Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-13-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

Highlinder = BS

While my navigator was in the body shop I got a 09 Highlinder (friend has a rental agency so why not help him make some $$ since the insurance is paying), it's a terrible SUV!

Supposedly 4WD yet today I got stuck in 5-6" of mud, one front wheel only, yet the other 3 wheels were spinning like they were on ice! Last winter my navigator went off road and was stuck at 45-50 degree angle and got out fine. When I got home today I actually took CLS to the SAME SPOT where highlander got stuck and it was fine, VERY dirty but fine.

Gotta love biog SUVs in these situations
Old 08-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

Comparing apples to oranges here...
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:20 PM   #3
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep 3.2TL View Post
Comparing apples to oranges here...
It's still a 4 wheel drive SUV, if a car can get out then it should be able to do the same..
Old 08-13-2009, 10:23 PM   #4
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

not quite... height, power, torque, tires (plus all the things that go along with that)

not even close to an equal comparison.
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
Understated
7th Gear [SMG III] Member

the highlander/RX lexus are quite possibly the worst vehicles to take offroad...I'm pretty sure a quattro a4 would do better than either crossover toyota product off road . Deep is right about the variables though.
Understated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

Sure CLS has more power/toys but people who buy Highlinder would probably think it wouldn't get stuck in a situation like this.

I wouldn't compare navigator to higlinder but CLS is a car, lower, performance tires etc. and this highlinder had A/T tires, it's an SUV, higher..
Old 08-13-2009, 11:25 PM   #7
davericher20
black and blue

that really sux because I love the look of the new highLANDer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:49 PM   #8
Redster
Stuck In The 6th Gear

My bad, highlander..
Old 08-14-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
someguy
Singhy

i have to agree....most SUV/Crossovers are not made for actual off-road use these days. It wouldn't be fair to compare them.
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:20 AM   #10
E36er
West Coast Contact!

the highlander is NOT made for off road. My mom bought one last summer, and i drove it during the winter while my parents were in New Zealand. i have a lifted 06, F150 with huge tires (snow/ice) and i still drove the highlander instead.

maybe it was the driver?
Old 08-23-2009, 12:37 AM   #11
spoony_prelude
Eurowerke

my audi 90 quattro outdrives my dads 01 forester in crazy snowy conditions. Cars like the highlander arent made to be offroad vehicles, they come with 4wd simply to help you in bad weather conditions, or light offroading (i.e. driving through a camp site) not so much into muddy area's, although I find that stupid because hey if I was buying an suv, damn right I want the mofo to go where ever i take it!!!

Jay

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: