Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-12-2011, 04:31 PM   #61
ItsPat
n00b

Can someone take a quick look at this ad for me? http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...dIdZ274578127#

I know the car is nothing special but anyway - look at photo 7 of 10 - there seems to be some 'oozing' or black dirt coming down from the shadow line. Any idea what that might be? And also on the right of the bumper there is a small square...also has it on the front right bumper, and a weird clip thing on the left front bumper. The passenger seatbelt also seems 'loose' but maybe i'm over analyzing...any thoughts?
ItsPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #62
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsPat View Post
Damn that topaz blue 2001 looks sweet. Crazy low km's, priced fairly well considering the work he claims to have put into it. It's not exactly my taste with the color and the rims but at least it's not totally molested. I sent an email out and hopefully I can go see it this weekend, if that car can be had for under 10k then maybe that's a good find, thoughts?

The link you posted with the supercharger was a duplicate of the link above, maybe you can find it again?

Thanks for that info on the sport seats, i'll definitely keep an eye out for that. So 'Premium Package' don't have sport seats? Or is that a specific option?

Lastly, just as a rule of thumb - when I'm looking at cars approaching/surpassing the 150,000km mark what should I be asking about:

-belts
-water/fuel pump?
-ball joints?
-control arms/bushings
-struts/springs?
-bearings?
-should i be worried about worn-out looking seats or is that par for the course? TIA
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ281295648 thats the link.

All the item described should be checked over at that mileage as well as expansion tank , thermostat and rear subframe mounts.

They might not necessarily need replacement at that point but they need to be taken accounted for as future replacement. Here is a good break down :

Belts (there are two AC and accessories drive) need to be changed every 30-40k kms

Pulleys need to be changed every second time you change belts.

Water pump can last up to 180k kms in some cases (my car had its original pump when I pulled it at 180kms dated '03and was perfectly fine)

Fuel pump , you never know when it blows, no mileage here.

Control arms will last up to 130kms NO MORE , control arm bushings never last more then 80kms, most people dont notice it but they are actually gone.

Springs dont usually wear out, there have been reports of broken rear springs on E46 but thats not something to worry about.

Shocks dont last more then 100-120kms, an average person will never actually notice it as teh ride will be somewhat ok and wont feel like your shocks are gone, but if you take the shock out you'll see that its blown and has little to no rebound.

Wheel bearings is the type of problem you worry about when you hit 200k+

Worn out seats depend on the size and clumsiness of the old owner. My last BMW had 60k kms less then my current one but the driver seat had a worn out hole in the bolster, my current car has like new interior.
new member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #63
Banned

Quote:
Can someone take a quick look at this ad for me? http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...dIdZ274578127#

I know the car is nothing special but anyway - look at photo 7 of 10 - there seems to be some 'oozing' or black dirt coming down from the shadow line. Any idea what that might be? And also on the right of the bumper there is a small square...also has it on the front right bumper, and a weird clip thing on the left front bumper. The passenger seatbelt also seems 'loose' but maybe i'm over analyzing...any thoughts?
I dont know what oozing is, but it looks like water as teh car probably just came out from a carwash.

Clip things are the covers for your tow hook.

You are WAY over exaggerating
Old 05-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #64
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:

Cant tell by looking at pictures.. have to see it.. might just be dirt....

btw ..nice car, looks good..

Last edited by damameke; 05-12-2011 at 07:50 PM.
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #65
ItsPat
n00b

So long as nobody minds me dragging this thread out, I'll continue my search.

Things got a bit hectic the past two weeks but are settling down now, also just got a tax return back so that never hurts.

Here is my current watch list (off kijiji only, auto trader is meh, craigslist to come later):

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...dIdZ282096357# originally posted/liked by new_member, car looks sweet, maybe a tad steep on the ask.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ282665387 has that rare 'Inline V6' i emailed the seller, the only service records he has is for Krown rustproofing and an alignment that he claims he can't find the receipt for...

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ282674062 cool car with some service records and a funky interior, sorta maxing out my budget once again

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ282790965 a bit older, higher kms but looks clean, costs less

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ282956940 this is in the maxbimmer classifieds, nice car, wont accept offers of less than 10k, is it wrong to assume that private sales should be prepared to negotiate at least 10% off asking price?

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ282560215 an '06 with HIGH kms, maxes my budget but it would qualify for a bank loan, might be an option?

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ282776975 nice sharp black, bit high on price IMO

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ283393145 called about this one, car is uninsured and in a parking garage at yonge & bloor...seller hasn't provided any service records despite multiple requests

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ282986992 i really like this one, i think it's priced well, 156km interior seems to be in good shape

any/all opinions welcome, thanks again guys, i promise i'll buy one of these damn things soon lol
Old 05-31-2011, 10:20 AM   #66
ItsPat
n00b

Hey guys, ya ya I'm still looking for a car, anyway I'm going to see one tonight.

Despite some of the advice I was given, it's an '06 325i sport package 6spd manual with an extra set of 18" M5 rims + tires. CPO warranty has only 2 months remaining, mileage is 120k. Asking price is $17k, what do you guys think it's worth?

I know it may not be ideal to be financing a used car like this but here's my rationale:

-instead of cleaning out one of my savings accounts on an $7-8k car that needs say a grand worth of work, I can take a relatively affordable loan out from the bank since the car is an '06
-pay about $5k off right away and finance roughly $12k over 4-5 years on fairly low monthly payments
-seller states that he has well documented service records and is willing to go to a BMW location to have the car looked at with me

Any suggestions how I should play this out are appreciated. TIA
Old 05-31-2011, 11:24 AM   #67
damameke
6th Gear Member

Check and test drive the car..look at the documented service record...car proof history...

and if you like what you see.... negotiate a price that you are comfortable in paying(no one pays full listed price, unless it is a collector's item) on condition that your mechanic check it over.

Autotrader search came up with a 3, 2006 325 sport package with much lower km and listed around $17K too....

you are doing it right..take your time till you find the right car for youself...
Old 05-31-2011, 07:45 PM   #68
ItsPat
n00b

Went out and saw the vehicle and my general impression is positive. Km's are up to 122***, CPO warranty runs out at the end of July '11, so that's a bit of a negative.

The seller didn't have service records with him but insists that we'll both go to BMW together as the car is scheduled to be in for service on June 20th anyway.

Condition-wise it was good, there were a handful of small stone chips though the car does have one of those vinyl clear nose protector things, any chips in the paint have been touched up by the owner, one small ~1" area on the driverside front pillar is globbed up a bit and doesn't look pretty, no big deal. There was one tiny dent, a little 'ping' in the rear driver side door and other than that it looked very good.

My feeling is that the car could be had for $16,000, I'd love to be closer to $15k. The current tires are about 20,000km used run flats, the car also comes with 18" M5? rims with Pirelli winter run flats. I saw the rims myself, they're not in perfect condition (some curb rash for sure) but should still be worth something right? Present staggered rims on the car were in great condition.

Lastly, the car had a rattle in the rear driver side corner, seller said he had the car detailed recently and it's been rattling a bit, suggested we could have it looked at. While we didn't explicitly talk price I let him know I was definitely interested and would be in touch with him within the next day or two, thoughts?
Old 05-31-2011, 09:58 PM   #69
damameke
6th Gear Member

So what caused the rattling? It will drive you crazy.. you might say no now...

I would look at others for I am pretty sure you can find one in better condition...

Based on what you had described of the car.. I will pass....check out the one at Euro sport, one of the sponsor here...
Old 05-31-2011, 11:28 PM   #70
ItsPat
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by damameke View Post
So what caused the rattling? It will drive you crazy.. you might say no now...

I would look at others for I am pretty sure you can find one in better condition...

Based on what you had described of the car.. I will pass....check out the one at Euro sport, one of the sponsor here...
I meant to post about the Eurosport one, I'm calling them first thing in the morning to try and get down to see their 325 with low km's. Should be a good comparison.

Also, I found the tires on this car to be excessively loud. There was also some digging while cornering, even around the parking lot you could really feel and hear the runflats, do you think this is purely a tire issue and/or do most guys just get rid of the runflats as soon as they go the first time?

Edit: I forgot to mention the engine compartment was really dirty. Now I know not every owner is going to keep their cars totally clean but there were like leaves under the hood and while the owner opened the hood he joked "Haven't looked under here for a WHILE" not sure what to make of that if anything...

Last edited by ItsPat; 05-31-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #71
ItsPat
n00b

Hey guys - quick update - i'm still looking at this '06 325 with a rattle.

The seller was kind enough to loan me the car for 3 days to get accustomed to it and find any other issues - i had it checked out at StanceFactory - those guys are awesome, they told me what the issues are and I dropped the car at BMW Toronto to have the issues repaired under warranty (rattle = window regulator, passenger side airbag malfunction, seatbelt light is on). Otherwise i think this is the one, despite some negative feedback from some guys in the thread here. Anything you think i might be missing before i pull the trigger?
Old 06-15-2011, 12:13 PM   #72
Bliss
Administrator

Quote:
Hey guys - quick update - i'm still looking at this '06 325 with a rattle.

The seller was kind enough to loan me the car for 3 days to get accustomed to it and find any other issues - i had it checked out at StanceFactory - those guys are awesome, they told me what the issues are and I dropped the car at BMW Toronto to have the issues repaired under warranty (rattle = window regulator, passenger side airbag malfunction, seatbelt light is on). Otherwise i think this is the one, despite some negative feedback from some guys in the thread here. Anything you think i might be missing before i pull the trigger?
If you checked out the car with your tech and know all the issues with it and you love everything about it, then buy it!

It was very nice of the seller to lend you the car for 3 days before making a decision. You don't hear of that too often.

For maXbimmer decals, please email info@maxbimmer.com
Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:39 PM   #73
ItsPat
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliss View Post
If you checked out the car with your tech and know all the issues with it and you love everything about it, then buy it!

It was very nice of the seller to lend you the car for 3 days before making a decision. You don't hear of that too often.
Thanks, I do love MOST things about it...not the runflat tires or the aux jack but these things i can live with for the short term. The silver color has definitely grown on me too, overall it's what i've been looking for and i've dragged the search out long enough. Just waiting on confirmation that those couple items got fixed at the dealer and then it'll be mine, fingers crossed.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:26 AM   #74
Banned

Before you do buy it, please take some time and bring it for a PPI (pre purchase inspection)

I can only recommend 2 shops to go for PPI:

-RMP rmpmotors.com . A very well knows place with only positive reviews.

-Advanced Knowledge Automotive -905 883 4BMW (4269) Trevor. They're in Richmond hill and just got in business. The guy owning the shop is a BMW Certified master technician for over 25 years. You can even set a Saturday appointment with them.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #75
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new member View Post
Before you do buy it, please take some time and bring it for a PPI (pre purchase inspection)

I can only recommend 2 shops to go for PPI:

-RMP rmpmotors.com . A very well knows place with only positive reviews.

-Advanced Knowledge Automotive -905 883 4BMW (4269) Trevor. They're in Richmond hill and just got in business. The guy owning the shop is a BMW Certified master technician for over 25 years. You can even set a Saturday appointment with them.
I presumed you missed the part that OP already had car checked(PPI) by Stancefactory...

To OP.. there was a TSB on the rattling window ..yup.. buy it after the repair

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: