Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 7 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-25-2016, 08:52 PM   #1
drhardeepasi
1st Gear Newbie

2013 760 Li Warranty worth it?

Hi everyone,

So I just bought a CPO 2013 760Li with about 50,000km full loaded in azurite black metallic w/ platinum full merino leather interior. It came with 6 yr 160k km warranty and the car has been on the road three years (so effectively a 3 yr warranty for me). I can add an additional year of warranty to the car so it would be 7r 160k (or an extra 4 yrs in my case) for 2250.

Is this worth it? Seemed a lot for an extra yr, but then again I hear you don't want to own these cars out of warranty. I do plan on keeping it for a while - I don't get the car until Friday but can't stop thinking about it. LOL.

Thanks.
drhardeepasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:23 PM   #2
The-Traveler
3rd Gear Member

I was looking to purchase the older 750i (2003 - 2008) as a winter car but went with a 330i 6MT instead, because my friend (Master Mechanic at BMW,) said that the 750 was the most unreliable car BMW ever produced.

Now I understand that you have the newer gen but hear me out.

On the older 7 apparently every single one has a transmission issue that costs a few grand to fix. Every single one experiences the amplifier circuit board dying randomly. Every single one develops awful valve stem seal issues, to a point where the car bellows smoke at idle. $3000+ to fix, 30+ hours of labor. I do exaggerate a bit but these are 9/10 scale issues.

I actually test drove one and it was smoking a crazy amount.

From what I gather the oil burning issues are still a problem even on your generation, and it all stems (no pun intended,) from long oil change cycles. Most 7 series owners are not enthusiasts and they go by the 25K intervals, instead of the 8-12 that it should be.

I have a 2011 M3 with 52,000KM. The warranty ran out due to time so I purchased a third party one (1st Canadian) when the car had 14,000km and was already 3.5 years old. The warranty was 120K+ or 4 years for $3500 and if I didn't use then I would get $2000 back after 4 years. Also it comes with roadside assistance.

My DCT transmission had a leak 2 weeks ago, which cost $2950 after tax and the warranty covered everything, including a rental for 7 days. I didn't even have to call them, the service rep at BMW took care of everything. Total cost $200 + HST (deductible.)

I have a friend with your newer 750I and the week his regular warranty expired, his car needed several thousand in engine work. Sorry I don't recall the details. He wrote a letter to BMW and they agreed to fix it, but it was very spontaneous and very expensive. If you're an enthusiast you can get things done much cheaper than dealer, for example my transmission leak could have been fixed for a third of the price but it would have been a bigger headache for me.

Because it's a 750 I would purchase the warranty, if it was a 328I then I wouldn't bother. Remember, the 7 series represents the latest tech at any moment and that means the least tested. On the previous gen that transmission was the world's first 6 speed automatic. That's why it broke so often. Because it's the flagship, the parts are the most expensive.

$2250 is a lot though. You might want to consider looking up 1st Canadian warranty and calling them. Perhaps you can but better coverage 3 years from now when you're coming off of CPO and for less money. My plan was the second highest tier, platinum I think, not complete.

The nice thing about 1st Canadian is that it gives me a list of what isn't covered and then everything else is implicitly. I have heard of horror stories with warranties that don't cover anything when you actually need them because they give you a list of what is covered, and most people don't know what should be on that list but isn't, at the time of purchase.

Before buying my M3 I would have never opted for an extended warranty. I've done my own car work for ages, but a new engine for that car is $25,000 just in parts. I am quite sure the 750 is up there also.
The-Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:54 PM   #3
drhardeepasi
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for the awesome reply. I called first canadian - I have to go through a dealer so I called a chrylser dealership in my area, the rep said the BMW dealers didn't offer it. I'm also inquiring with the dealer about the aftermarket warranty they offer. Thanks.
drhardeepasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:56 AM   #4
Mikey83
3rd Gear Member

I owned the 2003 E66 but as any 7 owner would say to have warranty with these line of cars.

Problems I had , waterpump , Logic 7 Amp , I unloaded it around the 200K km mark and got the more reliable 3.5 V6 engine in my 2011 X5.

2003 745Li Titanium Sliver Metallic w/ Black Interior
21" OEM Style 128, Angel iBright V3 w/ Matching Fogs, H&R Springs, BTUM8000, LED Side/Front Markers, White Bulb Interior/License Plate,
Stealth Bulb Signals, 15mm Rear Spacers, ACS Style Roof and Trunk Spoilers, Debadged
Mikey83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:01 PM   #5
dbworld4k

2013 760 Li Warranty worth it?

There's no V6 in any X5, and no 3.5L either. It's a 3.0 single turbo...

dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:27 AM   #6
Mikey83
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
There's no V6 in any X5, and no 3.5L either. It's a 3.0 single turbo...
correct , straight 6 3.0 turbo (3.5)

i'd stay away from bmw v8's in general

2003 745Li Titanium Sliver Metallic w/ Black Interior
21" OEM Style 128, Angel iBright V3 w/ Matching Fogs, H&R Springs, BTUM8000, LED Side/Front Markers, White Bulb Interior/License Plate,
Stealth Bulb Signals, 15mm Rear Spacers, ACS Style Roof and Trunk Spoilers, Debadged
Mikey83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
7 series, 760, f02

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: