Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-09-2005, 01:44 AM   #1
e46mpckg
1st Gear Newbie

hissing noise from passenger side rear

What could the hissing noise be? It's coming from the passenger side rear. I first thought it's the tire that's leaking air. But it's not.

I heard it's possible the fuel pump or the pump for the exhaust system. Your comments are appreciated.
e46mpckg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:09 AM   #2
Bliss
Administrator

Fuel pump. Mine has been doing this since day one...which was from 4 years ago. If it annoys you, you can try replacing it, but i think if you can live with it, just save yourself some money and leave it, unless it's under warranty, then you can let the dealership play around with it.

For maXbimmer decals, please email info@maxbimmer.com
Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 01:36 AM   #3
e46mpckg
1st Gear Newbie

My warranty is over by next April. I was in for service today and they said it's the fuel pump and is normal. I could live with it if it's normal unless it's the sign of going bad.
Old 11-10-2005, 04:09 AM   #4
Bliss
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46mpckg
My warranty is over by next April. I was in for service today and they said it's the fuel pump and is normal. I could live with it if it's normal unless it's the sign of going bad.
They told me it's normal also, but from my own experience i noticed some have it, some don't. No worries though.

Old 11-10-2005, 08:57 PM   #5
BimmerBlonde
2nd Gear Member

one time I had the same problem and I went to see one of the guys at Chuck's and all they did was bang the rear seat a little and the noise was gone temporarily. I didn't want to fix it cause I was selling the car.
BimmerBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:29 PM   #6
kidneykill
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBlonde
one time I had the same problem and I went to see one of the guys at Chuck's and all they did was bang the rear seat a little and the noise was gone temporarily. I didn't want to fix it cause I was selling the car.

lol... sorry!
kidneykill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 10:04 PM   #7
BM4ever
Power seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBlonde
Ya babe you didn't finish the story, and it goes something like this...
So then my wonderfull Fiance went back to Chucks auto "banged him over the head" bought the fuel pump and put it in himself... End Of Story
BM4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 03:20 PM   #8
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

sorry to bring this up again....

I was test driving a 2004 330i M Sport package car (6spd manual) this weekend for someone and noticed the same problem.

It only occurs when you are above 4000 RPM and under load (accelerating). It makes that hissing noise right up until you lift up on the throttle.

Is this the fuel pump issue, or does the fuel pump noise occur at any RPM under acceleration?

The question is:

Before buying, should we get the fuel pump replaced just in case? We can put it in the contract (buying from a BMW dealer).
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 01:20 AM   #9
e46mpckg
1st Gear Newbie

I don't notice any hissing noise inside the car. I only notice the hissing noise outside the car when I get close to the passenger side rear. It seems louder when I start the engine, but after driving a while, the hissing noise level goes down.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:38 AM   #10
Bliss
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtthiaga
sorry to bring this up again....

I was test driving a 2004 330i M Sport package car (6spd manual) this weekend for someone and noticed the same problem.

It only occurs when you are above 4000 RPM and under load (accelerating). It makes that hissing noise right up until you lift up on the throttle.

Is this the fuel pump issue, or does the fuel pump noise occur at any RPM under acceleration?

The question is:

Before buying, should we get the fuel pump replaced just in case? We can put it in the contract (buying from a BMW dealer).
The buzzing is outside on the passenger side, and that would be the fuel pump. If it's that then i don't think you have anything to worry about, but its gonna be under warranty anyways...just in
case.

Old 12-13-2005, 02:19 AM   #11
e46mpckg
1st Gear Newbie

I already talked to the BMW service guy, he said that's normal. So is it normal?
Old 12-13-2005, 09:22 AM   #12
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

I don't really hear a hissing noise outside, or inside.

It's only when I'm in the 4000 RPM range or higher and accelerating, there is a noise coming from the rear passenger seat/wheel area.

There is probably something wrong.
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 10:55 AM   #13
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

It's not a "problem" at all, just fuel moving at a really high rate. It's perfectly normal, and is nothing to worry about, whatsoever.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:34 PM   #14
e46mpckg
1st Gear Newbie

I remember I had a 320 courtesy car last month, I heard the hissing noise too.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:30 AM   #15
bimmer_02
Picture Me Rollin'

that sound is normal man, i don't think you should worry about it. i kinda like that sound too, its sounds ...... BMWish

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: