to the bearing. Needless to say removal is a PITA.
Ryan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:38 PM   #4
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

An good airhammer with a flat head can push that sucker out in no time. Just have to be careful not to hit the housing as long as you push the bearing itself it comes out like cake assuming it isn't seized in there by rust.

First one took me 4 hours until I figured it out, then when the other side went I finished it in an hour. (during my lunch break while I working at a shop)
T.Dot_E30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #5
Meth09
2nd Gear Member

Hi, thanks all for your comments. I will give it a try. Though my car has always been well maintained and garaged indoors, a seized outer race to the hub is what I fear the most ;

https://youtu.be/Y8KLMWKYnAQ

I'm still trying to find some remedies if that that was to happen. If anyone has some experience with this obstacle, please do share on how you removed it
Meth09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:09 PM   #6
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

The axles actually have a countersunk indent so a point attachment for an air hammer fits right in perfectly.
Yamahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:11 PM   #7
noid
5th Gear Member

I have the SIR B90 BMW wheel bearing tool for rent.

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167908

This with 2 jaw puller and axle puller (also for rent), makes this job easy as pie (IMO).
noid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:42 AM   #8
davvik
1st Gear Newbie

I have a tool similar to noid's. ATD Tools 8625 Front Wheel Drive Bearing Adapter kit.

I'm going to be out of town for 10 days but if you're still stuck with it when I'm back, I don't mind bringing the tool by and lending a hand to a fellow E30 owner. It's a simple job with the right tools.

As for that inner race being stuck in the trailing arm video... I've done 4 rear E30 bearings and that's how they've all come apart. That's really common. I've found though, that the hardest part is removing the inner race from the old hub if you are re-using it. You need a good chisel. The best advice I was given on removing that inner race is "Use a cold chisel and hit it like it owes you money"
davvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:13 AM   #9
noid
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davvik View Post
I have a tool similar to noid's. ATD Tools 8625 Front Wheel Drive Bearing Adapter kit.

I'm going to be out of town for 10 days but if you're still stuck with it when I'm back, I don't mind bringing the tool by and lending a hand to a fellow E30 owner. It's a simple job with the right tools.

As for that inner race being stuck in the trailing arm video... I've done 4 rear E30 bearings and that's how they've all come apart. That's really common. I've found though, that the hardest part is removing the inner race from the old hub if you are re-using it. You need a good chisel. The best advice I was given on removing that inner race is "Use a cold chisel and hit it like it owes you money"
Dremel to cut in a guide, vice and an air hammer (with chisel attachment) makes getting the inner race off pretty easy.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:43 PM   #10
davvik
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid View Post
Dremel to cut in a guide, vice and an air hammer (with chisel attachment) makes getting the inner race off pretty easy.
Yeah, I unfortunately didn't have a grinder or a dremmel at the ready. I feel as though it would take a long time to grind it down enough to make a difference. Maybe I'm wrong though, I've never tried it. The chisel method works quickly, it just takes a lot of confidence with a good ball peen.

I forgot to mention, if you use the chisel method, make sure to drive it off evenly. Once it moves hit it on the opposite side and then keep alternating sides.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:16 PM   #11
noid
5th Gear Member

Dremel with a cutoff wheel can cut through the inner race in about 10 seconds flat. Problem is, it is hard to not nick the hub surface if you go to far. Thats why you cut a groove most of the way and use the chisel to just crack it the rest of the way.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:28 PM   #12
davvik
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by noid View Post
Dremel with a cutoff wheel can cut through the inner race in about 10 seconds flat. Problem is, it is hard to not nick the hub surface if you go to far. Thats why you cut a groove most of the way and use the chisel to just crack it the rest of the way.
What kind of dremmel do you have?!?! And what bits are you using?! Mine is nowhere near that good but its just mastercrap maximum. Do you have a real dremmel brand dremmel?
Old 02-16-2016, 10:48 PM   #13
noid
5th Gear Member

I have this exact one:

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B005JRJE56/r...332290_TE_dp_1

Used the provided "Dremel reinforced" cutoff wheels to cut through a few inner races.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:39 PM   #14
Hurricane240
2nd Gear Member

+1 to the groove the race and whack it with a chisel like it owes you money. Works like a charm every time.
Hurricane240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:36 PM   #15
Trekz
4th Gear Member

Even if you nick the hub not a big deal just smoothen it out with some sand paper after

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Trekz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: