Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-22-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
dbworld4k

10km/h over Speeding Ticket - Consequences?

So my moronic brother decided to speed on Rutherford/HWY 27 - which everyone and their deranged grandmothers even know is a major speedtrap zone... He was doing 30 over, cop reduced it to a 10 over. I know you don't lose any pts for 10 over; there's no mention of that on the ticket. It's only a $40 fine but we're more concerned about it going on record and affecting the insurance premiums upon next renewal.

Does anyone know for a fact how this will work?

Thanks!

dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
Dado 540
6th Gear Member

Was this on Vaughan Mills Rd, East of 27 on Rutherford? Thats their favourite spot! Lots of people gun it down the hill comming from the west and then you hit the hill not realizing the speed limit changed to 50 and BOOM.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
dbworld4k

That is also a PRIME spot, but this was on the other side, towards the train tracks where it's a 60 and then becomes 80. Most people just cruise up to 80 or so and chill and that's when the cops get ya.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
BigD
the misanthropist

It'll be 110 bucks and no points. The ticket has an R code on it and the true speed will be in the cops notes. If he fights it, this will be brought up. I'm pretty sure they can't increase the charge but they can charge him court costs for being a douche, make sure he knows that.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:50 PM   #5
dbworld4k

That's the thing - there's no R code on the ticket itself but as you said, the cop obviously will have that on his notes. The set fine including misc. fees is $40. I'm just wondering if it's possible to go to one of those traffic lawyers and have it thrown out, or just pay the damn thing off.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #6
BigD
the misanthropist

Really it's only 40 bucks? Sorry I always thought the 15 under were 110 like stop signs etc.

It's always possible but the cops always come now so they have to use trickery. Most of the successful approaches I've heard of involve requesting full disclosure by mail-only, too close to the trial date for it to arrive on time, and the case getting thrown out for that. I'd personally be happy that it's only 40 bucks.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:55 PM   #7
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

I got a 15 over ticket last year and it was a $50 fine, no points. Your premium increase depends what insurance company you're with and how their system is set up. I recently got a quote from Belair and forgot to tell them about my 15 over ticket. When I called back and told them about it my annual premium only increased by ~$60 ($5/month) which is pretty good in my opinion becuase I'm still under 25.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
Jim .E.
E90 n00b

I've had two 15km/h over tickets (one 42km/h over and one 35km/h over - both were reduced by cop, then by prosecutor) before this years policy renewal. 0 points and $50/each, paid em and insurance rate didn't change.
Jim .E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
R_JAY
Has the world for ransom

If it's his first ticket I say pay it, give him a thorough spanking and keep silent to insurance.
R_JAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: