Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-05-2005, 11:22 PM   #31
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn

There was a 2000 323Ci in our shop a couple weeks ago, haha, the rear floor was tearing outta itself above the diff, funniest thing ever... only 70k I think... wow.... Town+Country told us they have had 2 e46s come in similar to that too... anyone else heard of this happening??

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 11:55 AM   #32
cisco911
6th Gear Member

Yeah, it happens when people power shift constantly and beat their cars. I heard that M3s have that problem if your not careful and are constantly beating it because it has alot of power.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:29 AM   #33
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtthiaga
Thanks for the Info. I think I tried that, but I think the issue is with the B Pillar itself. If I grab it with my hands (just above the seat belt anchor), the noise goes away. If it gets worse, I was thinking of opening the doors, and wrapping the B-Pillar with duct-tape. (The Red Green Possum Lodge Repair)

The car is put away… so no more driving till spring. Will test again in the spring.

Did you have similar issues?

I've had the following replaced by the dealer:
- Door scissor arms
- Door seals (twice)
- B-Pillar Clips (twice.. some were broken)
- They've puts Weather strip grease or lubricant on may areas as well.
While I don't drive an e46 I know this is a common problem with many BMW's and MINI's. The culprit is the window rubbing against the window seal causing a squeaking sound. So applying a light amount of oil/grease to the rubber window seal.. (which will need to be re-applied every so often) usually does the trick. In your case you said it's the B-pillar, so I'm guessing it's one of the plastic clips or the seat belt mechanism itself. In either case, I'd just dismantle it and apply a small dab of silicone to each plastic part to ensure it no longer moves. And back together she goes. My e36 is going on 14 years old... and squeak/rattle free. ... I'm pretty good at getting rid of those sounds now.
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 02:29 AM   #34
bimmer_02
Picture Me Rollin'

I just started to hear some rumbling noise from the rear of my car, im guessing its my diff. making that sounds. What would this mean? and if its the Diff. how much about will it cost to replace?
Old 12-26-2005, 05:33 PM   #35
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
... k, not necessarily the differential. It could be any number of things. When do you hear the rumbling, when does it get worse, better, or always consistent?
Old 12-26-2005, 09:26 PM   #36
bimmer_02
Picture Me Rollin'

i hear it when the car is at stand-still and by rumbling i mean like loose metal/grinding, something like that... hope that helps you imagine it

its not constant, i heard it after a drift in the rain in two different occasion, and i ignored it (just a little drift, nothing big) since then, iv done a few more drifts and havnt heard that sound, and other than those 2 times, i hear it MOST times when i reverse! And also i think i'v noticed a "knock" sound when i disengage the clucth while starting of from a full stop.

Keep in mind that i'v never had my diff. checked or topped up oil on, unless BMW of MISS. does that in the oil changes, my car has 74k so i havnt had the inspection done yet.

Thanx,
Soran
Old 12-27-2005, 01:45 PM   #37
330ci05
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_02
i hear it when the car is at stand-still and by rumbling i mean like loose metal/grinding, something like that... hope that helps you imagine it

its not constant, i heard it after a drift in the rain in two different occasion, and i ignored it (just a little drift, nothing big) since then, iv done a few more drifts and havnt heard that sound, and other than those 2 times, i hear it MOST times when i reverse! And also i think i'v noticed a "knock" sound when i disengage the clucth while starting of from a full stop.

Keep in mind that i'v never had my diff. checked or topped up oil on, unless BMW of MISS. does that in the oil changes, my car has 74k so i havnt had the inspection done yet.

Thanx,
Soran
if anything get urself LSD with shorter gears
330ci05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 05:59 AM   #38
E46er
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci05
if anything get urself LSD with shorter gears

Do you of anyplace in Toronto that sells LSD? Because most of the places I found were in the U.S
E46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:41 AM   #39
Justin e36
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer_02

Thanx,
Soran
Hi Soran,

Well got some good news for you. If you hear the grumbling when the car is at a stand-still, its not your differential. As your differential is only active/moving while you are driving.

The problem now is, what else can it be? Well the only things to the rear of the car that are active while you are parked/not moving is your fuel pump, and your exhaust is spitting our fumes. Otherwise, there's not a whole lot going on back there.

I'm actually suspecting its just a worn out bushing or possibly even a cracked wheel bearing. I worked on a car before (non-bmw) that made a bad grinding sound only in reverse.. it was a cracked wheel bearing. The easy way to really check this is to jack up the rear of the car and spin the wheel. Listen for any odd scraping sound in both directions.

It could also be a worn bushing, or suspension component, since it happens when your car is in a drift (lateral pressure on your rear trailing arm)

I know this doesn't solve a lot, but hopefully it gives you a little more insight on what to look out for.

Justin
Old 12-28-2005, 01:05 PM   #40
330ci05
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46er
Do you of anyplace in Toronto that sells LSD? Because most of the places I found were in the U.S

you can get them from EA but it will cost you more then if you get them online.. i found a great place where you can find them..i'm thinkin about it myself maybe in a year or soo(hopefuly the price goes down, cuz of the e90 comin out )...installation alone is 10Hours of work so thats 1k+ if you want the site let me know i'll pm it
Old 12-28-2005, 01:39 PM   #41
E46er
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ci05
you can get them from EA but it will cost you more then if you get them online.. i found a great place where you can find them..i'm thinkin about it myself maybe in a year or soo(hopefuly the price goes down, cuz of the e90 comin out )...installation alone is 10Hours of work so thats 1k+ if you want the site let me know i'll pm it

Yea, please send me a PM. Thanks
E46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:19 PM   #42
bimmer_02
Picture Me Rollin'

Justin E36 thankx alot for your help, hopefully its not the diff. and ill get it checked out sometime soon and update you guys. Could that sound have anything to do with my shocks tho? cuz i know that my shocks are shot ... it could, well we'll see....

330ci05 could you send me that webstie too plz.

thanx.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:03 PM   #43
330ci05
6th Gear Member

PM sent! good luck guys

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: