Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-09-2015, 04:32 PM   #1
RockCL
1st Gear Newbie

Advice before buying used 2009 M3

I've got my eye on a 2009 BMW M3 with about 80,000 KM's, listed at $36,000.

I'm looking for some buying advice (caveats, tips, general input, etc.). Your expertise is appreciated!
RockCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #2
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

I think all the normal tips apply when buying a used car, get a PPI, check for accident history etc. The problem areas on an S65 engine aren't things that you can look at and tell weather or not there is going a be problems in the future. All you can check for is that it is healthy in it's current state and that it was maintained well (Oil changes, etc).

They are great cars, expensive to maintain (to some) and some repairs are costly even more so when not maintained well. Otherwise they are generally pretty reliable cars, with only a few problem areas. Throttle Actuators are one that I've heard about often but never had it come up on mine yet. They will cause the car to go into fail safe mode and a check engine light, not really anyway to tell in advance when it will fail. Rod bearings are a common topic on the forums, some go to extremes such as doing an oil analysis to look for bearing metals. You want to make sure you have a healthy engine as potential repairs can be costly, esp if you spun a bearing, but those kind of things can't really be predicted in advance.

Good luck in your search, do your research and you should be fine. Price out everyday consumables so you aren't surprised when you do your first oil change.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.
T.Dot_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:01 PM   #3
BestodaBest
1st Gear Newbie

When i was shopping for my M3, i spent countless hours researching every little thing i could possibly find for the E92's. Its a fantastic car; puts a smile on my face every time.

One thing i keep forgetting to do is have an oil sample taken and analyzed. The bottom end bearings are apparently a weakness in the 08's and possibly 09's (if my memory serves me correctly).

You'll love it; best of luck with your search!
BestodaBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:02 AM   #4
CleanE30
4th Gear Member

Would like to revive this thread as I am also looking to purchase a E93 M3. Any additional pointers on rod bearings and any other wear items for cars that are 120,000 - 180,000k kms???
Thank!
CleanE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:34 PM   #5
Mrgnomer
1st Gear Newbie

Throttle actuators and rod bearings are something to watch out for. A good buy I think would have proof of throttle actuator and rod bearing replacement. There's lot of on line warnings about the m3's s65 engine original rod bearings having too tight tolerance for high revs at cold start. Recommendation is to keep revs low, under about 4k, until the oil viscocity thins with a warm engine. If the selling owner knows and practices this the rod bearings should be in better shape than if they didn't. I'd budget to replace rod bearings anyway if they haven't. The right new rod bearings are upgrades that are supposedly designed to work better.

There's two banks of throttle actuators. I had one go in the first year of a 2008 m3 e90 ownership. Replaced both. Common problem from what I've read. Other stuff is random common stuff. A problem I just recently fixed was a bad seconday cat delete and muffler mod a previous owner did. Cat delete welds rusted out and the muffler mod rusted out inside the muffler. I replaced the bad cat delete with new xpipe and resonator. The axle back muffler I cut open and welded new straight pipes into. Now she sounds awesome but before the fix old lady hair was trailing out of the muffler every now and then and the good engine roar was really muted. The new xpipe resonator wasn't cheap and a new muffler wouldn't have been cheap either.

Currently I have a blown rear shock. If you have edc there aren't any plug and play replacements I know of besides original and bilstein. Neither are cheap but the Bilstein I think is an upgrade. Going full spring shock and strut replacement all the way around with height adjustment option and edc is the painfully expensive b16 damptronic option. I went for that option and don't really regret it especially now that my M3 sounds and responds so good. If you are looking at an M3 with edc and are interested in making sure the edc is functional make sure there's no edc delete upgrade. As far as I know the edc delete prevents error but leaves the edc lights working while eliminating the edc option. If you don't care about the edc then a shock spring and good strut edc delete upgrade is cheaper and most are adjustable.

Nothing is cheap about the M3. To save money and get the job done right it's good to research and get to know the car really well so you can do stuff yourself. I fixed a persistent door open alarm by finding out led angle eyes could cause it and swapped the leds out for original bulbs. Saved me possible door actuator and footwell module replacement dealers would have charged for. Dealers have messed stuff up enough for me that I only trust them for parts. Good aftermarket mechanics specializing in BMW have done good jobs IMHO. There will not be another M3 s65 naturally aspirated V8. It is an awesome muscle car engine. The cost of maintenance, repairs and upgrades hurts a whole lot less when you push to WOT through a tunnel with the windows down and you sink in your seat while a roaring symphony washes over you.

Last edited by Mrgnomer; 10-26-2020 at 05:40 PM.
Mrgnomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw m3, used car

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: