Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password


Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 59 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-11-2014, 01:50 AM   #1501
kevlarian
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orange County
Posts: 2


So I am getting some new rims, and wanted input. Found these Avid AV-05's (BBS mesh style replicas). 16x8 running 205/50 tires. I the car has been lowered by 30mm with new springs and shocks.

I have tried to read through this and other threads but don't have a clear answer. If the rim has a +25 offset, will it still fit OK?

Thanks in advance for your advise...
kevlarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 10:04 AM   #1502
Slowered318
6th Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,088
From doing a quick search I found the Avid AV-05's also come in +15 mm offset.
Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 05:55 PM   #1503
kevlarian
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Orange County
Posts: 2
Better question. What offset do I want? For a 16" rim?
kevlarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:52 PM   #1504
Eddiekay
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 1
Help on offset !!

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the e30 scene and I'm looking to buy some wheels, I've been looking for 16" bbs rs but I wouldn't mind 15" as well, I've been told that running a +20 offset on rims that are 7" wide would be an ideal fit.

My question is, what would be the best offset to run with a 15x7" wheel that will help fill out the guards nicely, I don't want to have to roll fenders or use spacers.
Current wheels on it are the stock 14's for that year model, tyre size is 195/65 14 of that helps out !
I haven't got it lowered at all yet but I'll be looking to do that after get wheels

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys !

Last edited by Eddiekay; 08-23-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:47 PM   #1505
wolffenheise
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: australia
Posts: 1
I've just got reps Borbet Type A's 15x8 ET10 with 195x50 rubber all round.

Fronts sit quite nice with 5mm spacer.

wondering tire size for the rears and possibly spacer to fill the guards a bit more. rears currently have 195x50's. I can't lower the rear any more as the exhaust is sitting about 40mm from the ground as it is..

Whats a good setup to get half decent flush look?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4dr.JPG (158.7 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 4dr2.JPG (37.2 KB, 69 views)
wolffenheise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:24 PM   #1506
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 13,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSI View Post
Possible to do 235/40r17 with 5-lug swap? Any rolling or spacing? Assuming E39 style 42s with hub rings.
No, the offset is too low (with either E30 or E36 hubs).
__________________
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:25 PM   #1507
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 13,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlarian View Post
So I am getting some new rims, and wanted input. Found these Avid AV-05's (BBS mesh style replicas). 16x8 running 205/50 tires. I the car has been lowered by 30mm with new springs and shocks.

I have tried to read through this and other threads but don't have a clear answer. If the rim has a +25 offset, will it still fit OK?

Thanks in advance for your advise...
5mm front spacers are necessary. Or, buy the +15 version and use 205/45 tires. Looks better, perfect fit.
__________________
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #1508
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 13,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiekay View Post
Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the e30 scene and I'm looking to buy some wheels, I've been looking for 16" bbs rs but I wouldn't mind 15" as well, I've been told that running a +20 offset on rims that are 7" wide would be an ideal fit.

My question is, what would be the best offset to run with a 15x7" wheel that will help fill out the guards nicely, I don't want to have to roll fenders or use spacers.
Current wheels on it are the stock 14's for that year model, tyre size is 195/65 14 of that helps out !
I haven't got it lowered at all yet but I'll be looking to do that after get wheels

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys !
+15 all around is good for a 15x7. Can use 205/55 tires without rubbing.
__________________
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #1509
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 13,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolffenheise View Post
I've just got reps Borbet Type A's 15x8 ET10 with 195x50 rubber all round.

Fronts sit quite nice with 5mm spacer.

wondering tire size for the rears and possibly spacer to fill the guards a bit more. rears currently have 195x50's. I can't lower the rear any more as the exhaust is sitting about 40mm from the ground as it is..

Whats a good setup to get half decent flush look?
195/50s are already the tallest you're going to easily fit on those wheels...an exhaust re-think may be necessary if you want to keep running 16s.
__________________
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:27 PM   #1510
MercuryMan
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fayetteville, AR (NWA)
Posts: 2
So I recently joined the E30 scene. Bought a 1991 Black Vert for a good price and no doubt even used it's the best car I've owned. But it does need some updating. The current tires are toast and the wrong size, 195/70R14, and the basket weaves center hubs are cracked so one center cap is missing and the others are loose. The suspension is worn (mostly in the back) and rattles a bit, but even so the car drives amazingly and is so responsive to the driver, just great!

So for the wheels/tires, I'm looking at some Beyern Wheels (not BBS I know but hopefully decent), either 15x7 with 205/55 all around, or 17x7 with 215/40's. I know I need a suspension update and a mild drop would be ideal. Which wheels/tires would be best and what is the best "bang" for your buck suspension wise. I don't want to roll the fenders. It's my daily driver and no track time is really planned but I do like an awesome handling car. Thanks for any advice you guys can offer. Once I figure it out, I'll post some pics.
MercuryMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:09 PM   #1511
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 13,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryMan View Post
So I recently joined the E30 scene. Bought a 1991 Black Vert for a good price and no doubt even used it's the best car I've owned. But it does need some updating. The current tires are toast and the wrong size, 195/70R14, and the basket weaves center hubs are cracked so one center cap is missing and the others are loose. The suspension is worn (mostly in the back) and rattles a bit, but even so the car drives amazingly and is so responsive to the driver, just great!

So for the wheels/tires, I'm looking at some Beyern Wheels (not BBS I know but hopefully decent), either 15x7 with 205/55 all around, or 17x7 with 215/40's. I know I need a suspension update and a mild drop would be ideal. Which wheels/tires would be best and what is the best "bang" for your buck suspension wise. I don't want to roll the fenders. It's my daily driver and no track time is really planned but I do like an awesome handling car. Thanks for any advice you guys can offer. Once I figure it out, I'll post some pics.
Find wheels that are +20 to +25 in offset and 7.5" wide or less, as a rough guide. The sizes you mentioned work in those above offset ranges. Beyern wheels are decent quality, certainly seem better than the Chinese/Taiwanese stuff that has taken over the market.
__________________
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #1512
BigD
the misanthropist
 
BigD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: a house
Posts: 6,248
Dude what offset could a 17x9 with 245s clear? We found one with ET15... does it have a chance?
__________________
BigD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:17 AM   #1513
MercuryMan
1st Gear Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fayetteville, AR (NWA)
Posts: 2
Thanks Mystikal! The website I found selling them doesn't list the offset, but Beyern only seems to make them in +27 in the 7" wide wheels (15" and 17") that are designed for BMW's. Can 2mm make a difference or will this fit? Maybe the 17's are safer due to the strut clearance?
MercuryMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:42 PM   #1514
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 13,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Dude what offset could a 17x9 with 245s clear? We found one with ET15... does it have a chance?
The rim would just clear, but a 245 Ho Ho mounted might not work.
__________________
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #1515
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Stance
Posts: 13,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryMan View Post
Thanks Mystikal! The website I found selling them doesn't list the offset, but Beyern only seems to make them in +27 in the 7" wide wheels (15" and 17") that are designed for BMW's. Can 2mm make a difference or will this fit? Maybe the 17's are safer due to the strut clearance?
Either will fit fine, and use the tire sizes you mentioned before.
__________________
Mystikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2018