Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-20-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
frankzen
2nd Gear Member

Puzzling problem

I have a strange problem with my '95 318i. I keep hearing a sort of grinding noise from the right front wheel area when I am driving. But it is not there all the time - seems if it were a bearing it would make noise all the time and if it were a stuck caliper or something liem that it would affect braking, which ti doesn't. Anybody got any ideas ???
Old 02-21-2007, 11:43 AM   #2
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

Check your dust sheild if you have one. Does the noise only come around when turning the wheels? It might be that rubbing on your disc.

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day

Last edited by Nascar318is; 02-21-2007 at 12:14 PM.
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 02:47 PM   #3
frankzen
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar318is
Check your dust sheild if you have one. Does the noise only come around when turning the wheels? It might be that rubbing on your disc.
Nope - no dust shield, and turning the wheel left/right WHEN it's making noise doesn't change anything. A nearby garage checked it - found NOTHING, but the noise is there - it happened at the end of my commute to work this morning. I am totally baffled. The noise also sounds serious, like bearings grinding themselves into dust.

Cheers
Old 02-21-2007, 03:06 PM   #4
E36is
'OldSchool..'

^^ maybe not look into the braking components or wheel components.. but rather engine components.. like idler pulleys, water pump, steering.. they also have bearings.. just a thought..
Old 02-21-2007, 03:10 PM   #5
frankzen
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36is
^^ maybe not look into the braking components or wheel components.. but rather engine components.. like idler pulleys, water pump, steering.. they also have bearings.. just a thought..

Trouble is the noise is ONLY heard when the car is in motion...at idle the engine is as quiet as a well-oiled Swiss watch Seriously, only when the car is moving is anything heard so it has to be wheel-related.

Cheers
Old 02-21-2007, 03:16 PM   #6
E36is
'OldSchool..'

^^ hmm.. thinking back in summer, a fellow member here also had a problem like that too.. he swore the grinding sound was coming from the front brakes, and we looked at it and found no rubbing, i even suspected dust cover but that had clearance.. He ultimately found the grinding sound to be at the back rotors.. specifically the emergency pads at one of the rear rotors were worn out and was dragging and making the sounds. check into that.. you could have the same thing..
Old 02-21-2007, 03:19 PM   #7
Nascar318is
6th Gear Member

This might help if it is coming from the rear.
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84327

How are your front pads? Maybe you're at the warning pin, and it's rubbing on your disc.

1994 318is-Sold July 13th 2010.. Sad Sad Day
Nascar318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 03:23 PM   #8
Soldo
6th Gear Member

I had the same problem in my rear drivers side wheel. My bearing was shot. The noise started only once in a while. I noticed it a lot when there was a lot of force on that specific wheel. Eventually it got so bad that the bearing pretty much fell apart, and it made the grinding noise all the time cause all the bearings went loose.
Old 02-21-2007, 08:48 PM   #9
frankzen
2nd Gear Member

Well, so far the consensus is it's coming from the rear...could be but I'd swear on a stack of bibles it's the right front. Pads seem fine..car brakes well and no noise, or at least additional noise. You guys maybe on to something with the suggestion it's the back brakes...my emergency recently stopped working...dunno why but it seems the noise started soon after that. Strange thing is it comes and goes, or maybe I just can't hear at at 180 kph

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll have the back looked at (garage is full of junk and it's still too cold ).

Cheers

Frank

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: