Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Classifieds > Looking for
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-19-2003, 04:24 AM   #1
sokun
1st Gear Newbie

wtb engine for e30

looking to get a new engine for my 1989 325i ,also if you guys know of a guy who does engine swaps for a good price in toronto
thanks in advance.
sokun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 04:39 AM   #2
FatDaddyBMW
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via AIM to FatDaddyBMW
Re: wtb engine for e30

Quote:
Originally posted by sokun
looking to get a new engine for my 1989 325i ,also if you guys know of a guy who does engine swaps for a good price in toronto
thanks in advance.

Define "new engine."

Are you looking for new as in different? As in engine conversion? Or, are you looking for a new/rebuilt stock engine? Or a built M20? There are a crapload of engine options for an e30, so be specific, man!!

Brad "Shifty" Couvillon
'87 528e <--- Mark D'Sylva chip, 3.46 diff, 5-speed conversion, Bav Auto / Bilstein Sport

FatDaddyBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 05:07 AM   #3
sokun
1st Gear Newbie

My motor is on its last breath so i am looking to swap another motor in. I am looking for a conversion and need help finding a decent motor/shop where i can get this done. any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks
sokun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 06:14 AM   #4
FatDaddyBMW
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sokun
My motor is on its last breath so i am looking to swap another motor in. I am looking for a conversion and need help finding a decent motor/shop where i can get this done. any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks

If you're looking for a conversion or a rebuild, you'll definitely be spending more than the car's worth, just so you know. Rebuilding a stock 325i engine to stock specs will cost you ~$4k. An M50 or other swap will cost you a tad more in engine/wiring/transmission pieces alone. Add the cost of the suspension upgrades you'll need, and you're looking at some serious cash.

What makes you think your current M20 is on its last breath? These things last over 1/4 million miles if they're kept up. You can find a good 60k - 150k mile 325i engine for ~$300 - $400. It's a direct replacement for your current engine, and it'll last almost forever.

Talk to a guy named E30 Stu on this forum. His dad, Pete McHenry, owns Precision Performance, which does a LOT of M20 rebuilds and conversions. He can let you know what you'll want to look into.

If you decide to do an M20 stroker motor or rebuild, I would say that McHenry is the place to go. They're located in North Carolina, by the way.

Hope this helps,

Brad "Shifty" Couvillon
'87 528e <--- Mark D'Sylva chip, 3.46 diff, 5-speed conversion, Bav Auto / Bilstein Sport

Old 01-19-2003, 07:21 AM   #5
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

i have an E34 M5 engine with tranny/ecu if you want..ill pm you with more details once i get them.

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 02:48 PM   #6
The Sly
5th Gear Member

Interesting....
how does a used M5 engine goes for ????

This would be a fine project for my E30....
Old 01-19-2003, 03:24 PM   #7
FatDaddyBMW
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sly
Interesting....
how does a used M5 engine goes for ????

This would be a fine project for my E30....
Sly,

Just so you know, the e34 M5 engine is HEAVY!!

Here are some weights of stock engines according to my ETK:

e30 325i: 117kg
e36 328i: 129kg
e36 M3 3.0: 153kg
e36 M3 3.2: 135kg
e34 M5 3.6: 161kg

These are all US-spec engines, but you get the point. The M5 engine is 45 kg HEAVIER than the e30 325i engine!!

There are a lot better ways to achieve 340HP than an M5 engine. IMO, the S38s are best left for the 5s and 7s (I've seen an e24 M6 engine in an e23 733i chassis, and that thing SCREAMED!).

Sorry to ruin any deal e46 Lover may have going, but I don't want you to realize the car handles like crap once your $10,000 engine and transmission are fitted into the car.

FWIW, I heard of an e30 M3 fitted with an S38. Someone in a modified e30 M3 was catching this guy in the turns but was just getting LEFT on the straights.

They finally pulled into the paddock, and the "normal" M3 driver looked under the hood of the other one. S38-power, baby!!

Brad "Shifty" Couvillon

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: