Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-24-2003, 05:59 PM   #1
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Got a Turbo Need HeLP..

a freind of mine gave me a turbo from some sort of audi. the turbo has about 8,000KM on it. it looks new/ polish. Does anyone knows if it will fit my m20 and if so wat other parts will i need to get this turbo hooked up to my m20 motor. am not plannin on rebuildin the motor. any help will be appreciatid. or is there any shops that can install the turbo for me for a good price.

thanx in advance..
Old 09-24-2003, 06:01 PM   #2
jeremy
6th Gear Member

you need alot of other parts...is there any markings/stampings on the turbo ?
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 06:02 PM   #3
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

yes there is i will post it later on tonight.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:08 PM   #4
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
if it's from an Audi A4, it's most likely a KKK K03 Turbo. Those turbos aren't that big. Because of it's size you'll get nice instant boost from the low to mid range revband.

For sure you'll need an exhaust manifold that'll fit the turbo on, either custom or from another oem turbo'ed bmw.
Old 09-24-2003, 08:36 PM   #5
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

here is the stampings for both turbos i got.
1. Kkk germany 078145704S (k03-17 Ek50045685) 058 TW1

2. KKK germany 058 145 703j ( k03-029DC5027128)

Just want to know is it possible to put both turbos in? if so wat perfomace shop can machine me a manifold for it.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:36 PM   #6
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

you need

1. piping
2. exhaust manifold
3. you might need an intercooler
4. check your damn engine man!! lol

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 11:46 PM   #7
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Seriously I don't see any point in using two turbo's on your car, unless you want to mimmic the S4, hehe, which is a V6 with each turbo (2 turbos total) getting exhaust gases from 3 cylinders.

If I were you, I'd stick to a single turbo setup.
Old 09-24-2003, 11:54 PM   #8
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by 328DTM
Seriously I don't see any point in using two turbo's on your car, unless you want to mimmic the S4, hehe, which is a V6 with each turbo (2 turbos total) getting exhaust gases from 3 cylinders.

If I were you, I'd stick to a single turbo setup.
i do see a point if its a euro 3.0L (Van;s motor) hahaha..

zimmie, stick with the bigger single turbo..it is more better and easier to do. an exhaust shop can make all the piping and exhaust work, all you need is the manifold and intercooler..and someone to install it

i'd say an eclipse intercooler should be sufficient...or even the one DJcontra has. good luck

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 12:01 AM   #9
Euro_E30
6th Gear Member

hey zimmie if ur not gonna go through with it and u decide to sell it ill buy it off u!!!!! let me know
Old 09-25-2003, 02:51 AM   #10
nzer
4th Gear Member

OK,

since i'm doing a turbo m20 project and a bit further along than you are.. i'll let you know what ya in for.

What year is your car? If you have L-Jetronic there is no way your going to be able to add boost, the ecu won't cope. Motronic is not much better and your going to have to use a Rising Rate Fuel pressure regulator to stop it leaning out. The RRFPR is not a recommended option.

You'll need to replace your L-Jet or Motronic with some sort of aftermarket ECU that can handle direct fire ignition. I'm using the Link. Since the dizzy can't retard the spark when the car is under boost, you'll need some way of getting a crank angle (the motronic gearbox has this) reading to run the DFI system. I'm using mitsi VR4 coils for the ignition and i'm not sure what ignitor yet. I haven't figured out how i'm getting a crank angle sensor yet, I'm looking into converting the dizzy but i'm not sure if its accurate enough.

You can use your stock manifold... Just a 2 in 1 pipe should do the jobby to go into the turbo. A whole new exhaust system is good, since I don't have to meet any emission standards like you guys I don't have a problem with cats and what not. The tubing and what not shouldn't be a problem for a shop to make and any old intercooler will do, (i think i'm getting one off an mr2) .

Since you'll be using a MAP system instead of your AFM you don't have to worry about that. (assuming of course you replace your stock ECU, otherwise i guess you could run charge pipes straight into the AFM).

I'm not doing anything to my stock m20 , i'm expecting it to die so i've got another motor lined up for when that happens.

I'm doing mine on a budget, $3500 kiwi dollars, thats everything, and doing it pretty much all myself except tuning the new ECU and making the manifold bit and some associated piping.

If you have 2 cars its even better cause yours will be out of action for a while.

The main things are, replace your ECU with something that can do your DFI and MAP needs. This makes the tuning and troubleshooting process much easier.

Hope that helps.

E30sport (if it survives) is a great place to find out turbo info for the m20. Good luck.

edit: I forgot.. the turbo will die with too much oil pressure! (this has been happening to a few people on e3s) You need something to reduce its pressure, it should just be bathed in oil.

Last edited by nzer; 09-25-2003 at 02:57 AM.
nzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 09:58 PM   #11
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
nzer, can't zimmie just get a chip for his car made?
thats what us e36 guys do. I've never heard of replacing the ECU over here...

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2003, 05:45 AM   #12
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nzer
OK,

since i'm doing a turbo m20 project and a bit further along than you are.. i'll let you know what ya in for.

What year is your car? If you have L-Jetronic there is no way your going to be able to add boost, the ecu won't cope. Motronic is not much better and your going to have to use a Rising Rate Fuel pressure regulator to stop it leaning out. The RRFPR is not a recommended option.

You'll need to replace your L-Jet or Motronic with some sort of aftermarket ECU that can handle direct fire ignition. I'm using the Link. Since the dizzy can't retard the spark when the car is under boost, you'll need some way of getting a crank angle (the motronic gearbox has this) reading to run the DFI system. I'm using mitsi VR4 coils for the ignition and i'm not sure what ignitor yet. I haven't figured out how i'm getting a crank angle sensor yet, I'm looking into converting the dizzy but i'm not sure if its accurate enough.

You can use your stock manifold... Just a 2 in 1 pipe should do the jobby to go into the turbo. A whole new exhaust system is good, since I don't have to meet any emission standards like you guys I don't have a problem with cats and what not. The tubing and what not shouldn't be a problem for a shop to make and any old intercooler will do, (i think i'm getting one off an mr2) .

Since you'll be using a MAP system instead of your AFM you don't have to worry about that. (assuming of course you replace your stock ECU, otherwise i guess you could run charge pipes straight into the AFM).

I'm not doing anything to my stock m20 , i'm expecting it to die so i've got another motor lined up for when that happens.

I'm doing mine on a budget, $3500 kiwi dollars, thats everything, and doing it pretty much all myself except tuning the new ECU and making the manifold bit and some associated piping.

If you have 2 cars its even better cause yours will be out of action for a while.

The main things are, replace your ECU with something that can do your DFI and MAP needs. This makes the tuning and troubleshooting process much easier.

Hope that helps.

E30sport (if it survives) is a great place to find out turbo info for the m20. Good luck.

edit: I forgot.. the turbo will die with too much oil pressure! (this has been happening to a few people on e3s) You need something to reduce its pressure, it should just be bathed in oil.
thanx for all the info.
am about to start shopin for intercooler's. which one should i go for? does it matter wat it comes out of? are they all universal bolt on/?>?
Old 09-26-2003, 05:51 AM   #13
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by djcontra
nzer, can't zimmie just get a chip for his car made?
thats what us e36 guys do. I've never heard of replacing the ECU over here...
Am just goin to but in a regular perfomance ECU nothin big am try to keep this as low $$ as possible.

hey wat all that secret about? r u droppin that engine in ur e36?
do u have anypics of ur fiero?
Old 09-27-2003, 12:57 AM   #14
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
Quote:
Originally posted by ZiMMie
hey wat all that secret about? r u droppin that engine in ur e36?
do u have anypics of ur fiero?
I picked up an engine from a wrecker the other day because the price was ''right''
I'm just going to mod it in the meantime because one day I plan on stuffing it into my car Can you guess what engine it is? I'll give you a hint...twin-turbo

Customized Fiero Pics (1 of 3 I owned ):

(you can see the other two in the background. The black one I eventually sold, and the one under the blue tarp was my kitcar before I stretched it. I had to cover it up because all the body panels and engine were removed and it looked hideous )

now back on topic!!

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Last edited by djcontra; 09-27-2003 at 01:01 AM.
djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 03:31 AM   #15
nzer
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ZiMMie
Am just goin to but in a regular perfomance ECU nothin big am try to keep this as low $$ as possible.
If you have Motronic.. perhaps an upgraded ECU will do. The thing that i would be worried about would be the distributor not being able to retard the spark enough... thats why i'm going with a whole aftermarket ECU so I can tune it all on a laptop. Also neither Motronic nor L-Jet have the capability to run a DFI coil system.

As for intercooler, anything will do really.. just whatever you can make fit. Don't waste $$$ on it.

DJContra: I'm not sure but don't e36s have a DFI system already so you could map a new ignition map to them pretty easily. My e30 at least doesn't have a very advanced ecu.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: