Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-31-2007, 07:59 PM   #1
Joli
2nd Gear Member

Help, broken lug nut

Hey guys i've got a big problem,

I had my brakes done, and when putting the aftermarket wheels back on my Sentra, one of the lug nuts broke at the base. I cannot get at it with the key, and now, it's stuck on there. The brake guy that did it said that he wasn't able to remove it, so now, i'm stuck, bigtime!

Anyways, i'm hoping a shop in Oshawa, Ajax, or Pickering would be able to remove it without damaging my rim. I'm a little nervous about it because there is barely any room to fit anything between the base of the nut, and the rim.

The brake guy said, someone my have to drill out the stud, and then i'd have to find someone to put that on...

Anyone have any advice? I'd really appreciate it... if not, do you know someone that my have the right tool to get this off?

Thanks guys, take care, I cannot wait to get rid of this Sentra and get my first Bimmer.... I'm thinkin 2004 330i?

Take care,

Joli
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:36 PM   #2
FuryriderX
cra.iX.y

stupid tards with impact guns. this is why you put on your wheels with a torque wrench or a long ratchet. impact guns must be used in moderation

that being said, those nuts are pretty tough. i would think it'd be easy to break them. usually they have a little tapered part, then the hex part. your saying the hex part broke off, and the tapered part is still stuck on?

is there any recompense you can get from the shop for breaking something like that? i know if someone busted something important on my car they'd get more than just a slap on the wrist.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:03 PM   #3
JazzM
6th Gear Member

tell them to replace the wheel hub with a new one.

T.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:17 PM   #4
Joli
2nd Gear Member

Well guys, it was friend who did the brake job... he did an awesome job on the brakes, just a crappy lug nut is all. It's stuck on there pretty good, and I think the only other way would be to drill out the center of the post, in turn breaking the lug off, then having to buy a new post (apparently they are cheap) and then getting the new one on.

If not that, I'd need to cut the lug off the post, but it's very tight and I do not wanna damage the rim doing so, or have a shop damage it...

I'm at a loss of what to do, this is stressing the hell out of me...

Any other suggestions?

(Oh, and yes, the lug broke in half, with the front half of the lug, the part that is mostly visible coming off. The other half, is on the post (securely may I add) and is very difficult to get at due to the diameter of the lug holes...

Yeah, the guy was using a torque wrench, it just broke for no reason, maybe faulty, but other than that, I have no idea what to do...
Old 03-31-2007, 11:18 PM   #5
FuryriderX
cra.iX.y

it sucks when something like that happens, especially if it was a friend that did it. i know cause i've done stuff like that in the past.

drilling it out is probably the best solution. you _can_ extract the posts from the hub, usually, but a shop has to do that. make a center-punch in the middle, drill a little into the stud with a small drill bit, then use one the same diameter as the post to drill off what remains of the lug.

then (or even do this first!) find out if a shop can extract the post from the hub, and put in a new one. put on a spare wheel with the other (3? 4?) lugs, and drive SLOWLY to the shop. take a lug wrench with you incase they loosen. otherwise you may have to replace the hub. no idea on $$.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:48 PM   #6
Joli
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, that's what i'm going to do tomorrow hopefully, I can still drive on it as is now, so i'm going to take it in, hopefully they can do the drilling and fixing while i'm at work. Anyways, thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:55 PM   #7
Joli
2nd Gear Member

Well guys, I took it to a local shop in Ajax, the guy drilled the nut out for me without even making a mark in my Rim. A new stud was 3 bucks at the local dealer, worked out great. I bought some nicer lugs to put on my wheels so this never ever happens again, thanks for helping out...
Old 04-02-2007, 10:06 PM   #8
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

it was most likely due to the person who put the wheels on before over-tightening the lug nuts.

You can't blame the shop that tried to take it off and it broke.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:11 PM   #9
Joli
2nd Gear Member

You are misreading this post. I wasn't blaming any shop... The guy that put my summer rims on, different lugs, snapped a lug, wasn't his fault, would've happened to whoever put them on next for me... Anyways, whatever, it's all fixed now.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: