Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-12-2006, 11:14 AM   #16
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

The same thing happens at older ages as well. When I was 25 and looking for a new car (e46 325i, A4 1.8T, Lexus IS300, Benz C240, Acura TL, Subru WRX) I had mixed responses for different salesmen/dealerships.

Audi: They wanted to show me a Jetta or Golf. I came in to consider an Audi A4, not a Jetta. I walked away and would never consider them again.

Mercedes: Overall helpful. It took a while to get a sales guy to start showing me a car, but after that, he spent a lot of time with me.

BMW: They spent the most amount of time with me. Took me out in a 330i, 325i, and a 325ci. It varies too between different dealerships (some were more receptive than others). This was also my second BMW, so it was a big factor.

Lexus: No problems. All dealerships were very helpful.

Acura: No issues.

Subaru:: They wanted me to buy the WRX, and test drive it when it comes in. After the test drive, I could decide if I wanted to keep it. No way! I didn't even consider it after that and walked away.

I bought an e46.

If age, affordability, or seriousness, the salesmen could ask for a $100 deposit (completely refundable if you didn’t like it) before a test drive. This would cut out the joy riders. I know of one car dealership owner who put his 1 year old Z06 on the lot. There was a $1000 deposit needed before a test drive. They used to get tons of 16 year old kids coming in to drive the car for fun.
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 11:46 AM   #17
cisco911
6th Gear Member

Dealers do have to be careful, but in my opinion, age doesn't matter with regards to buying a car. I worked as a car jockey for an car dealership when I was younger and the old guys were the ones that pulled all the stunts. They would do sh*t like peel out, dropping the clutch at the redline. One of my friends had a benz C36 and was trying to sell it private(he's in his early 20s) and this guy came to see it(he was like 40 something) and take it for a test drive. They went for a drive and the guy started doing neutral drops and downshifting using the auto tranny, bringing the engine to redline. My friend was like...WTF!!! When they stopped, the CEL was on. A whole bunch of stuff had to be fixed after that. Then there was the guy that come into a dealership to testdrive a porsche C4 and didn;t know how to drive stick. He stalled like 10 times before the sales guy told him to get out of the car! Thats why my policy if I'm selling a nice car...no test pilots!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2006, 11:55 AM   #18
rodo
6th Gear Member

also depends TONS on where you live

2010 Expedition

Objects in mirror are farther than they appear Only in a BMW

rodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:32 PM   #19
HIM
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to HIM Send a message via MSN to HIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco911
Dealers do have to be careful, but in my opinion, age doesn't matter with regards to buying a car. I worked as a car jockey for an car dealership when I was younger and the old guys were the ones that pulled all the stunts. They would do sh*t like peel out, dropping the clutch at the redline. One of my friends had a benz C36 and was trying to sell it private(he's in his early 20s) and this guy came to see it(he was like 40 something) and take it for a test drive. They went for a drive and the guy started doing neutral drops and downshifting using the auto tranny, bringing the engine to redline. My friend was like...WTF!!! When they stopped, the CEL was on. A whole bunch of stuff had to be fixed after that. Then there was the guy that come into a dealership to testdrive a porsche C4 and didn;t know how to drive stick. He stalled like 10 times before the sales guy told him to get out of the car! Thats why my policy if I'm selling a nice car...no test pilots!!!!!!!
Yea, I was a car jockey 2 summers ago for mazda. I went on some test drives but I don't fully agree thats its the mainly the old guys... the few times I was on test drive for the rx-8 it was the teenagers who drove it fast, went to side streets with lots of corners, slammed on the brakes, etc. I was told by the salesman that if they do stupid shit to tell them to stop and I'd drive it back, not so much that they might damage the car but that I might get hurt if they were to crash. But this is a tricky subject cause when you test drive a car you should drive it hard to see how it drives... but I agree that when they start doing neutral drops and potentially damaging things that people should reconsider letting people test drive their expensive cars.
HIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 03:22 AM   #20
rendered
6th Gear Member

I'm a little older, but I had a similar situation with Town and Country BMW. But for me, it was down to numbers. I was ready to buy; had the pen in my hand poised on the cheque.

They had no problems letting me test drive the vehicle, but were dicks when it came to dealing. You could tell he was starving to sell a car. I had a direct referel to the owner through a friend. I owner kept putting off meeting me. He was always not available when I came in to talk...

I was sick of the games the sales man, and owner were playing and so I called up Performance BMW in St Catherines, ( 3 hrs. away from me) and spent almost $70,000 over the phone. He still gave me the discount I was looking for, and $4000 more for my trade in than any other dealer was offering. And excellent sales service from start to finish!

Coincidently, the first day I started the deal with Performance Bmw, the Owner and sales guy of Town and Country BMW called crying to me. I don't know how they knew I bought the car. maybe it was just coincidence, but hell, it was a good feeling telling him I just bought a car from another dealer... He kept asking me why he lost my business. I replied, "you're a smart guy, it should be obvious why I bought elsewhere."
rendered is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: