Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Multimedia > Rides
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-10-2007, 12:02 AM   #1
Anomili
2nd Gear Member

New Member: '98 328i

Hey all. I have a 87 Toyota supra and my dad has a 98 328i. We both work on and drive each other's cars though so I often in passing refer to it as "my bmw" (mostly because I love it as much as I love my supra!) Just though i would join up because I am starting to finally do some performance mods and as such will be doing more extensive research into possible options. I've included two pictures of the car with its winter wheels and tires. I'll take more pictures later when I have the summer (18 inch Kaiser Circus) rims w/ Pirelli P Zero Nero Tires on. Other than wheels, the car has an alpine head unit w/ 12" Apline type R woofer in the back and tinted windows (legal of course). Let me know what you think and feel free to drop me some advice if you have any.

I am looking into exhausts and intakes to start w/ some engine management stuff if possible (I don't know much about the BMW ecu yet.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00066(edit).jpg (106.6 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00067(edit2).jpg (86.8 KB, 302 views)

Last edited by Anomili; 04-10-2007 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Arg! Resize!
Anomili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
NateoriouS
Nateorious C.A.G

Welcome to Max.... nice car(s)

'88 E30 325i sold
'88 E30 325i 2.7 stroker sold
'95 E36 318i sold
'94 E36 325ic Cabriolet sold
'87 Mazda RX-7 Turbo II sold
'96 E36 328i Cabriolet - sold
'92 Mazda Miata Black Nardi Edition sold
'98 E36 M3 Cabriolet -

"Float like a Cadillac, Sting like a BEAMER" ... ... Lightning McQueen
NateoriouS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
Anomili
2nd Gear Member

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
v_bimmer
Jailbait FTW

you cars looks good!! the advice i would give you is when you need somehting for your e36, then make sure to looks into our sponsors because they are great, and you can get your work done through them and get cheap parts!!

as for the car, i would say drop it, maybe get a chip, and you can do simple visual stuff like black grills, maybe m3 mouldings!!! its great that your car does not have grey skirts!!!
Old 04-10-2007, 05:52 PM   #5
Anomili
2nd Gear Member

Good advice, thanks. I already read almost all of this forum and have been checking out the sponsors. I think that I will get in contact with RMP when I get back to the city next month. IMHO the stock suspension is pretty sweet, although I am used to an 87 Toyota .

As for mods, I am thinking of getting an exhaust shop to set be up with a dual exhaust (give me a nice deep roar.) I would welcome any advice on intakes though, the Dinan one is $400!!!!
Old 04-13-2007, 11:43 PM   #6
PedroBMW
Hooked on Boost

my advice on an intake is not to waste your money on something too expensive. Just look for an intake with a good filter that has some way of preventing it from sucking in the hot air from under the hood. So you either want one that goes down deep to the bumper area or has a heat sheild. But other than that I wouldn't waste anymore than maybe $120 on an intake cause the gains are so small that it doesn't matter either way, the more expensive ones are just for looks. Even an intake made of PVC or something would perform fine and sound good lol.

I would check out ebay, just get something cheap like cosmos racing that looks precent decent (chrome or whatever) and slap a genuine K&N filter on their and call it a day. For the price of the dinan you could by a markD chip as well.

Here u go man by this guys heatshield for $30
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...01051356QQrdZ1
Combine that with one of these for $10
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-98...03595064QQrdZ1
and then throw that crappy filter out and by a K&N at Canadien Tire for $60 and youve got yourself a great intake for $100

http://www.foldingtrailers.ca

Last edited by PedroBMW; 04-13-2007 at 11:52 PM.
PedroBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:48 AM   #7
JUS_CRZN
My other car's a jet.

Welcome to the wonderful world of maxbimmer!
Old 04-14-2007, 01:31 PM   #8
Anomili
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the advice! I think I'm going to check out more options in May when I am back. I will probably go the "make it yourself root." Heat shields aren't that hard to make, and it appears as though the intake is just a glorified pipe with a K&N attached to it.

Again though, don't I need to buy software for a 98 328i? I keep thinking that the chips don't work with 98+.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:36 PM   #9
PedroBMW
Hooked on Boost

yeah sorry re-flash not chip, 328s are OBD2.

Man honestly if u want any sorta performance bang for your buck I would get yourself an LSD with a differnt ratio. Ur car stock has a 2.93 open diff, get yourself a 3.23, 3.38 or 3.91 LSD and you won't even believe how much harder the car will accellerate + LSD. By far the best mod someone can do to a stock 328 IMO.

http://www.foldingtrailers.ca
PedroBMW is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: