Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-05-2004, 05:43 AM   #46
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra

That is very similar! Either way, I've decided to go with a black roof/hood/trunk (or cf), and graphite lower half. The colours will (hopefully) be so similar that you'll only see the seperation in the light. At least that's the plan

Well my welding skills are much improved now, and I'm more than ready to tackle my piping, so this coming weekend I'm tearing down the bumpers, and will begin to install not only the large intercooler, but also the body kit starting with the back bumper, wing, and sideskirts.
In the meantime I have to figure out a few troublesome problems with the way my supercharger's spout is situated, in regards to where my piping is going to lead down to the intercooler. (doesn't sound like much, but it set me back this weekend )

My car now has an EMS (engine management system), instead of buying a custom chip. I purchased the SMT-6 on friday, and started to wire it up this weekend (what a b*tch too). When this thing is fully installed, I'll be able to connect a laptop to my E36 and tune it to my heart's desire. This unit is a piggy back system which intercepts all of the ECU's commands and inputs my own set of instructions. I also have the ability to control (almost) every sensor on the car including some other interesting things like the vanos (I can turn it on whenever, or tell the car to always leave it off too). The parts I'm really keen on are tricking my MAF and O2 sensors into to mixing the correct air/fuel ratios. These two sensors are nothing but headaches for anyone with forced induction on their E36. I'll also be able to tune my car to use the larger injectors I purchased from GreekThang earlier on this year (finally!).
I highly suggest anyone who's looking for EMS for their car to check out the SMT-6. It's only $540, which is a little more than what a performance chip costs, but similar or less than a custom one would cost, not to mention you can tweak it whenever you add another mod to your car!

More to come later this week....

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 07:08 PM   #47
app
5th Gear Member

Quote:
The parts I'm really keen on are tricking my MAF and O2 sensors into to mixing the correct air/fuel ratios.
Looking to vent to the atmosphere?
Old 07-05-2004, 09:45 PM   #48
calgaryE30M50
2nd Gear Member

Maybe I can help a bit......

I just got my RMS stage 1 supercharger kit.

It came with a 5.5 inch crank pully and a 3.33 inch supercharger pully. this is suposed to make 8.5 lbs of boost.

if I go to the 3.25 supercharger pully I will make 9.8 lbs of boost according to RMS.

I have also always been told that a BOV is a NO NO NO on a MAF supercharger because you are venting "metered" air .

I am asuming that the MAF is before the supercharger.

If you use a MAP sensor insted with the the SMRT 6 then you will be fine. A guy here has a m3 with a blower making 11 pounds of boost using a BOV and a TEC 3
he maks well over 400 hp to the wheels.

my kit came with a BOSH Sport BPV

I have spent allot of time on the Bimmerforums forced induction forum and that I a great place to go for this kind of info. They talk allot about supercharge pully size and such.

I also asked empowered If myabe we can start a forced induction forum here as allot of us are getting into it and I think It would be great.

Please feel free to e-mail me if you want to talk more about my kit and what is in it. We can go much more in depth.

mradder@telusplanet.net

Michael
RMS stage 1 (v1) supercharger setup for sale
3000 CDN without software
( unless you want RMS chip )
calgaryE30M50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 08:25 PM   #49
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
brief update. I found a leak in my intake manifold...UNDER the manifold I should add. It ended up causing water to pool up inside too
(none in the engine THANKFULLY cause I noticed it right away when I was moving some piping around)
For those with M50's will know what I'm talking about when I say it was caused by that stupid clip that connects a hose from the idle control valve to the intake manifold...well it broke! (everything plastic ends up breaking lately for me *sigh*).
Anyway, I've removed my intake manifold...and let me say...what a pain in the royal ARSE that was! Kudos to anyone who does the OBDI manifold swap on their OBD2 cars, it's really a lot of hard work and gashed knuckles!

I'm going to redesign this stupid ICV setup...i'm gonna give it longer hoses and relocate it to where I can actually get at it for next time!

Mods
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-Remus full catback
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Old 07-13-2004, 09:09 AM   #50
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

SLOWLY getting there (shocking aint it?? ). Trust me though, everything is fine. I'm STILL waiting for that ICV part to come in at the dealer's so I can put back my intake manifold. In the meantime I bought some nice spiffy 2.5" U-Bend pipes yesterday to replace the un-sightly piping coming out of the supercharger, and to complete the turns for my intercooler. The pipes that are there now were just templates for the shop to bend me the actual pipes.
It should look VERY nice when it's all done despite how everything looks in the pic

oh, and I got the SMT6 installed too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg engine-bay-july.jpg (241.6 KB, 468 views)

Mods
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-Remus full catback
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Last edited by djcontra; 07-13-2004 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:32 AM   #51
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Today I can safely say, my car is now tuned, and running great! I've never had the car run so smoothly since the day I bought it as it does now with the SMT6 running the air/fuel mixture; it's simply amazing!
Now that I can cross that project off my list, I plan to tackle installing the rest of my intercooler system, as well as my body kit this weekend!
I finally got all of my mandrel bent pieces from the shop yesterday (all u-bends which I'll have to cut up and weld), so I'm all set to go re-fabricate my current test piping to nice smooth mandrel bent ones. The new intercooler is so huge I might have to cut part of the body away for it to fit, or relocate my electric fan to the other side of the radiator, but it'll be well worth it.
If all goes well, I'll also have my HIDs in by monday as well (since they'll fit now).

pics to follow

Mods
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-Remus full catback
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Old 08-06-2004, 12:56 PM   #52
app
5th Gear Member

with the smt6, are you blowing off like a bov?
Old 08-06-2004, 04:50 PM   #53
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

app: I'll probably have to do some remapping when I install the BOV tomorrow because....

..I am finished for the day; I'm too tired to continue. I re-fabricated all of my piping today (not easy!!), only to find I need to buy some more hardware to mount the intercooler, so for now, I've done an intercooler-delete mod

Despite the old cooler being removed from the setup, the car runs SOOOO much better with the mandrel bent piping and my new design that I've got a perma-grin from ear-to-ear .
I am also so impressed with the new GTech firgures I'm laying down, that I may not even put an intercooler on until I increase boost to 10psi. I'm actually gaining in horsepower right now even while heat soaked due to less air restriction from the cooler (and possibly leaks with the old one) so I can't decide what I want to do right now. (simpler IS less headache, and I need less of a headache right now )
On top of re-fabb'ing all of my piping, I also managed to mount the front rieger bumper with only minor issues (the driver side needs to be re-aligned as it's sagging just a tad, but it's no big deal.)
Tomorrow I'll take all the pipes apart once more for paint, and coat the bumper with some primer if I can get it aligned properly.
Then it's on to the side skirts and rear bumper! w00p!

PICS PICS PICS!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frontview.jpg (163.3 KB, 405 views)

Mods
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-Remus full catback
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Last edited by djcontra; 08-06-2004 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:53 PM   #54
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

From behind (ooooh look at all the pretty mandrel bends )

(not bad for a home-made custom job eh?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rearview.jpg (145.0 KB, 400 views)

Mods
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-Remus full catback
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Old 08-06-2004, 04:56 PM   #55
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Front view of the bumper...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front.jpg (135.6 KB, 402 views)
Old 08-06-2004, 04:58 PM   #56
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Front from an angle....(i've been waiting for this for 2 years almost!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frontangle.jpg (140.5 KB, 378 views)
Old 08-06-2004, 05:01 PM   #57
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Original rieger baby! (taken from the rear bumper as I can't see the sticker on the front anymore )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg originalrieger.jpg (76.7 KB, 386 views)
Old 08-06-2004, 05:06 PM   #58
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Finnaly.. when is the elipsiode's?H.I.D. goin on?
and r u still goin to but H.I.D in ur reverse light ?
Old 08-06-2004, 05:10 PM   #59
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

This is a pic of the two J-bends which will eventually be rotated differently to accept the intercooler piping (i'm thinking ahead here )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ubend.jpg (89.1 KB, 365 views)
Old 08-06-2004, 05:13 PM   #60
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Zimmie, the ellipsoids still dont fit with my new design (grr! ) Not to worry though. If I can find a place that sell that accordian style tubing I'm using on the air-inlet, I'll migrate everything over to the passenger side of the engine, and bend my air outlet pipes more sharply inwards to fit the new headlamps.
It sounds complicated (maybe?), but it's really not a big deal...maybe 1 hour's work.
I guess I gotta visit a vaccum shop or something ??

Mods
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-Remus full catback
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Display Modes Rate This Thread