Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #16
Blackedout95
6th Gear Member

Possible with all this wet weather it is just old oil spray you are seeing, sure.

Also it is easy to mistake power steering fluid for oil BUT it should have a reddish tinge to it if clean enough and you can usually very easily following your lines from beneath the housing to the front, if they are wet enough it will drip.

So here are two things you should keep your eye on.

1) Check your oil level: When stone cold, say in the morning on a nearly flat surface and get the truest reading.

2) Open up the power steering cap and check it, wipe the stick, youll see two lines, screw it back on and off again and see where the line is.

Id do this for a while and monitor it.

Burning oil is common, sometimes 1-2 liters between services is nothing for some bimmers, losing 1-2 liters a week or so, you have an issue, burning or leaking, pray its leaking lol

GL
Old 02-12-2014, 10:38 PM   #17
wolf_e39
3rd Gear Member

thanks for the help
yea i checked everywhere and no sign of leak that i can see underneath
yes you can tell its engine oil it is very dirty with a hint of gold in it it is not redish.
i did check my engine oil when its stone cold and it is right in between the 2 markings on the stick so not low
the reason why i think im loosing power steering fluid is because i checked it about 5-6 months ago and it was barely touching the stick so i topped it off to the second marking.
today i checked it again and it was a bit under the first marking. so it has to have leaked out somewhere. i will top it off again tomorrow morning and when the good weather comes i will do a full inspection to see where its coming out of.
as for the oil itself lets hope that it is becasue of the wet weather that i see the puddles i do was the car almost once every 2 days to keep it clean of salt
wolf_e39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:22 PM   #18
Blackedout95
6th Gear Member

Sounds like you have a plan, all the best and a power steering res. leak is common, usually a hose. If so it will look wet
Old 02-13-2014, 01:06 AM   #19
wolf_e39
3rd Gear Member

Yes I can see it wet right under the reservoir
thanks for all the help
wolf_e39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #20
Blackedout95
6th Gear Member

No problem, unless it is truly making a mess or a fast leak, not that big a deal tbh. We have many customers who avoid replacing the hose for years until bigger work is needed and it's a while we are there thing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: