Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-01-2006, 06:14 PM   #16
tboy356
Ripp a Gear

^^ Im a 318 owner and i know u can maake 200 hp with a dasc but what about after that... i love my 318 but... i think im gonna swapp it this winter.. u dont need an air box make an intake.. suspension im gonna upgrade anyways to a coilover.

tboy356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:28 PM   #17
BMW_7
Econobimmer Racing

Send a message via AIM to BMW_7 Send a message via MSN to BMW_7
It all depends what you're looking for, It's worth it if you want to be different and keep your car for the long term.

Stay away from koperformance and Z3power.com (they also offered a hacked up Downing Atlanta kit). There were also huge threads on bimmerforums regarding this issue. All of these 318i power topics have been done to death on Bimmerforums, so if you're really interested you can do a search on DASC here or on BF.. Be prepared to spend a good day doing some resaerch. And yes, you can also get more power after going for DASC. Some initial gains like upping boost,flywheel, light pulleys, chip, etc etc will give you noticeable gains and free up your revs. It will be no M3 though as the speeds increase, though. You have to realize you are dealing with a gutless 1.8L with no torque.

I wish I had the money to get DASC back in 1997 when "200 hp" was a big deal but I doubt it even makes that much at the crank. But I still don't regret it. I believe I paid something like $4000 to drive down to Ohio and have it installed by a vendor there. It depends what you want. A lot of people (myself included) would go for an engine swap as well. However, my engine was in good shape and I didn't want to bother selling it.

Hope this helps some.

2000 Audi A8 SWB Silver/Black
1992 BMW 525iT/5 White/Blue [MPars, HIDs, cargo net]
1989 525i [scrapped]
1995 BMW 318i DASC [sold]
BMW_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:58 PM   #18
thundercat
1st Gear Newbie

y do they have to be so expensive
thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:43 PM   #19
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercat
y do they have to be so expensive
Extra power is always expensive, even a good engine swap is not cheap in the end. Buying a car with more HP is more(sometimes cheaper if you sold your car then doing a swap) Like the DASC is around the $3K Mark, and then you get the guys with the M3's and the twin screws(twin screws are expensive as well) then you have the turbo's as well, I know someone who is close to $6K worth of work into his turbo setup.

It sucks the price, but it's all part of the game. It comes down to who has the thicker wallet, if it wasn't for that we'd all have 10 second cars..and it would suck.

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:07 PM   #20
jeffrie
Addict

Expensive....It's BMW, their not ment to be power houses hence why it costs so much to make them powerful. They were desighned over 10 yrs ago (when 200 HP was a fast car) to be a fun sporty reliable grocery getter that could also cruis down the hyway in luxury.
Theirs alot cheaper out their that would kill a 400 RWHP E36. Then you have to take into account the $$$ needed to make that kind of power out of anything BMW has ever built (in that era). Want cheap need to go ealswere and or modern to compete with modern cars & HP #'s.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.
jeffrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:02 PM   #21
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
for a I6 swap all you need is the motor, stock I6 engine mounts (there is no custom work needed), cats/muffler, airbox/CAI, cluster, rad, wiring harness and ECU. The tranny is the same, the whole rear end can stay as well.
Suspension is optional, an I6 weighs 36-40kg over the the 4cyl. The compressor does add weight as well, not quite as much obviously.

I'd take any (2.5L+) I6 over a supercharged 4cyl. I have yet to hear and a stock 318 with a DA SC (w/o the smaller pulley) beating a 328 in a straight line.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:51 PM   #22
jeffrie
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
I have yet to hear and a stock 318 with a DA SC (w/o the smaller pulley) beating a 328 in a straight line.
My pully is stock and I beat a 328i in a streight line till I reached my govonor at 190KPH with my DASC.
Just did it today too for the first time, well two if you count # 2 on the hyw home, but that was just cat & mouse through traffic (sighting 328i with dealer ontario plate on the quebec side) I had luck of the traffic openings .

Edit: ohh you specificaly stated "stock"...... ironic that DASC is also in that sentance with "Stock" 318.

Current Mods....X-Brace, Stromung Cat Back Exhaust, 17/225/45 M3 Replicas, HotBits Adjustable Coil Overs, 40% LSD 3:91 Diff, E30 Gearbox, Boosted.

Last edited by jeffrie; 02-22-2007 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:02 PM   #23
thinair
moderationistismingly

was the 328 automatic? a stock manual 328 will run high 14's in the 1/4 mile. Then again the 318 does have the gearing advantage (3.46 vs 2.93, 18% more torque being multiplied through the gearing)

And I meant no other modifications aside from the blower (exhaust, shorter gearing, weight reduction, etc)
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 02-22-2007, 10:04 PM   #24
jeffrie
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinair
was the 328 automatic? a stock manual 328 will run high 14's in the 1/4 mile. Then again the 318 does have the gearing advantage (3.46 vs 2.93, 18% more torque being multiplied through the gearing)

And I meant no other modifications aside from the blower (exhaust, shorter gearing, weight reduction, etc)
5 speed yes, no clue about the hyw one.
Geuss I don't count with all them other rules you through in.

Ohh the SC weighs about 10 lbs.

Last edited by jeffrie; 02-22-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:17 PM   #25
thinair
moderationistismingly

Well, then it's not a 'stock' 318 with a blower vs. a stock 328 anymore isn't it
That's awesome if you can pull on a 328 with your mods though. The 3.91 diff must pull great, although I bet you're wishing you had a 6th gear sometimes (I want a 3.91 and a 6spd btw)
Old 02-22-2007, 10:26 PM   #26
jeffrie
Addict

See no need to have 6 speeds & a 3:91 diff (especialy in a 328) 1st & 2nd are useless.
Have a vid somewere if you'd like me to dig it up to show how easily a 4 pot rakes through them to actualy slow it down.
I think it's just the stock gearing in e36's that blows.
1:1 5th? IMO that's just stupid.
Thinking Yank 1st, make 2nd the new first (maybe lower a little bit) and move the rest down then replace 5th with a .89 OD and a perfect ratio wit minimal shifts & loss of accel time IMO.
Or just slam on an e30 tranny that comes this way stock.

Last edited by jeffrie; 02-22-2007 at 10:38 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: