Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-06-2004, 05:15 PM   #61
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

looks good Adam cant wait till its fully done
Old 08-06-2004, 05:30 PM   #62
app
5th Gear Member

Nice pictures, looks like you've learned a lot with welding and programming that SMT.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:06 PM   #63
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
More updates for today

I managed to get the bumper about 90% on. It just needs to be rivetted into the bumper brace to secure it, but it decided to rain before I could finish that and install my spoiler.
To keep none of you waiting, I rested my spoiler on the trunk to let you all over it

Next to be installed...the rieger side skirts and m3 mirrors.
I'm so glad there haven't been any real fitment problems at all. I'm also thankful that I got an original kit because all the brackets and everything are installed so the pieces fit like stock and re-use alot of the same hardware *whew*

p.s. I dont care if you think the spoiler is rice. Tell that to the BMW EVO racers who rieger took the design from

Side shot....

Front-Angled shot...
(what's that shiny pipe for behind the bumper? )

Attached Images
File Type: jpg rearcenter.jpg (179.5 KB, 515 views)

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Last edited by djcontra; 08-09-2004 at 04:17 PM.
djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 04:17 PM   #64
DbIiRrTdY
3rd Gear Member

looks great man ... lots work - but it looks like it is all paying off!
DbIiRrTdY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 05:27 PM   #65
app
5th Gear Member

Old 09-06-2004, 08:20 PM   #66
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
New update!

Side skirts and wing are still to be installed (I've been working a shi**y shift lately at work so I haven't had the time), but I managed to get some other goodies installed.

Believe it or not, I re-designed the supercharger piping AGAIN. Since I wont be installing my intercooler any time soon, I opted to simplify my piping setup so that there wil be less spots for potential air leaks. I trimmed down the setup from a 6 pipe setup to a 2 pipe setup!
I'm not sure why I never thought of the design I just made before, but believe me when I say, the new design actually came to me in a dream last night. (yes I dreamt about installing a blower on my e36, so what!! )
Needless to say, the new setup completely clears up the headlight area for me, and gave me enough room to install my euro ellipsoids, AND hids! FINALLY, after 3 years, my hids get installed on the car (I can' t believe they've been sitting in my room all ready to plug and play for so long!).
Regardless, I'm VERY VERY happy and overly anxious for it to get really dark out now
I have to learn how to aim these suckers now 'cause one is slightly too low, but it's better than too high I guess for now.

How does the car run with the new piping system? FANTASTIC! The car is putting down numbers (according to my gtech pro), signifigantly higher than an e36 m3, but not quite hitting the 300hp mark. This is due to the fact that I'm using too large of a pulley on the blower, but I'm kind of afraid to put the 9psi one on there until I get my tranny issues sorted out. My off the line power is also signifigantly higher, and my car no longer bogs down from the start because I tightened the gap on my spark plugs to 0.030 instead of 0.035 (stock) which helped me create a better spark from my (fairly) weak coils. (the coils are reading 0.9 each which isn't bad but isn't good either...i'm going to invest in plasma coils eventually).
Since I've got the majority of my headaches out of the way now, I've got to start saving up for a new clutch (perhaps an e36m3 one w/ pressure plate for now to save a few bucks), and for a 3.43 or 3.73 limited slip differential. I'm really keen on the differential since 1 wheel burnouts dont impress anyone, especially myself, and I want more power at the lower end of the rpm spectrum since I frankly dont care too much about going faster than 180km/h. The quicker I can get my rpms into the sweet spot for my blower, the happier I'll be that's for sure!

Tomorrow's project (weather depending), is to install an ebay short shifter. Some of you may have seen a purple/pink short shifter being sold by BUILT4RACE on ebay recently. Well, I bought one and have to say it's quite a nice piece for the $30 or so I paid for it (i forget how much now honestly, but after shipping, duties, and taxes it never went above $50 CDN).
I'll post a full review afterwards because quite a few people have pm'd me regarding the shifter and how it is since it's so inexpensive.

If things go really well, maybe I'll have my side skirts on by the weekend! The wing will go on last since I'm actually not quite sure how to install the mounting hardware for it so I have to translate the instructions into english from german to help me out.
The mounting kit comes with 4 rubber gromets with threaded insides, and 3 plastic screws. I guess I'm supposed to drill holes in the spoiler and the trunk of the car, pressure fit the gromets into the spoiler, and then screw it down to the trunk lid....but....by doing that, you can still pull the spoiler off the gromets so I'm a bit confused!! If all else fails, I'll do what I did on my last e36 when I re-mounted it's spoiler. I'll pickup some snowboard binding threads, mount then into the spoiler, and use the screws that come with the snowboard threads to bolt the spoiler to the trunk lid. At least I know for sure that setup will work, and it's STRONG. I dont want my $1000 spoiler flying off the car on the highway or being stolen

(yes, the spoiler cost $1000 shipped + paint....what do you expect for a REAL rieger piece?? )

Mods
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-Remus full catback
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Last edited by djcontra; 09-06-2004 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-06-2004, 08:25 PM   #67
Quack
Wheelman

Send a message via MSN to Quack
Adam get this beast running, I haven't seen you all year, hope to see you at Bimmercuize

Maxbimmer Drama, You Gotta Love It
Quack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 09:00 PM   #68
Understated
7th Gear [SMG III] Member

whoa that car is gonna look like a beast when it's done! is it gonna be a full widebody? or just regular reiger skirt package and whatnot?

Last edited by Understated; 09-06-2004 at 09:03 PM.
Understated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 09:55 PM   #69
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

I bought the original infinity I kit with rieger EVO wing instead of the infinity II kit (widebody), but my rear fenders have some rust forming when I feel around behind them, so I might just have them cut out and flared by a body shop when I'm ready for paint.

quakcers, I'll try and come out to a meet sometime soon but I'll be at bimmercruize for sure (at least for the show). My front suspension is so shot right now that my front end bottoms out quite often, so I'm actually too afraid to go to the meets because people tend to drive a little crazy. I dont think I'd be able to keep up with you guys and still save my bumper at the same time
I'll hopefully have my coilovers on by october though, it's just i've run into an embarrassing snag.....my driver's side front wheel wont come off the car! It's fused somehow to the wheel hub, and I just can't get it off, even with a mallet and crowbar! I'm going to use the winch on my father's hummer the next time he sticks around long enough to see if he can pull the darn thing off. I dunno why it's fused, but it must be some crazy corrosion or something

Mods
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-Remus full catback
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Last edited by djcontra; 09-06-2004 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:01 PM   #70
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Hey Adam how did u go about doin all those tube bending urself. i will not mind learning
Old 09-06-2004, 10:19 PM   #71
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

No need to bend tubes here, I bought pre bent mandrel u-bends from Thruway mufflers at $25 a piece. It's expensive (I think), but hella worth it. I noticed an immediate increase in power when I switched to mandrel bent piping because of the added air flow. You basically cut of the macaroni-like pipes into segments, and piece it together like a puzzle until the other end of the pipe reaches your throttle body
After that you can either weld them together as one or two pieces, or simply couple them with silicone couplings and t-bolt clamps.
It'll take about a day to do one car as you'll be trying many different configurations until you decide which one works best.

Mods
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-Remus full catback
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Old 09-12-2004, 09:40 AM   #72
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

a little birdie told me that the car might have it's complete body kit on by today....we'll see what happens!

Mods
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-Remus full catback
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Old 09-12-2004, 09:54 AM   #73
Justin e36
---

Send a message via ICQ to Justin e36 Send a message via AIM to Justin e36 Send a message via Yahoo to Justin e36
post pics.. ... thruway muffler huh?... I'm looking to make my intake a cold-air for next summer... maybe that's where I'll get my piping from... hmm...
Justin e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 12:47 PM   #74
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Ok, the little birdie was full of sh*t, 'cause it's not done yet
Basically the car is spoilerless, but I managed to get the sideskirts on. Sideskirts are great fun to install...just goop on the construction adhesive, and use metal self-tapping screws on the ends of the skirts to bolt onto the car. Take some shi**y drywall screws and screw the middle of the skirts to the body to keep it flush while the glue dries...and you're done!

As for the spoiler, I need to buy a special hole-saw to do the job. The spoiler doesn't touch the trunk lid very much at all, so I have really no margin for error installing the mounting kit. Hopefully I'll get a chance to do it this week during the day, as I'm working nights this shift. If all else fails it'll be on for sure next weekend. Today I just have to sit and wait while the glue dries on the skirts before I can take the car anywhere.

Justin, you'll love thruway, at least I know I love the one here in scarborough on eglington. The guy who runs the place is really friendly and helpful to deal with, which is more than I can say for most exhaust shops. The guy there didn't even charge me tax, and it was my first visit! 6 other exhaust shops I visited in the same day (at the time), turned me away almost immediately when I asked about mandrel bending, they were such a$$holes about it too!

Mods
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-Remus full catback
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Last edited by djcontra; 09-12-2004 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:02 PM   #75
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Just letting everyone know that the car is continuing to progress nicely, but that I wont be posting any more updates (or posts really) for the next few months. Something came up recently (nothing bad), so I wont be able to browse maxbimmer.com for a long while, nor will I be attending bimmercruize like I had planned. See you all next spring perhaps!

p.s. in the meantime you might be able to catch a glimpse of the car driving around in scarborough though

Mods
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-Remus full catback
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Display Modes Rate This Thread