Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 7 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-22-2015, 11:03 PM   #1
arturb
2nd Gear Member

740 iL Door/Trunk Lock Help!!

Hi guys,
so my battery died. After panicking for a bit about not being able to get in the car since the battery died with doors locked i saw that you can open the door by turning the key all the all to the left.
cool. got in the car, charged the battery enough to open the trunk. took the battery out and charged it for two days until it was back up to full potential.
put it back in the car and all was good. EXCEPT my drivers door (the one i used to get in) and my trunk won't lock now, manually or with the key fob.
i can't find anything on the drivers door about resetting it in the event you use the emergency method to get it. I haven't had a chance to pop the door panel off and take a look at whats going on behind there but i will eventually.
i did read that you can reset the trunk by pushing the latch in and unlocking it normally. Thats is not the case here. i push the latch in and it won't unlock with the fob. My lock cylinder on the trunk has never worked on me. It won't even turn a bit yet the key opens the door and starts the engine no problem. So I'm assuming that is stuck? the funny thing is the trunk worked fine up until two days ago. even when i boosted the car a bit to open the trunk i used the inside release for it.
am i missing something? can anyone help?
thank you
arturb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 01:07 PM   #2
740-iLL
Founder of GTA7's

When you turned the key lock all the way to the left to open it, after opening it, did you turn the key lock back to its original location?

I ask because I remember that the trunk lock will stay in the horizontal position (-) when used to open the trunk manually and needs to be turned back to the vertical position (|)
Old 12-23-2015, 07:00 PM   #3
arturb
2nd Gear Member

Funny I was talking to someone about this and they said the same thing. I'm 99% percent sure I did. I will double check what the position is and I'll try moving it

My e38 Build
Old 12-26-2015, 02:04 PM   #4
arturb
2nd Gear Member

so i tried moving the key back and forth to see if it would engage the lock again with no avail. tried touching the battery cables also with no avail as to reset any electrical issues. drivers and trunk locks still don't work. and now the two rear doors aren't locking/unlocking via the fob either! this is quickly becoming a nightmare.
i took the door panel off of the drivers door and everything seems to be engaged still unless it is something internal to the lock mechanism.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:00 PM   #5
Scolirk
2nd Gear Member

Best bet would be to head over to http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/fo...1995-2001-(E38) if you haven't done so already, some of the members there are very experienced with the E38 as well as these problems.

If the trunk lock is completely horizontal, you'll need to turn it counter-clockwise back to it's vertical position to re-engage it.

What happens when all the doors are closed and you press the central lock button inside? What happens when you try to use the lock/unlock button on the key fob? Does the alarm system engage and the door locks stay 'unlocked'?
Old 01-10-2016, 11:34 AM   #6
arturb
2nd Gear Member

i did post on bummer forums at the same time i posted here actually.
my trunk lock is vertical. Ive never been able to turn it. And i don't force it too much in fear of breaking my key.
when the doors are closed and i press the central lock button the front passenger door locks/unlocks but the rears don't move at all and neither does the driver door
Old 01-17-2016, 07:40 PM   #7
arturb
2nd Gear Member

I've come to the conclusion my electrical issue are due to high humidity in the car. My sunroof was leaking and a few times i found water inside. i can see condensation in the windows. well see in the spring. ill take measures to eliminate the humidity and hopefully get things working in the car again.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:54 PM   #8
Shomby
1st Gear Newbie

My battery has died and I cannot open my hood due to to boost. I have tried to open trunk with key but it does not seem to work. I had a problem once before when battery died (required alternator) and I could not open trunk for a couple of months regardless of method.
Mechanic told me there was a sequence to using the key manually for opening trunk. He showed me but I don't recall. Anyone know anything?

Thanks!
Shomby is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: