Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-05-2018, 06:24 PM   #1
bertabeemer
ShiftingGearsPass?nQueers

Red face New to the Euro

Hey guys, just bought my first E46 and absolutely in love with it. Looking for tips and tricks I can use. Not really sure yet what direction I?m going to take the car (if any). I see some guys with 450whp but I?m not sure if that?s what I?m going for yet. I?m still a baby to this. But I do love the power and that smooth clutch. Let?s just see how it goes for now!
bertabeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:03 AM   #2
jabela
6th Gear Member

Welcome! What are your plans for the car? Street or track? You can't add much power to E46's without spending too much money. Better off getting an E90 turbo 6 cyl if you need more power.
That said I do enjoy being able to floor my paltry 187hp without doubling the speed limit.
One thing I'll say about the E46 is that your CCV will fail in the winter. To prevent it, I open my oil filler cap every day when I come home to let hte oily goo evaporate.
If you don't it will freeze in your CCV and cause vacuum leaks.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.maisonapothecare.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #3
bertabeemer
ShiftingGearsPass?nQueers

I don?t live near many tracks so I will be going street more than anything. I feel like this car can get me in enough trouble as is so I?ll just stick the the E46!

What?s that deal with this CCV and the vaccum leaks? I can start opening the cap but I have to say the car is very mint so I don?t expect many issues. I have 03 325ci with 130xxxkms. But any tips will help!
bertabeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:23 PM   #4
jabela
6th Gear Member

Well the lower intake boot will crack and cause a vacuum leak. That's caused by age, but I wrapped mine with foil tape and it hasn't failed in the last 8 years.

The CCV is just a bad design, it doesn't get hot enough in the winter and the oily goo freezes in it and causes problems.
There's really no fix for it other than running a catch can, but then you have to empty that can.

Check under your cap and see if you have any goo. If you don't you're probably in good shape, but CCV failures seem to affect everyone in cold weather.
I replaced 2 in 2 years before I started opening my cap

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.maisonapothecare.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
intro

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: